[18x07] March 11th, 2012

[18x07] March 11th, 2012

• Total voters
It deserves a solid 10.
Great finale to a great season.
Hammond's segment wasn't bad, but nowhere near close to JC's reviews.
Kimi seems to be a cool guy to hang out with for a pint... or two :D
Looking at the beautiful California is such a treat, and seeing James fulfilling his childhood dreams only adds to it.
Slash was an interesting guest who certainly knows his cars, and gave us the best credits music I've ever heard in Top Gear.
The rallycross vs. golf challenge was exactly what I always wanted to see again after their 24h race - all three guys in some real racing action. You can't see me disappointed :D

18th season had its highs and lows, but overall it was a good season and a great entertainment to watch every weekend.
I hope that they will mark their 10th anniversary (20th October 2012) by giving us the brilliant 19th season ;)

"Go easy... avoid standing water..."
"I do that in my Fiat Panda"

Classic. Of all the TG presenters I would trust James the most to behave himself... ironically I saw him drive through no less than 3 significant puddles in the California. Oh, and if it had been my car, I would have loaned him some kind of semi-automatic firearm for when the kids all started chasing the car...

What a great episode! Nothing particularly standout as such, but just consistent quality all the way through.

M5 was pretty typical stuff, though I did like the panning-still camera shot of the Bimmer drifting around the corner.

News was hilarious, as usual.

Kimi was funny, albeit a hard interview. I think I got it because he's a lot like my mate's Finnish-born father... very low key, matter-of-fact, with the occasional sardonic comment that's piss-funny.

Slash was cool, again, kinda a quiet guy but with an incredible personal history (read his autobiography)... Jezza really only had time to scratch the surface. I agree though, he plays Jessica better than he drives. As for the tophat and sunglasses - he's a rocker!

The Rallycross racing was brilliant and honestly, TG at its best. No scripting, no fake explosions, just three petrol heads doing what they love. And yes, the racing was exciting. Whether or not golf actually costs that much to do can be debated (when I shamefully played golf I certainly didn't spend that kind of money) but I think we can all agree drifting around a dirt track is a far far better use of a grassed paddock that losing little white balls.

9/10.

M5 was pretty typical stuff, though I did like the panning-still camera shot of the Bimmer drifting around the corner.

Oh, yes, that was gorgeous.

This was one the best ep . :D
loved all the sections this time (usually would skip siarpc :p )

but didnt like the M5 part one bit.

M series cars are all about the M-MODE!!!. it just felt like some 1st drive/review of some ordinary car :\

this was the last gen M5 review, by JC-
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1430947/bmw_5_series_m5_review_in_top_gear/

in future, I hope JC drives the M5 vs other cars. only he can create thE awesomeness of a car with his words :p

excellent episode
combination of M5, 250 california, F1 driver, slash and epic race- nice ending

Ah, the Matrix 'Bullet Time' effect. It was great.

Probably filmed using a GoPro 'Bullet Time' array similar to the one used on Ken Block's Gymkhana 3 video. Having said that, the TG team don't generally use GPs from what I've seen. And it was also slightly odd that they used the footage twice, even though it was cool.

Here's the Ken Block array

--1.jpg

Last edited:
Two stars? Kimi was a hard, hard interview. Still, the rallycross segment was the best thing this season, I think.

Well, the only logical progression from Slash in terms of Badassness would be Lemmy, but surely his BAC would never be below the legal requirement for driving?

From what I hear, his substance of choice is Speed. Also, the Top Gear Track isn't strictly public roads, I guess the SIARPAC could be under some kind of influence... he might be out of practice. I'd be more worried about him doing the interview though, with that gravelly voice of his.

I do absolutely love the idea though.

From what I hear, his substance of choice is Speed. Also, the Top Gear Track isn't strictly public roads, I guess the SIARPAC could be under some kind of influence... he might be out of practice. I'd be more worried about him doing the interview though, with that gravelly voice of his.

I do absolutely love the idea though.

A bit OT but the most surreal bus stop conversation I've ever had...

When I was about 14, I was a bit of a rock chick and I was standing at a bus stop in a non-touristy part of Devon wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt and a pair of ridiculously skinny bleached jeans (hey, it was the 80s) when a perfectly normal little old lady struck up a conversation asking me if I liked 'the heavy metal'. I was a bit afraid that I was going to be lectured on the evils of rock music, but she told me that her nephew was in a band, and that I might have heard of them. She went on to claim her nephew was Lemmy :blink:

I've no idea if she was telling the truth, or if she was a bit confused or if she was an unlikely wind-up merchant, but like I said, surreal...

Well somebody has to be Lemmy's auntie!

A few years ago, I ran into a woman I used to travel to work with on the train. We'd known each other quite well in the eighties, and had lost touch when she left work to have a baby. How's the baby? I asked. Oh, fine, she said. He's a member of The Prodigy.

That was the moment when I realised I was officially old.

That would explain the apparent length of James' hair in the segment, wouldn't it?

What a finale! I thoroughly loved this one! I just love watching these 3 race, I don't know why but it's just damn fun!

Just enjoyed the hell out of it. definitely a 10 :)

The write-up is excellent. :)

Nice to see a positive article about TG for once.

I'm pleased they were pleased.

Pshaw. That wasn't a real article about Top Gear - not once did they mention Richard's accident or whoever Jeremy's insulted this week. :p

Heh, seriously, it was a good article and it was a great segment for the show. Nice to see the 'behind the scenes' side, wonder if any outtakes will come to light.