Ownership Verified: 1967 Ford Fairlane 500

By the way, why are all the wires white? Isn't that impractical?

Each wire has a label printed directly on the insulation, I believe. He mentioned that above - it's not uncommon in modern aircraft, where each wire has what it is printed on it then it's (sometimes) sheathed in something that in turn has a tag on it indicating what it plugs in to, or the harness can have a tag on it.

asb0416lectromec6.jpg

Harness16.gif

Edit: Yup, directly printed. Sounds like it was done to at least some aviation standards.

:dunno: Don't know. Don't care. The wiring is Fucked, and I am going to replace damn near everything from the firewall forward.

Luckilly, what do ya know, I seem to have made a career out of designing wiring harness' :mrgreen:

This is going to be fixed. Soon. To a standard far and above beyond just about any production automotive manufacturers standard of quality.
I design harnesses for a private jet, after all :mrgreen:

I also have access to miles and miles and miles of mil-spec wiring, as well as thousands of mil-spec connectors.

Oh, and a wire printing machine.

Dis gunna be good :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Yup, as Spectre said, the whole harness was built using aviation grade wire and tools.

I've worked on the routing and formboard design for nearly 60 separate aircraft harnesses, (though only 1 was as big as that one in Spectre's picture, most are relatively small at only a few hundred wires) as well as half a dozen different harness installations (drawings that show how to install a harness in an airframe)

My harness isn't quite up to spec, since I am using non-sealed splices and crimp terminals throughout. I also didn't have any waxed lacing cord to tie the harness bundles with (if I did, I assure you, it would look a hell of a lot better)
I also don't have any of the heat shrink labels as those are stupid expensive (for what you get) and supply at the company is in high demand.

But, despite not quite being up to spec, I think the harness will do quite OK.
I am concerned with the printed labels wiping off, so I will need to be careful with the various chemicals, but this is only the first version of the harness.

When the fuel injection comes, I'll probably be printing another harness up, and maybe that one will get the proper heat shrink printed ID labels

Anyways, thanks everyone, I'm glad that it at least looks like I knew what I was doing. To be honest, while I have designed many harnesses, and designed many installations, and even built a number of harnesses, I've never built a harness in-situ.

It turned out pretty good though.

As for the stress levels, it actually wasn't too bad. All that prep and planning, coming up with a wire list and wiring diagram paid off in the end, I was mostly worried about finishing in time, since I only had 2.5 days to complete the installation.

After all, its significantly easier to run a wire when the wire says right on it where it goes and what it does hehe.

It also helps that I went total war on the OEM harness and threw it all away. Starting from scratch was more work initially on the design side, but the fabrication was simple.

And let me tell you, when you have designed, and fabricated a harness with over 2 miles of wire, 500+ connectors and splices, and literally dozens of unique, one-off highly expensive and hard to get specialized proprietary connectors, something like what I did for the Fairlane feels like a pebble in the ocean lol.

Let me know when you make a wiring harness for a 69 Mustang. I'd be in the market. :nod:

Stupid question maybe but do you have a battery kill switch in the car?

Garland is known for having odd, more exotic foreign, or just plain uncommon cars from time to time. They've had a surprising number of Jaguars over the years, which is how I know the place. 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 - I wonder if NotLaw needs some parts?

I don't think the '64 Fairlane shares any major components with a '67 sadly.

I do need sunvisors, a front grille (complete) a rear quarter "500" badge, and I'd love to find a set of the original AC vents that would have come on an AC equipped car (I plan on adding a vintageair or similar eventually, but I'll need vents)

Jupix: No battery kill switch yet. I do want a cutoff switch to put under the hood, but I've not found one I actually like. Lately I've been considering something like a latching relay, like some RV's have.

So, this last Saturday was another roadtrip day for me.
775 miles all told. Starting at around a quarter after four AM, and going till sometime around five-thirty in the evening. A long damn day, but fun.

The planned route:

Just about to leave:

Not even sunrise yet, somewhere on US 89, between Kanab, Ut and Page, Az:

(the yellow here is not the sun, it's just a sign)

Sun is just starting to peak over the horizon as I approach Lake Powell (literally, lake Powell is right there, you can see a sliver of it in the first photo, and you can see the bridge and the dam in the second)

Lake Powell, and the Glen Canyon Dam:

Looking south from the bridge at the Dam:

And the sunrise:

Also, can I just say, Damn that Dam is big. It's a little unnerving to walk along that bridge and look down. The Colorado river is way the hell down there, and the pictures really don't do it justice...

One final shot at Glen Canyon, before moving on:

Somewhere on Az 98, looking out towards Navajo Mountain

And these are on Az 160, near Tsegi:

Finally, after turning north at Kayenta, I was in Monument Valley (again)

Of course, Forrest Gump Point was insanely crowded, so I didn't even want to stop, but I did manage to take my own version of the famous picture:

Once I passed Mexican Hat, I turned north on one of my favorite roads in the state, UT 262; Moki Dugway.

There's a road going up this, I promise:

See, it's just a little narrow... and steep... and dirt:

(Sidenote, much better to drive Moki Dugway this time of year, as compared to the last time I did it. It was sketchy as hell last time)

Now, After doing Moki Dugway, the pictures pretty much stop. It was starting to get damn hot, and I was getting tired of stopping. The roads were no less pretty though. UT 128, which runs out of Moab to the east, and parallels the Colorado river was particularly impressive. Seriously, it was amazing. Following the river, right down at the bottom of a large sandstone canyon for miles and miles.

The next set of pictures were taken at the old town of Cisco.

What's so special about Cisco? well, Cisco is where the final scene from Vanishing Point was filmed.

Needless to say, 40+ years of neglect have taken a toll :(

The town was bypassed by I-70 to the north, and virtually abandoned after that.

I also drove on what's called a "frontage road" for I-70, just west of Cisco. This frontage road is all that remains of the old highway in the area.

I think time was even harder on the highway then it was on Cisco. It's in appalling condition, very post-apocolyptic.

Made for some nice photos though:

After those photos, I made my way back to the smooth asphalt of I-70, and bombed my way home. It was 3:30 in the afternoon, and hot as hell for me, especially with no AC.

No more pictures were taken.

Normally, this is where I would start talking about things that failed before, during, or after this trip, but there's nothing to talk about.

Almost 5,500 miles since the replacement harness went in, and since the engine was last out to fix the RMS leak.
Nothings gone wrong though, so I'm happy :mrgreen:

if i had such surroundings, i probably would do more roadtrips as well

So, Looks like the Fairlane is going to be in Texas from Sept 25 through Oct 6

To prepare for the trip, I need to do...
Nothing actually :mrgreen:. It's got pretty new tires (which I just had re-balanced), and I just did an oil change last weekend, and everything is running good, so I think it'll be good to go.
I guess I could find some new speed-nuts, and screws so that I could reinstall the headlight bezels, I've been putting that off for a while.

Anyone know any good driving roads in the area around San Antonio that would be worth driving?

It would so happen that I do... https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29....0x86592c185876de2d:0xbe32023f9d403ec4!1m0!3e0

Easily the best twisty roads in Texas.

And if you want to get your M1A/M14 rifle (if you have one) worked on by the man who literally wrote the book on them, he retired to the area. PM me if you want me to put you two in contact - you can have lots of fun running around the Hill Country to deliver the rifle to him, etc., then go run around the area.

Edit: That reminds me, I need to get off my ass and process the time lapse video of one of my trips down there.

Last edited:
Well, last weekend I drove the 1,270 miles down to San Antonio in the Fairlane, with an overnight stop in Roswell.

Sunrise on US 89, about halfway between Kanab, UT and Page, AZ

Stopping to stretch my legs on AZ-264, east of Keams Canyon.

Looking north on I-40, east of Gallup, NM

Landscape started looking really different once I was east of Albuquerque. This is looking southeast as I drove down US285 in New Mexico, approaching my overnight stop in Roswell.

This was taken Sunday morning, as I drove east out of Roswell. This is also just about as clear as the weather got, the whole day.

And just over the Texas/New Mexico border.

That's the last pic I took as I drove deeper into Texas. Not long after that pic, I hit rain, and the rain, while spotty, persisted just about all the way to San Antonio.

you seem to find a lot of abandoned fairlanes :lol:

you seem to find a lot of abandoned Fairlanes :lol:

I know, right? and they are always rusty blue-green 4-doors. Damn things are everywhere.

I'm really really sad that I'm going to miss you in Texas.. I really really wanna experience that thing in person.. :D

Yup, it's a shame. I guess you'll just have to visit Southern Utah, and hit up the 5 national parks (in Utah alone) on your way.

'course, if you wanted to actually see all 5, you'd probably need at least a week, probably more, and depending on how you got to Utah, there's 3 national parks of interest in Colorado too, (Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Rocky Mountain) as well as Pikes Peak.

Unfortunately, this is a business trip for me, and the company is paying for my gas/lodging to and from San Antonio, as well as my hotel here in San Antonio. If I wanted to stay longer, I'd not only have to use up some vacation time (which I might have a hard time getting approved this late), but I'd have to do it entirely on my own dime, and I wouldn't be getting the company rates at the hotel either.

So, I'll be back in Utah by Monday the 9th.

So, no pics quite yet, and I didnt take that many anyways, but I am back in Utah now.

Grand total was just a hair under 5200 miles in 14 days. Car ran (mostly) flawlessly. Only running type issues were related to me trying to drive the car after I had accidentally turned off the fuel pump. Needless to say, I didn't get very far as Nabster can attest lol

I do have a new electrical issue in the steering column though, as occasionally the right turn signal will no longer flash. When this happens, the front right light will illuminate (no flashing) but the rear right will not. I have no brake light on that side as well when this happens. Turning the wheel from lock to lock will usually fix it though.

Clearly either a wire, or component within the steering column is no longer making good contact, and I'll have to disassemble the column to fix it.

Additionally, the brakes are softer now then they should be, I suspect one of the rear wheel cylinders in the rear drums, but I need to investigate to verify. If it does turn out to be a wheel cylinder, I will probably just replace them both, since the time is not quite right to be swapping to disks in the rear (unless I can find a rear disk setup that is cross compatible with the 8.8 axle that I'll likely be swapping to eventually. I suppose a 9 inch could be possible too)

Finally, the biggest problem... 39 miles from home. 39 miles from the end of a 5200 mile trip, the damn fan belt broke. The belt was only a few months old too, having been replaced the last time I did serious engine work in July.

The belt was irritating, but I carry a spare or 3, so it should have been a non-issue, but the stupid damn hinge bolt (that the alt rotates around) broke when I tried to loosen it. I didn't even put that much force into it. Being a steel bolt in an aluminum head, it was well coated with anti-seize, and not in long enough for bi-metallic corrosion to set in anyways. I suspect the failure was thermal related, as the engine had been running for 10 hours, almost without interruption. Different expansion rates between the steel and aluminum, plus force applied to bolt (maybe the bolt was weak anyways?) and snap goes the bolt.

Anyways, a bungee cord to support the upper mount for the alt (with the broken bolt left in for alignment) was enough to stabilize the alt and allow me to cinch down the lower fastener to tension the belt. Luckily the lower mount is on a 1/4" thick steel arm, so it actually holds the alt in place pretty well by itself.

I'll have to use an EZ-out to get the remnants of the bolt out.

Car needs an oil change now too, so lots to do this weekend.

Last edited:
So, when I did that oil change a few weeks ago, I found just a tiny amount of antifreeze in the oil again, probably less than a half-pint. Still, even that much coolant in the oil is too much, so I made the executive decision to take the car off the road for the winter.

I suspect the antifreeze is coming from the intake manifold, since nearly every time I've found water in the oil of this engine in the past, I've also found torn intake gaskets, and I suspect the cheap Summit racing intake manifold may be a factor, since I've been using the FelPro gaskets recommended by AFR for a while now. (and they are highly rated too)

As a solution, (and yes, this is a little bit overkill, but whatever) I will be replacing the intake manifold, with this: (A change in intake gasket will probably happen as well, perhaps to Ford Racing gaskets or something.)

Yes, it's time to start on the MPFI project.
That is an early 'Explorer' intake, which has been ported. I'm hoping that combined with a 70mm throttle body, it will feed sufficient air to my little 306. I would have preferred a non-egr later explorer manifold, or a GT40 manifold, but this is what was available, and cheap. the fact that it's ported was a plus for me too.
I'm aware that in that picture, the top manifold is on backwards as compared to how it would be done in a foxbody mustang, but I think that orientation is going to work better with my situation, and as far as I can tell, the top manifold is reversible (the pattern looks quite symmetrical at least)
I'll probably be making a custom badge plate as well, but more on that when I do it.

The real start of the project was the fuel tank though.
Now, my original tank has had a small leak around the vent tube for nearly as long as I've owned the car. I don't really loose much, if any, fuel through the leak, but in certain situations, the raw fuel smell can be quite strong.
The plan has always been to replace the tank when I went EFI, and so, a new fuel tank was obtained, and the weekend before halloween, I started cutting holes in it to allow for the install of the Tanks Inc PA4 fuel pump

Since even at it's shortest length, the pump requires 6" of tank depth, and my tank was slightly shorter than that (as well as not flat on top) I made a little riser which the pump would mount to.

I started by marking a rough location: (you can also see the cad-plated "tray" sitting on top of the tank. It mounts to the pump bracket, and serves as a baffle, to ensure the pump is not run dry when driving)

before bending up some sheet metal:

and making a basic box:

welding up all the seams in the box:

roughly seeing where I wanted the pump to go: (this ring has threads in it, and eventually ends up welded to the underside)

and looking at how the box was going to be situated on the tank:

holes were cut and drilled in the box, so that the pump bracket could be fitted:

the underside: (obviously, the bracket has not been trimmed to length quite yet)

and i cut a big hole in my new tank too:

Additional trimming in progress:

and the tabs are bent: (tabs to help reduce the chance of burning through when I weld. I did a number of test welds to try different methods, and this worked the best)

before checking and adjusting fitment of the box to the tank

Finally, I started welding things up:

and a test fit of the full assembly:

Now, despite my best efforts, I am not a pro welder, and there were a number of places where the seam between the box and the tank just did not seal, and no amount of booger welds could fix it, I was chasing leaks for hours, before I finally gave up on trying to get the welded seam to seal; all I was doing was making it look like shit.

No pics at the moment, since I am still not done yet, but the last weekend was spent cleaning and prepping the tank for a nice coat of POR-15 fuel tank sealer (on the inside), as well as some JB-weld fuel tank repair on the outside.
The plan is that between the sealer and the JB weld, I hope to have a good seal. (bonus: the tank will be protected on the inside too)

Once the inside is all sealed up, the outside will be getting either painted, or covered in bedliner, I haven't decided which yet.

Additionally, once I have this installed in the car, the fuel pump box will be getting a protective cover, to clean up the install, as well as protect the fuel lines as they exit the trunk area.

I still have not purchased the EFI computer yet, but after reading a bunch of documentation, and playing around with software, I am actually starting to lean away from Megasquirt. MS has a good community, but I don't care for the actual documentation, and the software feels clunky to me

On the other hand, though it's a very much more expensive option, I have been looking much harder at the EFI options from Holley. The HP is the one my wallet likes, but after playing with the software, and seeing how the I/O's work, I think (with future expansion/plans in mind) the Dominator might be a better fit for my application. The Dominator will allow me to completely eliminate my OEM senders for the idiot lights, and drive them from the ECU directly, as well as allowing me to implement a number of nifty things, like AC compressor shutoff under hard acceleration, and multi-stage fan control.

The HP's limited I/O's would stop me from doing such things.

I think the MSIII could do all the same things as the Holley offerings, but the documentation... what a mess.
Holley has way better, and clearer to understand documentation, and since I will not be just buying a plug and play kit, documentation is key for me...

I also like that the Holley efferings are not only fully potted, but the connectors are environmental too, so installing the ECU in the engine compartment is fully possible. The MSIII ECU's are not potted, and the D-SUB connectors that the MS boxes use are not environmental connectors either, so moisture ingress is not only possible, but likely.

The Dominator is just so damn expensive though... :cry:
I can afford it, but the number in decidedly not friendly lol