1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS restoration project

I think you're 100% right on the rear end. I think mine would do ok since I'm not looking for more than 300 crank hp.

And on a side note, I bought 2 30th Aniv. 4th gen seats today for $25 each! No burn marks, no bad stains, and they don't smell too bad. The only issue is I need to tighten up the seat rail on the driver's seat. That brings me to this, 4th gen seats ARE COMFY AS HELL. And they fit a bit more snug. I love em.

Here's a teaser pic of part of the seats...

I'm going to be doing a color hybrid for the interior. Black carpet/headliner, grey seats, grey door panels, and gray plastic trim pieces. It'll look purdy.

Last edited:
The friend with the white ca,r he said the stock carpet weighed like 80 lbs. He went to black carpet (He's the one with the 4th gen console I just showed you) and he shaved like 60 lbs off the car, but he took all the noise insulation out too. Im sure you don't care much about those things just like I don't.

4th gen seats are always cool!

I know a guy who's selling red thirdgen seats. The red interiors for these cars were supposedly HORRIBLY UGLY... but I keep consideirng doing a red seats + gray interior in a red car thing... but I dont know. Depends on the condition those seats are in.

You got red 'belts, what was your opinion on the red seats? Were tehy they ugly?

The friend with the white ca,r he said the stock carpet weighed like 80 lbs. He went to black carpet (He's the one with the 4th gen console I just showed you) and he shaved like 60 lbs off the car, but he took all the noise insulation out too. Im sure you don't care much about those things just like I don't.

4th gen seats are always cool!

I know a guy who's selling red thirdgen seats. The red interiors for these cars were supposedly HORRIBLY UGLY... but I keep consideirng doing a red seats + gray interior in a red car thing... but I dont know. Depends on the condition those seats are in.

You got red 'belts, what was your opinion on the red seats? Were tehy they ugly?

4th gen seats are a MUST for any 3rd/2nd gen owner. They are a BILLION times better--especially the leather. The red interior I had was hideous...I really hated it.
Grey and black inside pretty much works with any exterior color. I'd stay away from the red seats! And as a bonus the 4th gen seats snug you in a bit--which is awsome as the 3rd gen seats meant too much of your body moving during "spirited" cornering.

And FYI for those who are going to come in and say the Camaro handles like crap I'm going to preemptively tell you to sod off. :lol:

Sure those are real? I thought all anniversary seats were leather with colored designs, not cloth with traced ones. And i've never seen 4th gen seats in that color scheme.

Sure those are real? I thought all anniversary seats were leather with colored designs, not cloth with traced ones. And i've never seen 4th gen seats in that color scheme.

The effort it would take to "Fake" a set of anniversary seats is hardly worth it. It's not like you'd pay an extra $500 for a set of seats that say "30" on them.

I'm sure they're real, maybe rare, but real. Seats/upholstery just aren't one of those things worth faking.

For lack of a better way to put it, it would be like faking "RS" badges.

The effort it would take to "Fake" a set of anniversary seats is hardly worth it.

Take seat upholstery, use a press to press the shape into it, put on seat. I cant say why they did it, but i can tell you those arent 30th anniversary seats.

I'm 99% sure that every 1997 30th anniversary package ever came in white leather (to go with the white paint w/ orange stripes that they came with), with colored "30" on TOP of the seat, not pressed into it. And i've never seen any 4th gen camaro seat in that color, the grey standard seats are a dark/light grey 2 tone. I suspect someones seat was ripped and it was reupholstered and while they were at it they thought "eh, lets press a 30th anniversary symbol into it".

30th-z28-embrodered-logo.jpg

30th-z28-interior-seats-350.jpg

Edit: Not that they aren't nice seats, they are. I just hope you didnt pay any extra for genuine anniversary seats.

Last edited:
unless it was from a standard V6 camaro from 97 ?? because every other camaro ive seen has white leather seats with the white and orange paint

The 30th anniversary stuff was an appearance package (like the new "Bullet" mustang is for the mustang GT deluxe) on the Z/28 and SS cars, as far as i know. I dont believe it would have appeared on every camaro made, but i could be wrong.

It got you white paint with ugly orange stripes, and white leather seats with the camaro symbol and "30" on it.

EDIT: I am completely and totally wrong about them being fake, those are indeed genuine standard (non-appearance-packaged) 1997 seats. I just did some poking around. But i still maintain this is the first time i've seen 4th gen seats ever with one-tone color and a non-embossed 30th anny thing. o_O Rare find!

Last edited:
unless it was from a standard V6 camaro from 97 ?? because every other camaro ive seen has white leather seats with the white and orange paint

It was a V6 Camaro I think, it had V6 wheels and no Z28 exhaust tips. But that doesn't prove or disprove it me thinks.

The 30th anniversary stuff was an appearance package (like the new "Bullet" mustang is for the mustang GT deluxe) on the Z/28 and SS cars, as far as i know. I dont believe it would have appeared on every camaro made, but i could be wrong.

It got you white paint with ugly orange stripes, and white leather seats with the camaro symbol and "30" on it.

EDIT: I am completely and totally wrong about them being fake, those are indeed genuine standard (non-appearance-packaged) 1997 seats. I just did some poking around. But i still maintain this is the first time i've seen 4th gen seats ever with one-tone color and a non-embossed 30th anny thing. o_O Rare find!

Awsome, so the fact that they are rare and only costed me $25 per seat I made out like a bandit? SWEET!

See, the reason I knew tehy weren't fake is because, despite however easy it would be to press it in or reupholster the seat (Neither of which is a simple job seeing as how they require removing the seat from the car at the least) and most importantly because no one will actually pay super premium prices for 30th anniversary seats. The amount of extra money you could make off of that (ie pretty much nil) is so minute that it wouldnt be worth the trouble, unless there are a lot of people desperately searching for the 30th anniversary seats.

Faking and counterfeiting things is only worth it when the gains justify the effort. For example, you dont counterfeit pennies, dimes, or even quarters. You dot count counterfeit $1 or $5 bills either. You counterfeit $100's or even $50's.

Counterfeiting something is rarely worth the effort. FOr all intents and purposes a set of 30th anniversary seats are barely more valuable than regular seats.

I just thought it was weird because i've never ever seen or heard of seats like that, despite seeing many of the (i assume) more rare leather ones.

Last edited:
But nonetheless, these seats rock. Any 3rd gen owner needs to ge a pair of 4th gen seats. Its like night and day.

Kinda ironic that i inadvertently swapped in after market ones, they even have little pockets in the back to put stuff in, like a station wagon :D

spot5.jpg

Those too are some good looking seats. :D

Two new boring videos. <_< The sound seems to be off a bit...

[YOUTUBE]rUuVAImZ24I[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]3_Aec1xROdc[/YOUTUBE]

====================================

*edit* Here is the project cost talley.

Current total (not including labor):
5 cans of rattle can ceramic paint @ $25
1 can of sound deadener spray @ $4.50
1 fuel filter @ $10
1 transmission mount @ $6.50
2 4th gen 30th aniv. seats @ $50
1 instrument cluster cover @ $0
1 can of Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner @ $4
3 cans of Seafoam @ $15
1 open element intake @ $28
1 pair 4th gen Z28 exhaust tips @ $40
1 PCV valve $2
2 cans B12 chemtool parts cleaner @ $6
1 valve cover breather @ $3
1 3rd gen ram air hood/bonnet @ $250

Me Needs:
black carpet @ $350
black floor mats @ $50
grey door panels @ $200
grey door arm rests @ $50
black headliner @ $200
grey interior trim pieces (all of it) @ $200
4th gen Firebird/Trans-Am console @ $50 (or $100)
4th gen front seatbelts @ $40
new fenders @ $200
new front nose @ $200
new ground effects @ $200
fix driver rear quater panel dent @ $200
new tail lgiht bulb housings @ $20
new Chevy Celebrity headlights @ $100
side indicator lenes @ $40
front turn indicator lenses @ $80
LED bulb replacements for tails, side and front indicators @ $50
Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs @ $40
temporary paint (black or yellow) $50
new radiator @ $200
new hoses @ $30
new belt tensioner @ $40
have someone smoke my taillights @ $200
have the same guy clean and paint my engine bay $200
new hatch lock @ $50
new hatch key cylinder @ $20
new speakers @ $150
new radio head unit @ $100

Last edited:
Dude just a suggestion, return that transmission mount and get a polyurethane mount. Those rubber ones will break EVERY SINGLE TIME. THey're USELESS. You'll be replacing it again in a month. Don't ask me how I know....

so then yours seats are from a 97 but who cares really there nice Fin seats. i love mine. when they finally wear all the way down on me ill get them redone and get holes for a 5 point race harness one day.

as for the sound of your car, you can tell its a V8 but not as thunderous as im sure you think it would sound. did you gut the cat ? is it a stock exhaust ? gutting yoru car will open up the throatiness abit.

as for the sound of your car, you can tell its a V8 but not as thunderous as im sure you think it would sound.

:whistle:

(they have 305s) :D

:whistle:

(they have 305s) :D

haha nothing wrong with how a 305 sounds. my 267 sounds good with headers and cats :mrgreen: but thats all it has lol it sounds like a huey from far away its fucking great! but i gotta quiet my impala up because my camaro will be getting true duels come the summer time >:D

so then yours seats are from a 97 but who cares really there nice Fin seats. i love mine. when they finally wear all the way down on me ill get them redone and get holes for a 5 point race harness one day.

as for the sound of your car, you can tell its a V8 but not as thunderous as im sure you think it would sound. did you gut the cat ? is it a stock exhaust ? gutting yoru car will open up the throatiness abit.

Yea they are real nice seats...so much more comfy. And as for the exhaust...
  • Stock headers
  • Gutted cat
  • Flo-pro muffler
  • Custom rectagular tips with an open rear for sound resinance.

It doesn't sound low and throaty to you? I think it sounds just as mean as a 350 frankly. :mrgreen:

Dude just a suggestion, return that transmission mount and get a polyurethane mount. Those rubber ones will break EVERY SINGLE TIME. THey're USELESS. You'll be replacing it again in a month. Don't ask me how I know....

I've replaced two in 125,000 miles. And they both were rubber. for now I just wanted the cheap $6 rubber mount. I'll change to the other mount when I fix my oil sending unit that's leaking oil on the mount and thus eventually cracking it. :D