1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS restoration project

remember kids, red and yellow make cops like you more :D because they can see you alot easier. a dark metallic blue would look sharp. or. the color ive fallen in love with... new Z06 blue
2008-jetstream-Z061.jpg

That is a real nice blue. :D

I'm compiling an image archive of Camaros with different colors. I should have the choices up maybe tomorrow.

idk if your into orange or not but the new vette also has this real nice orange. the owner of this body shop next to me just got it. it looks amazing.
2070202.006.1M.jpg

in the sun it pops so much it looks awesome. and another good color that takes balls to have.
82cam19253-A.JPG
a real deep purple

The metallic blue and metallic maroon red are both BEAUTIFUL colors IMO, but they're so common... blue maybe not so much, but a lot of people know how pretty that color is and get their cars painted that color, so I avoid it.

That's why I was kicking around metallic orange.... This is an orange that was originally used by Lotus.

Z28Ext_1280.jpg

elise.jpg

It's a very interesting color, unfortunately, I prefer darker colors usually. I hate the wheels on that car too (no dish to them, and I hate black, UNLESS there's a dish with a polished lip, and that doesnt ahve it. Looks like a goofy hotwheels car to me.)

Another suggestion that I think looks really awesome is a stock color on thirdgens that's fairly rare - Sunset Orange Metallic

projectcar1.jpg

Very interesting color if you ask me, and I think it looks better than the above color. But it's just as unique. It's as pretty as the maroon, but it's different.

Z28Pictures-TunedWheels.jpg

CrazyHCamaro3.jpg

l_171dbf0a4a61c44c9a49df4260fd7bf6.jpg

Another option, and i normally hate silver cars, they're SO bland and soulless usually, especially when they're German. But a silver thirdgen looks REALLY cool.

This is a very light silver and I think it looks amazing...
occ0520.jpg

Silver just wasnt a popular color during the 80s, and you dont realy notice until you see a silver thirdgen. It just looks odd, but cool...

This is a darker silver that was also a stock color...
Daniel_U1988ChevroletIROCCamaro-1.jpg

Also, I found this on my hard drive while looking for pics and it reminded me of a super good looking wheel for these cars. It's an S10 wheel, but it fits perfectly. No spacers, nothing. The only problem is that tehy're 16 inch wheels and not 17's, which is why I've dismissed them as an option, but they look VERY good.

zq8.jpg

Last edited:
Gun metal is definately on my list! Silver on a 3rd gen isn't so generic because I've seen 2 or 3 of them. Its on my list. All types of orange are as well.

So far orange, blue, and now gun metal are the definitive top 3 choices. That Lotus orange is just fantastic.

By the way, as long as you keep the 700r4 and have an overdrive gear, I'd go with 3.42's, or 3.73's. 3.73s will be slightly irritating on the highway, but 3.42s will be very nice. Just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. With 3.73's you'll be doing around 2000 RPM at 60 mph and 2400 RPM at 70 mph. Not too bad, really. I wouldn't go higher than that. The 4.11's are a bit much and at those high ratios the gear count means that there's more stress put on each tooth - more likely to break.

By the way, as long as you keep the 700r4 and have an overdrive gear, I'd go with 3.42's, or 3.73's. 3.73s will be slightly irritating on the highway, but 3.42s will be very nice. Just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. With 3.73's you'll be doing around 2000 RPM at 60 mph and 2400 RPM at 70 mph. Not too bad, really. I wouldn't go higher than that. The 4.11's are a bit much and at those high ratios the gear count means that there's more stress put on each tooth - more likely to break.

Wil my gas mileage be better with 3.42? I think I need a combination of passing power and gas mileage. Low down acceleration will always be there since the SBC 305/350 makes just so much torque.

Go with the sunset orange, maybe add some black stripes. Orange + black = badass

+1 I like orange with black stripes. If I do orange it WILL have back stripes. :mrgreen:

===================================================

Here are the color choices so far:

I'll leave the captions of what color is what to your imagination. :D

Me too. Its the best blue I've seen on the 3rd gen.

That blue is a stock color, you see it on lots of IROCs. Pretty color, but like I said, for me it's a little too common (Especially for repaints) So if I wanted to change th color of my car I'd definitely do the sunset orange metallic... just a neat color!

But you can't go wrong with that blue, it's really beautiful.

OH, and if you go with black stripes, DO NOT GO WITH FULL BODY STRIPES. It looks TERRIBLE, IMO.

Go with the same pattern as the 92 Heritage stripes.

heritagedecal.jpg

They look SO good and they work perfectly with the body lines of these cars and don't screw up the aesthetics of the front end. Notice they dont go on teh roof, they're not on the front bumper, and they're not on the rear bumper. Only the hood and the rear decklid/spoiler.

amack61992ChevroletCamaro.jpg

To compare: full body stripes:

small_version.jpg

mycar.jpg

stripes1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to lean towards the gun metal...

gunmetal.jpg

gun metal is nice but be sure to add metal flake. thatll make it pop real nicely. ive seen some cars with a paint like that and it looks good. plus itll give your 3rd gen a real ominous look to it whichll make it look bad ass. plus you can put whatever color interior in the car that you want. theyll all flow good with the dark gray. red + gun metal gray. mmmmmmm yummy

Black and silver interior would look good too. I'm going to do a hybrid 3rd gen + 4th gen interior. :D

nice. i love my 4th gen interior. everythings just right for me. it feels good and its all within reach. it makes me feel like im inside a glove. might sound weird but its true. if you go racing stripes they gotta be full. from the bumper to over the roof to the rear bumper. allt he way back. and fat. theyd look sharp

I love the thirdgen interior. I like how it dates the car. Everything from teh suicide dash to the lack of cup holders to the goofy angled plastic panels and torx bolts everywhere... I love it. Just gives it tons of character...

The only thing I'd ditch is the seats. 4th gen seats are awesome. I especially love the third gen dashpad look, and the 4th gen console is very cool, but I just dont think it fits the car as a whole very well.

I'll be getting a '93-96 Firebird console, I just love it. 4th gen seats are quite awsome--especially in leather.

Here's an interior timeline of sorts. I've 90% finished the prepping job for the vinyl flooring which includes spraying some sound/vibration deadening stuff which actually worked. I still may get some black or grey carpet. I don't know yet.

Older --> Old --> New

*blinks afew times* why is there a ford sticker in the back of the newest picture ? Sacrelige!

I work for Ford and I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan. :p

:D