[18x06] March 4th, 2012

[18x06] March 4th, 2012

• Total voters
really good episode - 9
will need to listen, only listen, to the news again, too many distractions in the audience this time.
"Stig looking very terrified" :p

Anybody care to explain what the OFCOM bit is referring to, for us Yanks?

Overall a classic Top Gear episode. Brutus? Got to have it!

Great episode!

The first part of the track-day cars was entertaining. A nice mixture of mucking about and serious...ish car review.

News segment was hilarious! I was laughing through most of it.

Brutus and Bentley...
:shock:
The noise! The fire! The brutality of those beasts! It was fantastic!
The cars looked somewhat ridiculous going around the track, but I really couldn't care less about that.

SIARPC; again not my favorite segment, but this week's was enjoyable.

Part 2 of the track-day cars...
Predictably, purpose-built track-day cars are lousy everyday cars, especially when the weather is everything other than nice. Still, it was a funny segment and I was a little disappointed at how short it was.

9/10

Overall a classic Top Gear episode. Brutus? Got to have it!
OFCOM is the government watchdog for communications. OK to rip up the boys for some jokes but do not stop Murdoch for actual dodgy dealings - typical.

"Ofcom (officially the Office of Communications; Welsh: Y Swyddfa Gyfathrebiadau) is the government-approvedregulatory authority for the broadcasting, telecommunications and postal industries of the United Kingdom. Ofcom was initially established by the Office of Communications Act 2002 and received its full authority from the Communications Act 2003.[SUP][1][/SUP]Ofcom has wide-ranging powers across the television, radio, internet, telecoms and postal sectors. It has a statutory duty to represent the interests of citizens and consumers by promoting competition and protecting the public from what might be considered harmful or offensive material. Some of the main areas Ofcom presides over are licensing, research, codes and policies, complaints, competition and protecting the radio spectrum from abuse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom

OFCOM is an independent organisation which arbitrates on complaints/disputes etc in broadcast media. They can fine broadcasters who are in breach of codes of practice etc. All those complaints against Top Gear and, especially, Jeremy have been referred to OFCOM for their adjudication. All have been found not to be breaching any codes. In other words, it's business as usual.

Probably the hidden biker within me but I would still absolutely kill to have the KTM X-Bow even though it's slow, hopelessly impractical and daft to get going.

Ep's an 8/10. SIARPC was boring which dragged it down to the 8.

A very strong episode. Missed something very special for the last point, but definantly worth a 9.

IMO the Caterham was the best car for a track-day type thing. The Morgan seems more like the type of car you'd buy to cruise around on country-lanes in the late summer sunshine, and the X-Bow just looks wrong. Note to KTM: Only Lamborghini are insane enough to be permitted to do weirdly angled bodyshells. It's off limits to the rest of the world.

The news had some cars in it! Next weeks race sounds interesting - and oddly enough, I can easily see May as a race steward-type persona. 517 pages of rulebook and he'd know it all by heart.

The Brutus and the Bentley :blink: I wonder if they removed the timings afterward, because how the hell can the Brutus be road legal?

Skipped SIARPC as usual.

Jeremy, in November, talked about shooting striking workers in front of their families.

Last week, OFCOM decided that this was an acceptable thing to say, bearing in mind Clarkson's usual bombast, exaggeration and lightheartedness.

Thus, he decided you are allowed to say you want to shoot people in front of their families.

Laughed and giggled throughout - very enjoyable. Like others easily bored with SIARPCs, I was about to skip ahead then ended up watching it. Nicely filmed, especially the B vs B - great watching and listening to the exhausts on the Brutus! Gave it 9/10 - must encourage them to keep trying ;)

No one on the show, or even here so far, has mentioned the original 3 wheel Morgan's moment in the sun way back in the '60s. With Peter Sellers at the wheel in The Party :)

Last edited:
Solid 9/10. Only thing that dragged was SIARPC, but that's nothing new.

8 from me but only because I don't fancy the choice of cars too much. Guess it's a matter of taste. Job well done, though. This way Top Gear still has many years ahead of looking forward to it.

But I'm yearning for something epic now. Please give us something epic.

This season, to me, is the best in a very long while. I never lost concentration for a moment and yes, I even enjoyed the SIARPC, which normally sends me to top up the wine glass. The mojo is back in place.

Reactions: TC
The intro about the track day cars was a copy pasta from another episode I swear at first I thought I opened the wrong file

Yet another solid episode, 9/10. Even the SIARPC segment was pretty good, although I really have no idea who he is. Actually, this series has had (in my opinion at least) a pretty good assortment of SIARPC segments. Well, if I ignore Will.he.bore.me.to.tears in the first episode. I've actually not felt the desire to fast forward through the segment as much as usual.

Many good laughs throughout the episode and I laughed out loud when they went to the second part of the Track Day segment...when Richard was talking, obscured by the Audi. :lol:

9/10, 95%, A

Another excellent show. The content was excellent, the news was good, the SIARPC segment was good and the humor was good. This series is shaping up to be very well rounded, thank you Top Gear.

Reactions: TC
So many things i could say that were right in this one , awesome cars , great jokes especially about the Audi advertising :D , very solid guest and a pretty well rounded episode.
this is turning out to be a great season

I gave it an 8/10, but now I'm regretting it. I should have given it a 9/10. Usually I don't rate episodes a 10/10 unless they're epic and without fault. This episode wasn't exactly epic and I did find myself bored with the SIARPC, but this was still a very excellent episode.

The track-day cars challenge was fantastic. For one, they fixed something that I have been bitching about for years, they actually left the Dunsfold track! I'm sorry, but seeing the same gray runway every single episode is more than a bit boring. So I loved the fact that they went to a proper track and I especially love the fact that they took the cars out into the real world. Some people may be sarcastic and complain about them stating the obvious about the cars not being good in the rain, but at least they took them into the real world! Where it rains! I loved that bit. And all the challenges and races at the track were great too. Great film, top notch. I wish they would do more group comparison tests with new cars in this fashion.

The news was great too. The banter seemed genuine and the story of James cheating at a board game was hilarious. I wish they would have talked a bit more about that new 700+hp Ferrari though. I still can't decide if it's a fantastic looking thing or fugly as hell. But anyway.

The Brutus/Bentley-Spitfire film was awesome as well. I've seen the Brutus before, but that Bentley was a thing of beauty. I would definitely chose that over that gorgeous Jag E-Type, simply for the insanity factor of it.

Definitely a great episode and I sure hope they end the series on a high note next week, because like others, I think this series has been the best all-rounder in years. :thumbsup: