[18x04] February 19th, 2012

[18x04] February 19th, 2012

• Total voters
but smoking in the car is banned, isn't it?

Banned in the car? Ha, I would love to see them try to enforce that.

I enjoyed this episode.
About SIARPC: I passed. Until they decide to put a goodlooking girl, or a really car entusiast, I didn't see this part of the program.
Good the oportunity given to those who have mobility restrictions. I found this very interesting, the comparision between of the shelf products and the TopGear enhancements.
As in the last serie, the rallying with the all-terrain team from the army, was a great oportunity and a very good section of the episode at that time. That was a way of showing the oportunities and driving products available for these persons, that deserve all our help and attention. I liked so far.

Top gear is turning into shit. The last two episodes where the worst episodes of i have ever seen. It seems to me that they are experimenting with new types of content, either way it sucks. They should bring back the continental races and traditional coverage of super cars and car related stuff, not wheelchairs for disabled. They should kick out James from reviewing any cars.

Nope, not the only woman who had no idea who Michael Fassbender is. Seems likeable enough, but I liked my fellow Canuck on last week's show better. ;) (even if I really wasn't sure who he was either...) And the news segments this series have been some of my favourites.

Oh yes, I had vaguely heard of him but Ryan Reynolds be still my beating heart! Guh and Nghhhh and all those sounds.

For some reason, I thought Michael Fassbender was a tennis player.

I liked the May's segment as usual, so rare to have cars made in Finland ;D Using generators for electricity is used in ships. Allows the engine to keep optimal speed. Still refiment is needed...

I think they could have gotten one more segment in, cutting from FF and scooters a bit, both felt too long.

And is it's TG's fault if some idiots don't but proper tires on car? I belive they knew location...

Pretty good episode. I like the Fisker. I am a Fassbender fan, so I enjoyed TSINRPC. I also liked their final bombshell conclusion.

But the best part of all was them dissing, quite unanimously, on the new Porsche 911.

Porsche fucked up. A 911 is not a 911 without its steering.

TG in near-top form. James' film was one of the best of ANY series. Informative, interesting, and a nice twist with Brian Johnston. Proper stuff.

The news. Genuinely funny, and genuinely interesting (especially the feedback on the 991 series 911).

Jeremy's film was also excellent. Not as dynamic or thorough as James', but he still managed to be informative a la Series 1-5, and it was genuinely entertaining.

SIARPC. Michael Fassbender. I thought I was getting sick of Hollywood stars, but if they continue to be like LeBlanc, Reynolds, and this gentleman, who were all interesting, engaging, funny.... then I have to keep my mouth shut. I did enjoy that his looks and speech betrayed his mixed-European heritage, though. I miss Euro guests.

The last film: some very good points. Trying to do something genuine. But still... the cocking about clearly made it through the final edits.... but at least it wasn't overwhelming, and I do like the fact that this was done in the style of older TG (that it was a short 18 minute film, not an entire episode.

Honestly.... I loved Series 17 as a whole. Series 18 thus far is even better. I know we all focus on the horribles (India Special, Hammond's fake "dumb" routine, Series 16, etc etc), but the good really does continue to outweigh the bad. Bravo, lads.

I only know of Michael Fassbender because I watched X-men: First class with my wife, and she told me she likes him. The movie was actually much better than I expected with some very good cinematography and excellent music! The 60s setting is fantastic. Anyway, I digress, I enjoyed watching the SIARPC as he is a star and that's the point of that segment to see stars and see if they have any car love in them. Some do and some don't, no biggie. Plus this makes TG a one stop shop to get some new movie news too! That fact that they now have hollywood stars coming in is a big thing for them, as they seem to have failed to get many in the earlier years.

As for the rest of the show, The Bentley and FF segment while interesting didn't get to the meat and bones I was looking for, namely a dry and wet road test. As I want to know how that new 4X4 system works on a dry road since they seem to show it to be rubbish in the snow?

James is review was good as it highlighted how much fun can be had in lower powered cars, as you get to keep the pedal down much more and play with them...and their skinnier tires.

The scooter part was interesting enough and they did point out a valid issue on the cost of those electric scooters. I never knew they were so expensive! Overall, it was enjoyable.

Last edited:
Really interesting episode for me as they filmed the FF/Continental feature the week before I was up there with work (and the week before it hit -40deg C!). All the locals said the FF sounded incredible, even driving round town. The main reason for them being up there was because Ferrari were filming their own PR stuff that week, hence I suspect TG were pulling a favour to get in earlier than the magazines!

Ferrari make a big song and dance about the car being capable in the snow, but in all honesty, the only reason it works up there is because it's on winters/studs. A 458 on studs would be useable as well...in fact any car on studs or even 'just' winters works as well. Very few locals have anything more than a Passat, Merc, Toyota or Volvo. The only place it won't get you is a logging track where it's all about ground clearance.

If anyone's got the cash an inclination, the track they used is the Laponie Ice Driving school. It's anything from 3,000 to 7,000 Euros to go for up to 4 days. Link here.

Wheelchair thing was hilarious. I'm sure a great deal was set up, but for once it did feel a bit more like 'old' new Top Gear where it was a bit more spontaneous. Fassebender was also very good.....very odd mixture of German and Irish in his accent I thought! Someone asked about the finger thing.....try watching Inglorious Basterds. I thought it was made up until a barmaid in Eindhoven couldn't understand I meant 3 beers when holding up 3 fingers....once she worked it out she went 'oh 3!', holding up 2 fingers and her thumb!

Last edited:
Really good Episode 8/10. James turning a pretentious electric into a great time with Brian Johnson and an old 1924 Bentley was hilarious. Car reviews were quite informative though the FF is a hideous car. I have such a gay crush on Fassbender so I liked the SIARPC and he was entertaining. Off-road Mobility scooters was hilarious in town though why the hell are they so expensive (5k? I feel even worse for disabled people). Best part though were the two hot blondes behind James and Richard. mmmmmm.

The Fisker sure is beautiful to look at. I'd rip the electrics out and drop in a proper V8 drivetrain.

The FF vs Conti V8 segment has some of TG's finest cinematography in years. I really like both cars. I'm looking forward to driving some of the upcoming Audi's that'll be sporting that 4 liter TT V8 under the hood.

Fassbender was terrific in Inglorious Basterds and X-Men: First Class. Another solid SIARPC this year.

The race was pretty damn funny. Gotta love the ridiculous contraptions they come up with.

9/10 from me.

Actually said quite loudly, "WHAT?!!" when Fassbender's lap time was revealed. There's NO way... (Honestly don't mean to resurface the whole fudged lap time controversy thing...)

Other than that, solid. Brian Johnson = YES. FF + Continental segment = DOUBLE YES.

Can anyone explain the theory about why people who ride bikes are generally faster drivers than those who don't?

Can anyone explain the theory about why people who ride bikes are generally faster drivers than those who don't?
Remove your car?s bonnet, sit on the engine & ask a friend to drive you around for a few hours.
Now get inside & drive normally.

Pretty good episode, 9/10 I'd say, like last week. I loved the fact that they appear to have noticed that the India Special was probably not their best episode... a little self irony can never hurt.

In which part occured the india special irony? I haven't notice it (maybe cause I was watching at 3 a.m. as soon as it "appeared" in my computer.