[18x05] February 26th, 2012

[18x05] February 26th, 2012

• Total voters
A very solid 8 for a very solid, "classic" Top Gear episode. A bit of cocking about, some half-and-half news (good lord, that female audience member was distracting, you know which one), a good review (but who on earth buys a racecar for the school run?) and a very heartwarming piece on SAAB's demise. I loved those early SAABs, if only for the unusual profile they had compared to everyone - especially the SAAB 90!

I am now obsessed with this person:

W0V4D.jpg

I dare you to find a prettier girl than the one sitting left of may during the news .......................... IN THE WORLD

How bout the girl right of Hammond?

Really really strong Episode ( I really liked the whole Season so far). Gave an 8 because i was never realy laughing out loud but the Saab bit was superb. This Season just rocks.

bloody brilliant episode! it had everything that needed to be there in order for me to be satisfied with top gear.
i've been lurking this forum for years now but have wanted to join forever. so i finally did. i didnt like hammonds laugh or scream during the rallyrace but apart from that, this episode blew my mind.
the entire 18th season has been brilliant. wonderful. couldn't be happier!

Loved it enough to give it a 9. Not very happy with the guest and news bit... but other than that everything was tip top.

Particular highlight for me was calling the Maserati's cornering as tidy as a marine's bunk. I like Jezza's overdone wording but sometimes it's nice to see him be sensible.

Even if it's about a track day Maserati :)

Good episode. I nearly died when James drove around in that sleeping bag with his hands shuffling the wheel, epic. :D That Saab part was a bit dull, but then Saab itself are a bit dull I guess. The 95 is a looker though! Also, I found the Maserati/Merc review a wee bit pointless, since both seem to suck a bit. Adding, say, a GT3RS would?ve spiced things up. Although brightly coloured cars going sideways in a cloud of smoke with 'the Clarkson' going 'Powerrrr!' are always fun and thus it?s all good. And I do love the Maserati for how it looks and sounds (let?s just leave that in race mode, shall we?;))

9/10, A-, 90%

This episode was great, loved the piece on Saab. This episode seems like it should be appealing to the folks here at Final Gear and judging by the current rating, it is. There was something I wanted to nitpick about, but I'll come back later for that... if I remember what it was.

this was a jolly good episode i must say.

nothing exceptional happened,though it was good.:)

gave it an 8.

I didn't care for the Skoda bit, news was a bit meh. The Merc/Maser bit was bland, if you're going to talk about every day use TAKE IT ON THE ROAD AND SHOW US! (I'm kinda pretty tired with just track tests, especially with cars like this they should go "I'm sure it works on the track, lets try a bit of real life instead"). SIARPC annoyed me to bits, the Saab thing was quite good though.

Overall gave it a 7, Saab saved it it from a 6-

Reactions: TC
Got to skip nine and a half minutes at the beginning, which was good. SIARPC was badly edited and almost as short as BSSC on TGUSA; Matt, was there really that much unusable material? Saab film was as good as expected. Jezza's AMG fanboying was as bad as expected. Another just-above-average 6 or so, raised to a 7 because they destroyed a BMW.

7.5/10. Not a classic, but not a bad episode either.

The Skoda vs. man-with-a-kitchen-table-strapped-to-his-back thing was OK, perhaps lacking a bit of pantomime of previous Car-vs-something-else races.

Maserati and Mercedes? What could be more classic Top Gear than exhaust notes that nearly induce a crisis? :D

I couldn't be bothered to watch the SIARPC segment. Yes, I know what Dr. Who is and I found both Eccleston and Tenant to be enjoyable guests, but this guy just looks like such a hipster douche.

I definitely enjoyed the Saab piece. The two J's always seem to be able to come up with something informative and enjoyable with the historical bits. I certainly liked the way they stuffed it to GM ("2/3rds of this car is crap, we need to redo it" :lol:)

7/10.

Jet pack race was well filmed and fun to watch, but the "james or hammo go for a ride in a rally car" thing needs to have a fork put in it. The races are much more enjoyable when they drive themselves. If they're not fast enough to drive a given segment, what's wrong with the Stig? Unless of course Gardemeister is the new Stig. :?

News was quite a lot better than usual. Some genuinely funny moments.

Maserati/Merc thing was tired. At least Clarkson admitted they're both more or less crap, though I did find it amusing that racing harnesses in a Maserati are worth complaining about, but in a Ferrari, not so much.

SIARPC, average, but watchable, save for his hair. If you need to rearrange it 87 times a minute, cut it.

Saab segment. Well, I'd rather have gangrene than a saab, so this kept it from being an 8.

The Skoda rally wasn't my cup of tea and the MC Hammer and AMG Crab should have been taken on the road. On that basis I give this one an 8/10. The Saab film was excellent.

The Saab ending was actually very nicely done. I'm saddened by the whole affair, especially having been in in Sweden during part of the bankruptcy and aksing some people that I met. They were very sad to see their nation's company go, as was I. 9/10 all in.

This feels like a proper episode of Top Gear. Not perfect but hits a lot of the right buttons. 8/10

I'll give it a solid 9.

It wasn't a groundbreaking episode, but it was exactly solid, and exactly what I like to see.

The Saab piece was handled extremely well, and I even liked the rally bit at the beginning (which I hadn't seen). News was good, Merc vs Masser was good, and I feel that warm 'buzz' that comes from watching a good episode.

Well done again!

"If it saves 100 litres of fuel a year, who cares if it looks like a frog?"

Should have been included in the Saab segment. Nice tribute though.

7 from me. Could have been 8 if not for the recycled rocket-dude film; what a waste of time. I wish the news bits were a bit more; in the old days they used to be my favorite part, now they kinda flash thru unnoticed. Overall though not a bad episode. I loved the SAAB segment and the girl behind the Dr.