1929 Willys Whippet (Mid mount turbo)

Nice man cave! I is jealous.

no workplace is complete without a snooker pool table!
i've never seen a workshop with a snooker table :lol:

Finally got back to work on the car. Started by writing up the first of the "to do" lists for it. First job off the list was to finish bolting down the front fenders, I used 8 1/4" Rivnuts and it really stiffened things up. Next was to fab up the exhaust support near the body exit, I used a rubber mount I found that gives it just enough flexibility but doesn't let it hit the edges of the body opening. It ties to the exhaust with a 1/8" plate I will pretty up with some speed holes and the rubber mount will be bolted to the body frame around the trunk opening. Also wanted to get some opinions on something cool I can do with the old Willys suspension spring deal. It is a cool piece and I am hoping to get it incorporated somewhere.

Had some fun today while the rain scared me off the mower. I finished the rivnuts for the exhaust mount and it works great, just the right amount of flexibility on it. I massaged the fenders and raised the rear end ride height by 1.5" to start and it has a slight back to front rake and the wheels fit the fenders a bunch better (just a little work left). Mounted the front turn signals to the side of the rad shell and I don't think they are overly noticeable because they are so small but they will keep the inspector happy. Also added the second U bolt around the steering column and it is rock solid for movement but no matter how hard I tighten the U bolts it still will rotate in the bolts.... thoughts? Also wanted to get some opinions on which switches to use and where to mount them for the accessories, it is for the fan, fuel pump, air/water pump, air/water rad fan. I am either using the small switches I currently have hooked up or the black panel that has the built in breakers on them which will probably be handy. For the location I was thinking of tucked under the lip of the dash, it steps back about 3-4" from the front face to where the gauges mount and I thought it would be a good spot to mount either switch option. Thoughts?

Also added the second U bolt around the steering column and it is rock solid for movement but no matter how hard I tighten the U bolts it still will rotate in the bolts.... thoughts?

I'm thinking the U-bolts just don't have enough surface area to clamp it enough. What if you took a piece of flat stock and formed it to fit inside the U-bolt, then lined it with some thin rubber. Might even build a cradle for the top of the column doing something similar. :dunno:

What about some spot welds U-bolts <-> column?

That spring thing ("Knight Rebout something.."?) strikes me as a great shape for a rear view mirror. "Sadly" due to the arm more like passenger side right not, but that might be adaptable.

You need something like this.

Appreciate the comments. The column is steel so it should be easy to weld to it. The mount under the dash has a 3/4" shim on it so I will gusset it and weld it to the column so the flat shim rests against the flat support HSS. GRtak, I know there are off the shelf pieces like that but they are just so damn expensive and usually billet aluminum.

Make your own version.

I started with a few of the easier things on my list. I plumbed all the fuel lines with -6 AN lines and added a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. Next up was plumbing the oil lines to the turbo which required making a new flange for the feed which I added a -6 fitting to, then plumbing out of the block feed hole to a -6 line to connect them. The return comes out the bottom (new flange again) and I modified the stock return tube to get back to the block. A few small things like making the new flanges takes wayyyy longer than I thought it should have but I am pretty happy with the results. Welded in the O2 sensor bung into the exhaust. Lastly I mounted the new wastegate, I am debating whether or not to tie the dump back into the exhaust or just have it go down and out of the car, thoughts? Also started stragizing for the boost piping and have it mostly solved, just need some more piping to make it all work.

Last edited:
I knew a few guys who ran Subarus whose wastegate dumped straight to atmosphere... they sounded gnarly

I am thinking it would be hard to get the pipe routed into the exhaust decently due to the space restrictions (it would need to tie in above the flex joint). My neon just dumped it straight down through a pipe that just took it below body line level. I may do that here too.

and a wastegate that exits in the exhaust, acts as a muffler
better to leave it out :p

Worked on a few items today, I started by modifying the stock hard pipe coming up to the turbo, it took 3 cuts and some welding but I am happy with it. Next I made a flange and dump tube off the wastegate that dumps under the bottom of the frame facing back. Next was the air-water IC, I had to move it back about 3" to make the boost piping line up better. Then found a better spot to install the rad directly under the drivers seat, I think it should get enough air movement to keep it cool.

It is blowing down not sucking up so I don't think it will be too bad. Max it should ever see is around 120 degrees F.

It is blowing down not sucking up so I don't think it will be too bad. Max it should ever see is around 120 degrees F.

Reverse the polarity and you'll have a ground-effects F1 car!

If you prefer to hear turbo sounds more then it is good to connect wastegate pipe to the exhaust. But if you like it rough then screamer pipe is the way to go.

I have a screamer in Supra and the sounds from it are quite...well, if you have a car next to you and it has open windows they will for sure remember the voice in their ears when your wastegate opens :D

Got to say that this project is awesome :)

Last edited: