1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS restoration project

I see you're going to rebuidl the 305. Definitely not the route I would have taken.

Those L03's are practically worthless. I've got one in the backyard that I cant give away, and it runs! The cylinder heads are absolutely terrible. I'm going to assume you have a throttle body injected car and not a quadrajet carbureted car.

What you need are some corvette 113 heads if you want to go NA, which is still a waste IMO. If you're paying for all the machinework and new crank, new rods, new pistons, then you're not going to spend any more money than you would on a 350 (In fact, you can easily spend more). A 350 core costs $50, maybe.

If you just are that hung up on being "Different", understand that if you want to make power with less cubic inches you're going to need ab igger cam than an equivalent 350 and that means less streetability. You're going to need a nice stall converter, a rebuilt transmission to handle the power, and probably much steeper rear end gears to match.

I've probably mentioned my buddy with the 305 RS "Sport Coupe"? He just went 12.39 with 416 heads. A few years ago he went 12.31 with those corvette heads, but after he switched to the new heads, his times went from 12.3 to 13.3 - the corvette heads had a crack in them so they had to go, and it cost him dearly.

He's got a 4.56 rear end gear, mostly gutted car (it's got a full interior, but other than that...) with a hopped up Turbo 350 transmission (His 700r4 died). His car weighs a hair less than 3000 lbs (stock thirdgens weigh 3300-4,000). Also, to put it into perspective, the Turbo 350 transmission and 4.56 gears mean that with stock wheels/tires, you're going to turn around 4,000 RPMs at 65 mph. The Turbo 350s dont have a lockup either so they will constantly slip (creates tons of heat in the transmission too) as part of their normal operation, so knock that RPM number up a little higher. Th350's are much stronger and lighter than 700r4s, though.

watermark_437351_293_full.jpg

So dont let me discourage you, you CAN go fast with a 305, but it's been done and it will cost you more than doing it with a 350 and it will cost you in terms of practicality to get there.

If you insist on reusing the 305, TRASH THE HEADS. Those swirlport garbage heads are absolutely useless for anything except towing or boat anchors. They do NOT make power.

With a rebuild you're going to be doing everything to that block that you'd have to do to a 350 block you find anyway. You dont want to reuse the heads because they're junk for power. So put yourself down for new heads (which for a 305 are much harder to find, you'll be stuck dealing with heads geared more towards 350s). Also since you're going to rebuild it, that means boring it out to clean up the cylinder walls. That means new pistons. You'll want to buy some decent forged connecting rods. They're barely more expensive than reconditioning the stock ones and they usually come with much nicer ARP bolts which make it easily worth it. You may want to go to a new crankshaft, depending on your feelings on reusing the old one. The cam is, again, useless. You'll want a new cam. The new cam will necessitate a better valvetrain. The stock rocker arms wont be happy with stiffer valve springs and so forth, so you might as well upgrade those too. That may mean you cant use the old valvecovers depending on what rockers you pick. You need a new distributor and intake manifold since you're going to a carburetor....

What does that leave that's original? Only the block, the oil pan, the flexplate, and maybe the timing chain cover.

As far as exhaust sound... ? That's got so much to do with what actual exhaust you're using and your cam and your heads than anything to do with the specific bore of your motor. The Ford 302's are a 4.000 inch bore just like 350s anyway.

One thing I would SERIOUSLY consider. Smaller bores are much less prone to detonation. The difference between 350s and 305s isn't huge, per se, but if you're going to go forced induction, like a turbo, a cheap 305 is a GREAT option. Consider stroking it out to a 334. You'll have to pay for all the irritating 383 parts that cost more, and you wont even have as much displacement as a standard 350, but you'll be able to handle more boost without detonation with a smaller bore, which could make it worth it. Seriously consider doing a turbo setup. It's going to require lower compression, so I'd go with 350 heads such as 083's, and then use dished pistons and you have a perfect motor for forced induction. Just finding a TPI setup and learning to tune it will be all you need to do to make it work. IT's not hard to get carbs to work with turbos, but you lose the small safety net that the knock sensor provides that way.

Do you want 300 hp at the crank or at the wheels? At the crank isnt too hard. A very mild cam plus some decent heads like the 081's, 416's, or 113s, shorties, 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust, and you might get there. 300hp at the wheels is going to require a cam closer to 230/230, some really good shortie headers or better yet, Long tube headers and a custom exhaust to go with it, and some really good heads. Corvette 113's at least.

For the carburetor swap, you're going to need a Fuel pressure regulator (The cheapest you'll want to go on this is a Mallory 4309 unit, $75), a carburetor (I suggest a Holley 650 DP, avoid Edelbroke), an intake manifold (the only thing edelbroke does right), a distributor, and fuel lines.

This is how I have my lines routed:

100_6139.jpg

I used Jegs Pushloc hose, which is cheap and works awesome and doesn't cut your hands to pieces like braided steel line. NHRA approved too. The fittings will cost you dearly. Expect to pay about $10-15 for each adapter and fitting you need. -6 AN should work fine for what you're doing (I'm using -6). Im using those screw-clamps for the time being, they work fine. I'll switch to proper fittings eventually. Your fuel lines will most likely be in the same place unless you've got a carbureted car, in which case they're on the other side of the engine bay which is better!

You can either use a regulator to dial the stock fuel pressure down to a useful level for a carburetor (should be going from around 15 to around 5-8psi). If you do it this way MAKE SURE YOU RUN A RETURN LINE. It allows the excess fuel to run back to the pump, keeps the pump from overworking, overheating, and failing. You do NOT want to drop the tank to swap out the pump. It's a job and a half. The feed and return lines are already there (You can see in the picture) so it's just a matter of connecting them to the regulator. THe 3rd hard line you see is for the evap canister which bleeds off built up gasses inside the fuel tank and the ECM pumps them into the throttle body whenever it feels like it. Just saves gas. You dont need it, so just leave the line open to the air or run it out the fender or something. The evap can is gone on my car entirely.

THe other option is to drop teh tank, install a carb pickup (I dont know how to do this, but apparently it's not difficult to make a carburetor pickup at all), and then just run your fuel lines to a mechanical pump and then to the carburetor. This is actually cheaper, but more work, and you've got to buy lots of fittings and fuel lines still. $$$$$

Then you have to deal with teh fuel pump wiring and the torque converter lockup.

The fuel pump is easy. I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out what the hell the actual circuit was. I got a LOT of contradicting information and this is what I managed to nail down. This is what the circuit looks like, stock:

FuelPump.png

Older cars have the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure switch at different places. Newer ones like mine have them in the same unit.

This is the newer style and where it's located:

100_5597.jpg

What happens is that once oil pressure builds up to a certain amount, a switch in the sending unit allows +12v to hit the fuel pump relay, which triggers the fuel pump to turn on.

This is the Electronic Spark Control (ESC) module, and the Fuel Pump relay is behind it. The fan relay is next to it also.
relay.png

The problem is that when you first hit the keys to start the car, you dont have enough oil pressure to trigger the switch. Therefore the car will take several seconds (at least) to fire. You'll wear out your battery and waste time, etc. It WILL start, but it will take forever. Not convenient. So what happens is when you first hit the switch, the ECM overrides the oil pressure switch and triggers the relay. The ECM only does this right at startup, though. Im not sure exactly, probably 5 or 10 seconds or something like that. It is no longer needed once you have sufficient oil pressure and it doesnt send signal after that.

This is actually a safety feature, it makes sure that once the engine is off, the fuel pump is off. As soon as you lose oil pressure, the fuel pump turns off. That means if you get into a horrendous accident and the motor is suddenly stopped/stalled, the fuel will stop also.

What you need to do to convert it to carb, is to wire up a manual priming switch. Not a big deal, just send +12v to a switch, and run that switch to the relay to where the ECM sent +12v to it. Essentially, you are taking over the role the ECM used to play. You turn on the fuel pump when the ECM used to, and as soon as you've got oil pressure, you can switch it off and not worry about horrendous fires just like you wouldn't if the car were stock. :)

If you drive your car often, you may not need to use it very much as fuel will probaly stay in the bowls. But if you park it overnight or something and it bleeds down, that's what the switch is for. You use it to prime the pump and get te car started, as soon as you're running, switch it back off and if you wired everything right you should still have fuel. :)

The Torque converter lockup is a relatively simple matter too, but Im not sure exactly what to do on that yet. My build ran into problems before I could get around to fixing it. You'll ahve 3 pins on the transmission that are used. 2 of them are relevant, 1 is not. One gets +12 to lockup the converter, one is a signal wire to the ECM (I think it tells the ECM it's in 4th gear), and one is a ground. I THINK that's right.

700wired.gif

Run +12 to Pin A, and run Pin D to ground... that SHOULD be it. It's a little weird... just figure out which wires are coming from the ECM, and one of those should get +12v. Figure out which one, and wire up another manual switch for it.

The diagram above shows the lockup circuit running through the brake switch. The switch theyre referring to is a brake switch from a car that has cruise control. The switch is normally closed, except when you hit the brakes, that's when it disconnects the circuit. If you dont have cruise control, then that's great, get a switch for a car that does (It's like $10 or something, cheap) and run teh circuit through that. That means that the converter will unlock under braking (keeps you from stalling) like it's supposed to. It will lock again if you get off of it probably, so you need to remember to turn the switch off. Im not positive if it will only lock in 4th gear or whether it will lock in 2nd-4th. If it will only lock in 4th, then if it downshifts you wont have to worry about hitting the switch as much. :)

Last edited:
Also, just to give you some ideas, this is how I ran my switches. A friend of mine gave me this ashtray from an older car. My ashtray isnt the same so it wont work with mine, HOWEVER, these things should be cheap as hell and common as dirt so you coudl make one easy. :)

l_6ee25627f913f3daa955481c704cd4ac.jpg

I will probably rattle can this old sucker back to black eventually.

l_9a19a1470d9118464855070bb74bc282.jpg

And you can see from teh driver's perspective that they're clearly hideable. Just flip down teh door and no more switches. Pretty trick. :)

That's some good info on the 305. And to address several points...

1. 300bhp at the crank.
2. This isn't my hotrod, so I don't even really care about being all decked out in performance parts that will cost me a billion $$.
3. You mentioned turbo, how are you going to put a turbo onto a carb car? That'll cost more than the rebuild.
4. The exhaust notes I hear from every 350 out there doesn't sound the way I like--and forgive my big head but I honestly think my exhaust sounds better than any Gen I-III 350. I'm reusing tbe cat, buying a new version of the same muffler and only swapping out the current tips for the 4th gen Z28 ones.

Oh, and its nice to see a good 3rd en interior for a change. I miss my interior, I wish I never took it out. :lol: So based upon those points, what's the CHEAPEST route to 300bhp at the crank. Could I just drop on a blower and tweak the air/fuel deivery and be done with it?

I honestly think my exhaust sounds better than any Gen I-III 350.

If you like the sound of raspmasters that is.

If you like the sound of raspmasters that is.

WTF, my car doesn't sound raspy. :p You're just mad because I prefer my exhaust to yours. Its ok, we like our cars more than other people's. Its normal. :cool:

That's some good info on the 305. And to address several points...

1. 300bhp at the crank.
2. This isn't my hotrod, so I don't even really care about being all decked out in performance parts that will cost me a billion $$.
3. You mentioned turbo, how are you going to put a turbo onto a carb car? That'll cost more than the rebuild.
4. The exhaust notes I hear from every 350 out there doesn't sound the way I like--and forgive my big head but I honestly think my exhaust sounds better than any Gen I-III 350. I'm reusing tbe cat, buying a new version of the same muffler and only swapping out the current tips for the 4th gen Z28 ones.

Oh, and its nice to see a good 3rd en interior for a change. I miss my interior, I wish I never took it out. :lol: So based upon those points, what's the CHEAPEST route to 300bhp at the crank. Could I just drop on a blower and tweak the air/fuel deivery and be done with it?

300 at the crank is easy. You can go with 416 heads and a nice street cam and get there. If you want heads a little better than that, get Corvette 113 heads.

Make sure you get a decent gear ratio for the rear. I would suggest 3.42's if you like the highway. Very manageable. If you want a little more speed, try 3.73's, but you'll pay a little more at highway speeds. Dont go higher than 3.73s.

For a cam, try to get a roller cam and roller lifters, you got a roller block - take advantage of it. Look into the LT4 Hot cam(s).

But I want you to understand - you will NOT save much, if any money, by keeping the 305.

Also, I dont know what exhaust you have, but if it's the pathetic stock manifolds -> y-pipe and a stock sized I-pipe... you're shitting a lot of performance that you already paid for down the drain. At least get some Hooker 2055 shorties (They come with a y-pipe that will bolt up to the stock catback) and a decent mandrel bent catback. Even some cheap Hedman shorties will suffice.

I saw the stock system that came off my car up close and personal. It was BAD.

Also, props for a relatively clean thirdgen interior!

My driver's seat is torn to shreds, though, so it's quite the blemish on an otherwise decent (but a little dusty at the time of the picture) interior.

100_5423.jpg

SilverFace3.jpg

Last edited:
300 at the crank is easy. You can go with 416 heads and a nice street cam and get there. If you want heads a little better than that, get Corvette 113 heads.

Make sure you get a decent gear ratio for the rear. I would suggest 3.42's if you like the highway. Very manageable. If you want a little more speed, try 3.73's, but you'll pay a little more at highway speeds. Dont go higher than 3.73s.

For a cam, try to get a roller cam and roller lifters, you got a roller block - take advantage of it. Look into the LT4 Hot cam(s).

What about just putting on a blower and tuning the air/fuel delivery?

But I want you to understand - you will NOT save much, if any money, by keeping the 305.

Actually I will, it will save me at least a bare minimum for cost for a new long block.

Also, props for a relatively clean thirdgen interior!

But I don't have an interior. :lol:

:mrgreen:

*edit*

Things I did today:

1. Put 1pt of Seafoam in full gas tank.
2. Put 2/3 of 1pt of Seafoam in crankcase (oil).
3. Ran 1/3 of 1pt of Seafoam through PCV vaccuum line.
4. New air flter.
5. New PCV valve.
6. Cleaned out throttle body.
7. Cleaned out general area around TB and intake.
8. Drove it in 2nd gear to help burn out the carbon (high RPM = good).

The results is my car is running fantastic! I love it. There was some carbon and sludge built up--and thus burned out. Now it runs as good as it did 50,000 miles ago when I did all of these things at the same time. Now all I need is to replace/remove the EGR valve and smog pump. :D

Last edited:
i gotta get me some seafoam. but cant find a friggin store that sells any. if you go or removing the EGR from your Lo3 it might mess up the ECU. so be careful with that. unless your going to get it tuned. and an update on my car. its got plates and soon a parking brake again! :D

i havent been on in awhile but i glimpsed through the pages. dont bother with the LO3 or LO5 unless you wanna replace almost everything. find a pull i tyourself dump and go find an LSx engine and carb it up for 1400 or so for the intake carb and the ignition box. itll be more costly then running a gen 1 or gen 2 block but even with the engine stock youd be destroying anything.

i wish my 82 impala had that engine :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4sH2RSKStg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHqFBbuXIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BFJMvHYws

its Fin sick!

Last edited:
I think I want to go 305 carb. If I can find a 350 block for cheap with some good heads and cam already installed I might just do that. But my first choice IS my 305. :D

*edit*
And yes, Seafoam is the shit you need to use it.

What about just putting on a blower and tuning the air/fuel delivery?

YOu have to adjust the carb around to work on might higher manifold pressures (I say high, I mean approaching and exceeding atmospheric pressure slightly. Normally manifold pressure is usually a vacuum, it will often approach atmospheric pressure but IM not sure that it would bea ble to exceed it.

Forced induction functions at and above atmosphericp ressure, so a lot of settings on the carb need to switched out and redone. It's doable, no problem there, but you'll just have to do some research on it. If you want to run any kind of significant amount of boost, run a 64cc head and dished pistons to keep the compression ratio low.

Actually I will, it will save me at least a bare minimum for cost for a new long block.

Major parts of hte long block:

Crankshaft, rods, pistons, block, and heads.

Assuming you have an L03, the only part of that you will want to reuse is the block.

You can get the rods reconditioned and the crank ground under slightly to get to fresh meat on the crank journals, and you'll want some nice ARP rod bolts if you do decide to go with the stock rods.

IF you go with the stock crank and rods, you will NOT have very good luck with a supercharger.

The heads are garbage.

The block will need anyhwere from $300-$600 worth of machine work. Allign-hone, boring the cylinders out to get perfectly round cylinder walls, machining the deck (I suggest zero-decking it for a good quench), and honing the cylinders.

The hone and bore will require new pistons. You WILL buy new pistons.

You CAN reuse the stock rods, but you can get decent forged rods for $160-$200 without too much trouble, and reconditioning hte stock rods and giving them ARP bolts will set you back a good chunk of hte cost of the new rods, if not all of it. It's stupid to reuse the stock rods for that reason.

So like I said man, you're not going to save much money.

A 350 block is $50. The machine work is around $450 on average. Do you really want to do all that machine work on a 305 block when you can get a bigger motor for another $50? It's the most common sbc ever made, they're everywhere, and they're cheap. Machinework costs the same on all of them.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just went through ALL of this over the past year, and trust me, when you get done, there is very little you can actually reuse, and the parts you CAN reuse, it's stupid to reuse them when stronger aftermarket replacements are as cheap as they are.

If you go forced induction, throw reusing anything out the window. It's not a matter of IF it will break, but when.

So am I to assume that for 300bhp (crank) I'm going to need at a minimum heads, full exhaust--header to tips, cam, and what else? If I want 300bhp I assume it can be done on a 305 block with little trouble if its carb'd. Why would I want a 350 bock when I can achive my goal with a 305? I understand everyone's hatred and or dislike of the 305, but it will meet my goal so why should I ditch it? I've even come to the realization that it may cost me more money to do the 305 to meet my goal (not much more but more nonetheless)--but at this point that doesn't bother me. I can wait another paycheck for the parts neccessary to make my crank horsepower goal.

I DO appreciate the advice, I do really, but I just want to use the 305. Something most people seem to neglect is that fact that I am not making a street or strip machine. This is a daily driver with enough power to make the drive to work and back fun. :mrgreen:

You've so far given me some good info, so when I get ready for the rebuild I'll let you know. :D

=====================================

On another topic, what do you guys (and gals?) think of this for the next project.

This:
011.jpg

Plus this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#4800, with a couple of turbos.

mann dont even bother with the 305. just get a 350 vortec short block (4 bolt main and built to last for decades) or long block. carb it up and cam it and youll be making 400hp crank with ease

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/67838_budget_vortec_head_cam_355_build/index.html

if you stay with the 305 youll be missing out on 45 CI. and 45 CI is something that iisnt going to hurt how fast your engine red lines or making it laggy. all itll do is give you the capability of making a shat load more power. and if you want a street machine that isnt hard to deal with you could run a less shouty cam and still make the same power if not more

Something most people seem to neglect is that fact that I am not making a street or strip machine.

Because for the exact same money and work, you get less power. THat's why.

You can pay more for less power if you want, feel free. I'm just telling you how it is.

And to recap, for 300 hp at the flywheel, heads are a given. You will NEED new heads. From there it gets considerably easier. It's all about picking a cam from there, and all you need is a mild street cam. A decent exhaust system would definitely get you there. I dont know what you have now, though. But shorties and a 3inch mandrel bent catback will do a lot of good and get you proably 15-20hp coming from the stock (or stock-sized) garbage.

ANd i wnt to reiterate, 300 flywheel hp with a 305 isnt hard at all, but for the parts you buy to make 300 fwhp, you can make 350 fwhp with a 350 ci motor. Same amount of money, more power.

What rear end gears do you have? That will affect how big of a cam you can use, but you should be able to hit 300 horsepower at the flywheel without too much trouble.

Last edited:
What rear end gears do you have? That will affect how big of a cam you can use, but you should be able to hit 300 horsepower at the flywheel without too much trouble.

I'll be installing a 4th gen rear end.

Ok, lets change the subject. You guys aren't seeming to get what I'm saying. I'm sticking with the 305 irregardless of the lower cubic inches.

==========================================
SUBJECT CHANGE.

Let the color choices begin. Post your suggestions on color choices for the exterior. I'm open for new ideas other than going with my black on black scheme.

Note: Blue mica from Subaru is out, so are the Mystic Chrome or color changing paint.

Last edited:
Gulf livery FTW!

o_O why? Its made of toothpicks and spit!

Color = White or off-white.

2_1.jpg

Ok, lets change the subject. You guys aren't seeming to get what I'm saying. I'm sticking with the 305 irregardless of the lower cubic inches.

==========================================
SUBJECT CHANGE.

Let the color choices begin. Post your suggestions on color choices for the exterior. I'm open for new ideas other than going with my black on black scheme.

Note: Blue mica from Subaru is out, so are the Mystic Chrome or color changing paint.

I see exactly what you're doing with the 305, and that's fine. If you want to spend the same amount of money for less power, more power to ya, enjoy it. I'm only trying to help you with something you might regret later. I just dont want you doing it thinking you can save money. You will save a little money, but it's so insignificant in the big picture. It's like buying new tires and reusing the valve stem cap to save money, understand? I just want you to be aware of this. THat's all. If you want to keep it, feel free to keep it. It's still a smallblock chevy and you can still do anything to it that you can do to any other sbc. It's just a little little bit harder.

On the subject of rear ends, the 4th gen rear end and the 3rd gen rear end are exactly the same except the 4th gen rear sticks out 2 inches farther on each side. That's 4 inches wider total. It looks really trashy to use your stock wheels with it. So you'll need new wheels.

And that still doesn't tell you the gear ratio (The important part) and I dont know that all 4th gen rear ends are even limited slip rear ends. It may well be an open rear just like what you have. The gears themselves and the housing are exactly the same as what came on 3rd gens, that's why they swap right in - they're the same thing. So you're just as likely to get shit gears out of a 4th gen car as you are out of yours.

This is what a 4th gen rear looks like on a 3rd gen

http://img266.imageshack.**/img266/2452/p1010003ar8.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.**/img266/7049/p1010006ym8.jpg

It looks tolerable from some angles, but it just looks really dorky from others. To make it look right, you'll need 4th gen wheels and spacers for the front wheels. I personally think it just looks really dumb to have the rubber out past the fenders, the human eye can catch even the slightest misproportions very quickly. It's even worse when you look at it from teh front and you can see how the rear and front tires dont line up at all. That only works with fatties and skinnies, set up drag race style.

BTW that isn't my car.

http://img174.imageshack.**/img174/6551/camaro1ix5.png

http://img171.imageshack.**/img171/5512/camaro2qi9.png

And Firebirds actually have narrower rear fenders than Camaros do, so here's what it looks like on a 'bird:

ls1_4.jpg

4th_gen_rear.jpg

Since you're looking to get new wheels this isnt a big deal, just letting you know. But get some 4th gen wheels and you'll be set. Just remember to get a spacer for the front.

Last edited:
Nothing screams redneck more than a 3rd Gen F-body with the rear tires sticking out past the fenders... I can hear the banjo now...

And I visualize a episode of cops heading for a domestic disturbance in a trailer park :D

As for the engine, go rediculous...Duramax Diesel...

A 350 is easier to get parts for and make stupid fast, although if you want to stay 5.0, put in a Ford 5.0....I see enough Fox bodies with SBC's in them that someone should do the opposite. :nod:

A 350 is easier to get parts for and make stupid fast, although if you want to stay 5.0, put in a Ford 5.0....I see enough Fox bodies with SBC's in them that someone should do the opposite. :nod:

What? That just isn't right.:blink: