[18x03] February 12th, 2012

[18x03] February 12th, 2012

• Total voters
Liked James' corsa test although didn't like how he got the panda involved.. Should've just stayed with the n?rburcorsa.
News like always, some good stuff some bad stuff.
When Jezza said that they were doing this I though this was going to be horrid, but J actually was suprised me with the talent and effort he put into this (on the first bit). Ric was idiot like always in this kind of thing and he overblew it!
I've been enjoying more of the SIARPC-segment lately because of the more international guest list and the same continues, nice man good chat.

In all 8/10

I've just read every post in this thread, and 99% of people who have something negative to say do not live in the UK. If you don't understand the humour and the references to British culture, then you shouldn't review this episode.

I've just read every post in this thread, and 99% of people who have something negative to say do not live in the UK. If you don't understand the humour and the references to British culture, then you shouldn't review this episode.

The first page alone provides enough counter-examples to disprove this:
Fucking tg comedy.
After all these years, top gear is really losing my interest. The top gear guys aren't actors, almost everything they do now seems so forced.
My favourite parts of tg are usually Jeremy and Richard messing around but I felt this was there worst segment for a long time.

Started off good, but then fell apart towards the end...

James in the Corsa was good (I'm with James, a fun car doesn't need to have a N?rburgring lap time).
The news was hilarious!
First part of the movie car chance segment wasn't bad. It had its moments.
SIARPC was alright.
Second part of the movie car chase was...well...rubbish.

7/10

P.S. I'm with Jeremy in that a car chase can be exciting using just good drivers pulling off mad maneuvers and camera angles. No need for explosions, aerobatics, or any of that nonsense.

With Hammond getting older and that haircut he now looks exactly like his mother when the three mums reviewed cars a few years back. It's scary.

The Sweeney segment was not the worst thing Top Gear has ever filmed, but it was the weakest segment of the episode. I can live with a little bit of scripted foolishness, but this just went on far too long. If Top Gear is catering these films to the 7 year-old types with short attention spans then why don't they just get to the explosions quickly? The people who are supposed to be watching have switched off halfway through the film and the sixteenth joke about Bob Hoskins.

May's film trying to show that regular, cheap cars can be lots of fun had good intentions and I applaud the effort, but the excitement doesn't quite come across on the film the same way a 4-wheel drift in a Koenigsegg does. And nobody is dropping the windows to hear the rumble of a two-cylinder Panda while driving through a tunnel. And I'm not a fan, at all, of the Panda's styling. But the message that you can have fun in cheap cars is a sentiment I'd like to see more of on Top Gear.

7/10 for me. I laughed and enjoyed various bits throughout the episode.

topgear.com is that way. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

If you think you need to have a deep understanding of British culture to be able to appreciate good British television, you shouldn't be on this forum.

Much has been said about this episode, and I agree with most of them.

Hammond's part in the film was total shite, but I don't think it's his fault, more like a script some idiot shoved down his throat.

Yes, he can't act to save his life, but then he wasn't employed to act, but to present.

The people who commented about Andy and Jeremy's video preview were spot on. Proper car bores wouldn't watch Top Gear, not even episodes from earlier in the show's history (series four to seven, I'm looking at you), because it's always been too informal and, frankly, had too much comedy to be considered a true car show. Even if they did, they would take their anorak off (mostly) and watch the show the same way everyone else watches it -- as an entertainment show focused on motoring. And nowadays, the entertainment value, especially on the comedic side, of the show really is a mixed bag.

When they set up a scene (or something actually happens out of their control) and just let the presenters have at it -- say, when Richard tore up the clutch on that Noble, the race across Rome for lunch or James and Jeremy driving that awful Chinese three-wheeler, the show is properly engrossing; funny when it needs to be, somewhat insightful and really rather engaging in its action. It's only when they actually try to make it funny and make the presenters do exaggerated caricatures of themselves where the show really fall short. This, not the anorak-y bits that they sometimes overlook -- though I wish they would explain more about the cars themselves and pay more attention to detail sometimes -- is the main problem for most of us watching. We don't want to watch yet another episode of Hammond/Clarkson/May (especially Hammond) botching something the other presenter(s) has worked on that would've otherwise be decent, because a) they've never been good at this and they're certainly not getting any better, and b) everyone can see it coming from the moment they read/watch the preview. Not even eight-year-olds, who are the main scapegoats of the producers, would approve of this rubbish. I remember, as a 14-year-old kid, being so enthralled by the SLK vs. Boxster vs. Irish Guards snipers film (my first brush with Top Gear) when I first watched it, I became hooked on the show ever since. I don't think I would've been such a big fan if they played the Sweeney car chase film back then.

That said, though, the film wasn't so bad, considering the sort of crap they threw at us before. And goodness me, that chase scene they showed at the end, is in my humble opinion one of the best car chases I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if the TG crew did have a hand in the making of the film, because it actually did look like something out of the show and they have everyday experience with some serious car chase camera equipment. And have you seen the last few episodes of Top Gear? The visual quality of the show these days has blown a big hole through the Burj Khalifa's roof -- it's absolutely astonishing and honestly pretty much Hollywood blockbuster ready as it is.

6/10

James's review and the news were good. SIARPC and first half of the movie chase scene were OK. Last half of the the movie chase scene was rubbish.

I am from the UK and I didn't find the cocking around funny either.

I don't think anyone can claim they mailed it in, it was obvious that a lot of work went into The Sweeney segment. But for all the work that went into it, the entertainment value was severely lacking. Perhaps if each of we viewers had been versed in how motion pictures are made, we could have appreciated it all the more. No, strike that. It just wasn't funny.

I'm afraid that in the TG universe, the words "Sweeney segment" are about to become a synonym for failure.

I have to admit I wish they'd do two short films per segment, as opposed to one long one. At least that way we'd have two shots at a good film, not just one. All the best to James and the SIARPC, though. Along with the news, they indeed held up their part of the show.

Last edited:
@Mil I'd never thought I'd be quoting Sarkozy, but you've missed a great opportunity to shut up.

You know, all the wave of hatred towards Richard's growing childish swing of behaviour (Which I officially joined after this episode) got me wondering, where is the Richard I know and love?

Well I may have found an answer. AMV8 vs M6 vs 911 (07x01) ... Such a nice film, James and Jeremy of course being their usual and brilliant selves (With less or no acting, and 100% genuine feel) And Richard being as professional and excellent as ever.
I just watched that item again, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, the discussion at the end to decide the winner was very lengthy but I didn't get bored through it and loved it.

I know this is slightly off-topic but I just wanted to remind everyone of what Richard can be ;) He did make the show what it is alongside the other two after all.

Last edited:
Top Gear law states that you need at 1 presenter to be 'the other guy'. When they're discussing something, 1 always disagrees, or 1 has to cockabout, 1 has to throw jam 'hilariously' at the others. They can never be a time were all three are serious, they for whatever reason have to do a yin-yang of bullshit.

It's true that the Dutch legalized soft drugs because British comedy just didn't do anything for us.

are we remembering that tguk's main goal is to "entertain"?? in the old tg they were more focused to petrolheads, but now the are focused to get as much viewers as possible. We are much less than 1% of all the viewers worldwide, but sometimes we think we are the only viewers that really matter to Andy and the guys. Granted, they DO take our opinions ang usually look around in the forums to know what we think. But please, keep in mind that the program is made for a wide array of people, ranging from Japan to Australia, and they just can't do every show completely for petrolheads. I am not saying you can't give your opinion here, I'm just saying that before you storm the forums with enraged comments, think about the main goal of tguk: ENTERTAIN PEOPLE.

But you can make a good entertainment involving cars! Such as epic road trips or collective shootouts, and they didn't crash or explode even one car.

are we remembering that tguk's main goal is to "entertain"?? in the old tg they were more focused to petrolheads, but now the are focused to get as much viewers as possible. We are much less than 1% of all the viewers worldwide, but sometimes we think we are the only viewers that really matter to Andy and the guys. Granted, they DO take our opinions ang usually look around in the forums to know what we think. But please, keep in mind that the program is made for a wide array of people, ranging from Japan to Australia, and they just can't do every show completely for petrolheads. I am not saying you can't give your opinion here, I'm just saying that before you storm the forums with enraged comments, think about the main goal of tguk: ENTERTAIN PEOPLE.

We're people, and from the comments here, they aren't entertaining us. QED.

I am not saying you can't give your opinion here, I'm just saying that before you storm the forums with enraged comments, think about the main goal of tguk: ENTERTAIN PEOPLE.

With tons of lame, overused gags in the script? I don't think so.

Don't you see from all the comments on this thread? It's the very entertainment value of that last film that's the problem here. Yes, maybe we petrolheads could care less about the XFR and the ST lookalike used in the chase, but that's beside the point -- they could've used a Veyron Super Grand Sport (or whatever the latest special edition is called) and an Aventador and we'd still be here, up in arms about a potentially great film completely ruined by the somebody's (oh, I dunno, the producers'?) desire to make Jeremy and Richard play idiots. Conversely, if they had played it straight and let the action and the chemistry carry itself (as they've done so many times before), we'd have loved the entire film even if they used a couple of Daewoo Matizes.

This petrolhead argument is getting pretty damn stale at the moment. So if we like cars, we automatically have different perceptions of entertainment and humour from everyone else? If I can name every car that passes by when I'm driving, am I not entitled to have a social life outside a car club? Looking at it this way, it seems rather offensive, don't you think?

Finished watching the show half an hour ago. For those interested, I browsed on my phone for the last ten minutes. It wasn't good at all.

James' review was quite good. Not the best he's made, but enjoyable to watch. I can see his point about the Panda, I drove one last week and compared to your average Aygo or Suzuki its an enjoyable car. Still, 84hp and 2 cilinders is just not enough.

News was very funny, I especially liked the shock and horror on Jeremy's face when confronted with the convertible SUV facts. Only thing that annoyed me a bit was Hammond after a joke of one of the others breaking in as soon as possible to rehash that joke in hope of getting a laugh too. I know he's often doing that, but it was a bit obvious this time.

What's going on with Hammond (and his hair, for that matter) anyway? Why does he think its funny if he mumbles uncontrollably when meeting other people? Every time he does something stupid and unfunny, he has that stupid and unfunny face and voice, as if he himself knows it's rubbish but don't know how to change it. In the car chase segment he dragged Jeremy along. When Jeremy is accusing someone of being over the top and unrealistic, you know something's from. I like to think Jeremy actually took it seriously, but thought it wasn't worth it after he saw the massive Hammond fail.

Also, the Twitter guy mentioned in this topic is apparently the script editor. I take it he would've liked more scripting and stupid jokes and apologized for the bad product. I don't even want to think about a segment like that with more stupid jokes. Might the argument he mentions actually be Jeremy wanting the whole thing to be more seriously, especially in light of his somewhat clumsy apology in the preview?