[18x03] February 12th, 2012

[18x03] February 12th, 2012

• Total voters
@andoxviii.
Calm down, I didn't know who he was besides that he starred in Van Wilder so many years ago... I apologize for offending you, but seriously, just because I don't know pop culture doesn't mean I'm insulting a country...

I know that Clarkson and Wilman announced that this one won't be for the petrolheads, but I think that they're missing a very important point: the diehard fans don't only want to see the dry car stuff and hypercars. They can live with a show just like this one as well. Just stop making it as stupid and insulting as pretty much everything else on tv, and you're there. Being just as good (or bad for that matter) as everyone around you can hardly be a standard worth aiming at.
Very key point. Jeremy and Andy obviously still don't know why the 'petrolhead' community sometimes pan them.

It's not because there's no cars. It's not because there's explosions. It's because they're just making poor television. Why does Richard Hammond have to pretend to blow up the wrong caravan? Or Jezza pretending to care about the TC. Or Richard pretending to confuse Ray Wistone with Bob Hoskins... That stuff was getting old 10 seasons ago. Sure seems to be a lot of bullshit for people who are supposed to tell it straight.

@petraman
Sorry man... Didn't mean to come across as a douche. (it kind of comes naturally for me) I was just venting.
:) cheers

First time I've posted in a long while... only came on here to admit that I gave it a 7/10 just a few moments ago, although I already regret doing so. This episode is a 6 at most. Which makes it my lowest scoring episode in years. Teh crew totally got the main segment wrong but it's not like they can just scrap it altogether. Anyways, the first two episodes were excellent.

James' bit and the news were the best part. And the part where Richard said "You ripped its ass off!".

Other than that, it was meh, stop destroying brand new cars!

... it was meh, stop destroying brand new cars!

I agree. For what it cost to trash the car they could have shot a real segment.

The show is pitiful compared to just a couple of years ago. It'll never return to it's glory as long as JC thinks he's hot shit. Truth is he's just an overpaid obnoxious old putz who was once funny.

Great performance by Jeremy the Hypocrite.

So last week he goes on camera for an exclusive online video addressing online car enthusiasts, insulting them and telling them that Top Gear has a much larger audience that isn't really interested in cars.

Then he goes on the show, being watched by millions of people, making a segment where he is insisting on getting the automotive facts right and being all about cars.

So which is it, Jeremy? I get the fact that he is trying to be funny, and that there will always be a group of people disappointed with what Top Gear is/isn't, but insulting your most loyal fans is hardly a clever thing to do.

But back to the overall episode - overall okay, but nothing to write home about.

Yay, first post. That said, pretty yawn inducing episode which is just terribly frustrating after a great start to the series.

James bit was ok but nothing amazing. The news was good and definitely had the highlight of the episode in that insanely cute brunette that was behind James, that I think I may have genuinely fallen in love with. SIARPC was pretty damn good too, which surprised me. Reynolds seems like a pretty cool guy and was funny. Car-chase was cringe worth on all fronts though, *especially* Richard's bits. I've got to say though, the final cut was pretty awesome. All in all, it gets a 6. Hope next week is better.

Really liked the Panda review. James actually voices many reasons why I love my VW's, and my father drives an Accent hatchback. Sports cars, and super cars are awesome, but having to wait until you get onto a track to have fun? Not so much. Drive a small, slow car, and trash it everywhere. No track needed.

The news was hilarious. Loved watching Hammond and May take the piss out of Jezza. (regardless of the fact that I agree with him somewhat)

The Sweeny chase bit alternated between kick-ass, and face palm. Jeremy seems to have an understanding of how to make a movie, Hammond, not so much. Laughed my ass off quite a few times, but left a dent in my skull with the flat of my hand also.

The finished product that the TopGear editing staff came up with was actually really good.

VanWilder was not near as bad as I expected. It was nice to see the SIARPC actually get in on the jokes, and do some ribbing in return. Not as surprised with his lap time. Most of us who ride motorcycles tend to be faster in cars than those who dont.

Gave it a 7 overall. Could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse.

So last week he goes on camera for an exclusive online video addressing online car enthusiasts, insulting them and telling them that Top Gear has a much larger audience that isn't really interested in cars.

And missing points like the main criticism doesn't come from diehard car bores but from diehard Top Gear enthusiasts, and that it isn't so much about too little car content but about, well, too much bad television.

insulting your most loyal fans is hardly a clever thing to do.

Well, as long as it was actually done in a clever and funny way, it could be very entertaining, even to the insulted. In a tongue-in-cheek-ish sort of way. They're car bores themselves and have been very good at making great comedy by poking fun at themselves, by not taking themselves too seriously.

It's just that this somehow wasn't very clever and funny. Too much talk. It dragged on. And it is just not conceivable that Hammond should still be stuck in the 80s as far as car chases go, as if "Transporter" or "Ronin" never existed. (Or even the latest Bond generation, come to think of it. Somebody at the Bond franchise must also have seen "Ronin" at some point.)

It wouldn't even be sufficiently conceivable if he had the acting skills of, well, way better actors.

Hugh Laurie could have pulled that off, but only partially because of his superior acting skills. The other part would be that he hasn't been a Top Gear presenter for the past decade. He's been "House MD" and could transfer a good deal of supposed car chase ignorance from that persona.

When is he going into the Kia anyway?

Last edited:
Hammond is trying way too hard and it shows. I don't mind some of the silliness but he ruins the jokes by either being too obvious or too obnoxious. It wasn't so bad several years ago but it has definitely gotten worse over the years.

Very key point. Jeremy and Andy obviously still don't know why the 'petrolhead' community sometimes pan them.

It's not because there's no cars. It's not because there's explosions. It's because they're just making poor television. Why does Richard Hammond have to pretend to blow up the wrong caravan? Or Jezza pretending to care about the TC. Or Richard pretending to confuse Ray Wistone with Bob Hoskins... That stuff was getting old 10 seasons ago. Sure seems to be a lot of bullshit for people who are supposed to tell it straight.

+rep for you, sir.

My thoughts exactly: It's not the absence of cars that's giving us headaches, it's the god-awful "acting" and scripting. There's nothing worse than "forced" humor/jokes delivered by guys who are neither comedians nor actors ...

S.

Last edited:
Not as surprised with his lap time. Most of us who ride motorcycles tend to be faster in cars than those who dont.

I had another glass of Vasse Felix after reading this. Glad to know that the supply of new livers will not dry up in a hurry.

+rep for you, sir.

+ rep for plus repping rideclutch

Reactions: TC
I am in no way a petrolhead so car reviews don't interest me so much (May played up to his usual characterisation very well, anyway, and that was good enough for me) but even I could not put up with the crappy stunt thing. I like Hammond, I honestly do, but he needs to realise that kids don't watch this particular show. I'm not 8 years old so I was bored out of my mind with his bits.

Ryan Reynolds was amazingly good...looking (haha) and quite an entertaining guest. I like when the SIARPC can match (and surpass) Jeremy's zingers. I was hoping to give this episode 10/10 just for this part, but then the stunt stuff returned with a vengeance so... an average-ish 7 from me.

I liked May's bit, fat people might have needed bit more perspective, maybe a dragrace... News was decent, but the Sweeny was terrible. I personaly just hate forced comedy, they get genuine moments quite often, but when they try to act it doesn't work out...

I don't have much against intentional destruction, specialy when host enjoy it, but trying to make it look accidental is just wrong...

6/10. I know the whole thing is scripted, but it's too obvious sometimes.
News was great, SIARPC was rather funny and May's bit was epic. But the stunt movie part, which was the main story, was awful imho.