Someone Else's Problem: 1977 Land Rover Series III

As part of making the SIII easier to live with, I got a couple of cheapy LED lights and glued them to the roof. RESULT!

DSC_0202_GS.jpg

You can also see the radio aerial coming through. That was a great bargain from Halfords too. :)

Last edited:
Your seats looks so cool!

very nice, s3 88 was my first car too and was the reason I learnt welding and vehicle electronics :) have fun!!

Ooh just noticed some new posts. The seats are great, the Landy was sold with them, although I had the option to swap them for defender seats and pay less. I'm glad I didn't though after going off road, I would have been on the floor. :lol:

I'm thinking about passing some of the electronics on to someone else, I've bought a reverse lamp but have no idea how to fit it.

Just a quick update, went green laning today with a mate in RJD. Quite a bit of mud around so some parts were a bit slippery but it was great fun. Nice views from the lanes too. :)

Updated pictures

Updated pictures

Pictures taken today. I missed the pool of water when I reversed into this spot but couldn't resist going right through the middle when I left. :D

DSC_0009_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0010_GS.jpg

DSC_0008_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0012_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0014_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0025_GS.jpg

Since I posted the last pics I've taken off the front A-bar, stripped and painted the front bumper, fitted the tow pin, painted a couple of the wheels, made the heater work (sort of) and just today I adjusted the lights so they don't point at the floor, and sealed a leak around the aerial with an old silicone insole. :cool:

Last edited:
Nice, I can't wait to get my Niva out on the trails. It's running now, but I still need to put in the drive shaft.

Nice car you got there, Matt, but I can't help thinking that the car would look even better if you sprayed the roof and sides in the same green as the other body panels?

Bump.

Went to a pay-and-play day at a local off road site yesterday, first time I've been to one like this. After driving the course at the show and not doing too great, I wasn't expecting too much so I was really impressed when it got up/through/over/round everything I pointed it at. I only failed to climb one hill, but I did back away from a few because they would've gone badly wrong.

On my first loop of the course a guy in a Discovery waved me over to tow him out, he was completely stuck in some deep ruts (high-centred for the Americans) and was just spinning all 4 wheels. After about 4 goes with a kinetic strap (like a bungee cord) the little SIII managed to drag the Disco out. Later on I got stuck myself half in some ruts and was towed out by a highly modified 90, which took no effort at all.

I'll post pictures later because I don't have my Photoshop actions here.

Here they are. :)

DSC_0107_GS.jpg

DSC_0108_GS.jpg

DSC_0112_GS.jpg

DSC_0111_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0125_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0126_GS.jpg

DSC_0127_GS.jpg

DSC_0128_GS.jpg

DSC_0129_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0130_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0118_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0455_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0443_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0123_GS.jpg

DSC_0349_GS.jpg

DSC_0473_GS.jpg

DSC_0162_GS.jpg

DSC_0180_GS.jpg

DSC_0259_GS.jpg

DSC_0344_GS.jpg

DSC_0377_GS.jpg

DSC_0422_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0498_GS.jpg

DSC_0501_GS.jpg

There's a problem though now. I was going to take it down to get it washed earlier but it wouldn't start. I think the battery is dead again but it was fine yesterday. :think:

Last edited:
Nice man, looks like fun!

I won't be able to do much of that with my new car :(
but oh well.

That's a proper Landy. Congrats!:thumbup:

I was ignoring this thread because I figured "oh, another old rusted LR. cool, but I've seen too many". I decided to check it out after all though, and I must say, that is a NICE Series III! One of the best ones I have seen in some time.

Love the pics! Sometimes i wish I had something similar. :(