Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
DSCF5200.jpg

DSCF5192.jpg

DSCF5194.jpg

DSCF5190.jpg

DSCF5195.jpg

2005_0508Stuff0011.jpg

1970 Subaru 360. The Subaru 360 was Subaru's first car, produced in Japan from 1958 to 1970, and imported into the US by Malcolm Bricklen, of Yugo fame, from 1968 to 1970. It has a 25 horsepower, two-stroke, 356cc two cylinder powerplant that propels it to anywhere between 50mph and 70mph depending on a variety of factors.
1: Flat, or downhill.
2: Number of passengers.
3: Size of your dinner.
Despite its size and weight, which is 900 pounds, it can seat four in relative comfort.
100_0669-1.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

DSCF5182.jpg

100_0671.jpg

100_0670.jpg

1984 Volkswagen Vanagon with Subaru Legacy 2.2 conversion. It adds about 40-50 horsepower over the stock Volkswagen 1.9 unit, and can be much more reliable as well. I also lowered it 3'' on CIP springs, and the van rides on Mercedes 16'' AMG rims with Falken performance tires. It is good for about 100 mph with the stock Vanagon transmission (could go faster with a pricey transmission swap), which is fast for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a shed.
Vanagon5.jpg

2305611_41_full.jpg

DSCF45751.jpg

pic081206_2.jpg

Vanagon3.jpg

DSCF4577.jpg

DSCF5113.jpg

My cardomain.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/BubsVanagon

This marks my first post here, but I have been into Top Gear since the new series (From 2002 to present) started. I think seeing that the Top Gear Production Team recognizes these formus sparked my interest to join.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Cool vehicles and welcome.

Love the licence plate.

I love how the 360's look. How much quicker is the Vanagon now?

Last edited:
Interesting little car you own there and who could not have a soft spot for that VW :mrgreen: :wub:

It's the first time that I've heared of Subaru engine swaps for the T3 - I can imagine that it's pretty cool because the standard engines for the Bus never were that powerful. I only know of some T3's that are running with Porsche flats, the Subaru conversions should fit in the middle pretty well.

And be sure to have one of the most exclusive cars with your 360 around here. :)

Very cool little ScoobyDoo and awesome licence plate on the VW (also a very cool car/shed)

Late August:

DSCF8488.jpg

My van has actually been off the road for almost two years at this point. I'm almost 20 now and have owned it since I was fifteen. When I put it away in storage for the winter of 2008, it needed a few odds and ends that I intended to get around to in the spring. Well, spring came and suddenly I was working 55 hour weeks and the van went neglected.
DSCF8497.jpg

DSCF8502.jpg

Now that I actually have time again, it meant getting the van back on the road. For any members that don't know about this thing, it is an '84 Vanagon with a Subaru 2.2 swap. It has a four speed manual. Lowered 3'' on H&R Springs and KYB Shocks. Mercedes AMG 16'' wheels. Most of the conversion parts are Kennedy Engineering, where I will also be sourcing my new exhaust system. I already have it back to running and driving condition.
DSCF8491.jpg

In the process of getting it running again, I also snagged a Rabbit GTI shifter from the junkyard while I was there - looks pretty nice. The van runs and drives just fine once again. I needed a new driver side mirror because my original one broke off in storage. Everything else is taken care of at this point. Now, it is going to become more or less a drivable project over the course of the next year or two.
DSCF8504.jpg

Timeline:
Now: Van Cafe' short throw shifter kit (in the mail as I speak)
Repair the exhaust system well enough to last one more year.
Some other odds and ends

Next spring, time permitting:
New Radiator and low-temp thermostat
New gas tank (in lieu of just dropping the old tank to replace some gaskets) and fuel lines

Next summer / fall:
Fresh Legacy 2.2 motor
New exhaust system. Kennedy stainless steel headers, high-flow cat and muffler.
New front brakes and master cylinder
Whatever else I have in mind.

Beyond:
Repaint exterior. Already have paint scheme in mind.
If I were to find a wrecked WRX with a good motor and wiring harness...

9/19/10
DSCF8605.jpg

Just dropped my exhaust system to take care of a very minor 3 1/2 ft. exhaust leak. I'm going to bring it by a local place to have it welded up for now, just for the rest of the season and through next summer. Next September I am setting to work on the fresh motor, which will have the new Kennedy stainless steel header, probably mated to a high-flow cat and something like a glass pack muffler so the boxer sound can be heard better.

There isn't any particular transaxle I could mate with the Legacy motor that would not be very costly and time consuming. Obviously the stock Legacy transaxle would not work, because I would be left with one really slow forward gear and five reverse gears. If I were to play with the tranaxle on this current setup, it would be easier to just put in a taller 3rd and 4th gear.

Although there are definitely some options out there, considering the guys with Porsche Carerra motors, WRX swaps and so on...

Nice ride. The AMG wheels fits the vehicle perfectly :) Did Mercedes Benz really make 16" AMG wheels? I think it may just be me, with normal cars like the Edge being available with 19" rims and all.

That is really badass.

The AMG wheels are 16" because they're probably from a W124, and 16" was considered big back in the day.

:wub: reminds me of the good old '90 T3 Multivan Diesel that died in 2006... except that it would struggle to exceed 100kph :lol:

A really good mate of mine has done the same thing with his VW bus - 2.2 litre Legacy engine. Shocked the hell out of us when we first rode in it and he dropped a cog and floored it. Apparently he knows someone with a split screen powered by a 2.0 litre turbo Impreza lump!

Nice ride, and great plate!!!

I used to do a bit of driving with some worn-out T3 ambulances, and they do need a bit more punch than the ordinary 1.6 can muster.

Cool T3, and cute Subaru. :)

:wub: reminds me of the good old '90 T3 Multivan Diesel that died in 2006... except that it would struggle to exceed 100kph :lol:
I've driven one of these (probably older, though) and the speedo claimed it went 155 kph (no, I didn't believe that then and I don't believe it now). You must have done something wrong. :p

I'm sure yours was not the 57hp 1.7l N/A Diesel, you could have had either a petrol with up to 112hp or the turbo Diesel with 70hp - each and every single one would go faster. If you had enough time and oil to re-fill afterwards (and ear protectors - carrying the matress in the back all-year-round was a blessing because it lowered the sound level by a lot) our speedo would touch 115kph :lol: