[18x07] March 11th, 2012

[18x07] March 11th, 2012

• Total voters
A fantastic end to a fantastic season. Great work guys.

Reactions: TC
absolute 10!
one of the great episodes it was.

I want to buy a cheap car now, and turn it to cheap race-car

Even with Kimi being his usual self, easily the best of the series. 10.

I am going with a 10/10 simply because it left me with a smile on my face.

I sort of liked Kimi. This is the only time I have ever seen him, but I thought he was a laid back kind of guy.

Now Slash on the other hand, is the stuff my nightmare are made of. Always has been.

I liked James's piece but, to be honest, I think I would have enjoyed a lot more of Chris and him just discussing his collection. As for the all white. I like that because I have only ever bought one car that wasn't white, because I like white cars.

I am looking forward to next season. 7 shows just weren't enough.

After the India special, I was so worried about this series. And I am SO happy to be able to say that my worries were unfounded...one of the strongest series ever. I have already rewatched most of the eps (yes, I've skipped a lot of the Sweeney film) a few times, and I don't see that changing with this episode. Didn't even mind Kimi and Slash. It is such a shame that it's the end of the series.

I guess they really wanted to leave us wanting more. ;)

Waffling between 9 & 10...going with a 9, I think. If I was watching the episode and pressed for time, I could skip Kimi & Slash's segments...so, yeah, 9. Which is also what I would give the entire series.

Best of the run, and as the best score I've given this run is a 7, that means this gets an 8.

M5, awesome car, nicely filmed, but lacking a little somehow.
Kimi, uncharismatic and drab, but not as much as usual. Shame his lap was wet.
News, OK.
Ferrari, nice film, beautiful car.
Slash, got interrupted so need to re-watch, seemed OK. Another wet lap shame.
Rallycross, 3 petrolheads genuinely enjoying car fun.

Someone will have to point out where MWF and the Dr. was because I was distracted by the awesome of this series finale. Actually, the series as a whole was excellent, sweeney film being the notable exception. If/when andy reads this, great job.

08e01509-5c5b-4eed-bdb9-a6ddae6a2e24.jpg

M5 - Too short and not enough substance I feel, not enough density I guess is the correct word.
News - Very nice
Kimi - Started watching initial bits, was bored to death, skipped past to the time.
California - One word: Epic. One of James's best reviews ever.
Slash - Kinda skipped this one as well, but I will go back and rewatch it.
The Race - E-P-I-C.
The ending - E-P-I-C

The epic-osity outbalanced the crap, and I'm feeling good that I skipped through those parts. 9/10 for me.

The rallycross segment turned out much better than expected. A season or two ago this would have been horribly acted and scripted, but now it all felt genuine, and so much better for it. And Kimi and Slash, two of the best guests they've had, in one episode.

Great season overall. TG is back on track.

Easily a 9/10 from me. This series has been a real return to form for the boys. It feels a bit like a car show again.

The new M5, I thought the segment was alright. It wasn't fantastic, by any stretch, and they never left the track, which always annoys me. But they got the basics in. Hopefully the new M5 makes at least one more return in the very near future, so we can see how good it really is.

Loved the news. Kimi was a bit boring, but I don't hold it against him, that's just the way he is.

The California film was very good, although I didn't enjoy it as much as others here did. Someone mentioned James's Phantom review, which was an absolutely fantastic piece of film. This California film was great, in that seeing James drive a car he's wanted since he was a child was nice to see.

Slash was pretty good. I always enjoy interviews when they can discuss cars a bit, rather than movies or politics.

And finally the rally cross racing. Like others have said already, this is what TopGear should be is all about. The 3 blokes out having a genuinely fun time and having a laugh. I would really like to see more of these types of segments.

Last edited:
Very good ending to a very good series (overall). :D

I'm not surprised that it seemed a bit rushed, there was so much crammed into the recording. I was impressed at the way the two interviews were edited - Kimi's actually made him seem interesting, and the Slash interview left out a vast amount of interesting stuff yet still remained interesting in itself.

It was great to see so many FGers, whether many of us actually appeared on camera (I was actually there on the final segment, though tucked away to the side of Clarkson's rally-cross car), and the whole episode to me concluded one of the best seasons in a very long time.

Oh, and this really made me guffaw

And he-he doesn't count since she is now, officially, part of the set.

M5 Review - 8/10
News - Can't rate, because there wasn't much of a news segment.
Kimi - 10/10 (never thought this day would come, where my favorite driver would be on my favorite show).
James' California Review - 9/10
Slash - 6/10 I wouldn't have known who he was before today; probably won't know tomorrow.
Rallycross - 9/10

Overall - 10/10*

*I should give this a 9/10 based on my grading critiques, but I low-balled a couple other episodes from this series, so this is sort of a make-up rating (plus, Kimi was in it ;) ).

Overall season rating - 8.5/10

Awesome episode for all the reasons already mentioned here... plus the epic blonde behind Hammond's left shoulder during the news.

9/10, the only problem was Kimi for me, although it's been a while since we've seen him on the telly, so it's kinda hard to get to get used to his laconic style.

But other than that, just pure petrolheaded fun.