1988 Toyota Landcruiser - What to look out for?

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
Going to an auction tomorrow. Car is automatic, 4x4, with 300,000 km. That's all I know.

http://www.gardnerauctions.com/auction_image.php?image_ID=18905

What should I look for? My dad and I have decided that if it is under a grand, we will probably get it if we can hear it run.

It has gone through 3 auctions and no one has budged on it so I'm thinking this might make a good winter beater :).

Rust. That is always a big issue with toyota's of that era. Other than that I'm just going to say look out for the usual stuff. I'm not huge into toyota's (more of a Jeep guy... whowuddaguessedit?)

Rust in the roof gutters and around the bottems of the front and rear windows. On Petrol motors (2F, 3F), valve stem seals. On Diesel motors (2H, 12H-T) rear main seals and crank seals. Personaly ive never seen an auto 60 series so I don't know about the auto, but other than those few things not much goes wrong with them, granted they are pretty basic so there's not much too go wrong.

It sold for about $2500 and the rockers were rusted right through on both sides, battery was loose, oil covered (just like my Camaro :lol:), and it had an electrical fire at one point.

Not worth it but I think I may have found the perfect winter beater just gotta save some more cash :).

Those old toyotas sell for so much, even if they are rotted out and run like shit. It's unbeleivable.