1990 Volvo 740 GLE purchase

That American Girl

Car(s)
None, right now. Bye Bye Mustang. :-(
Hey all, long time no see! I need some advice on a car I'm thinking of buying for my son...

A friend is selling their 1990 Volvo 740 GLE. Since I'm a friend, he says he'll sell it for $700.

It has 215,000 miles on it and only one small dent on the passenger side door. Don't see any rust, and he's had it for about 5 years.

Starts right up and runs smooth, shifts well and I didn't see any leaks. He says it's been 'taken care of' and has a few receipts for oil changes.

Anything I should have a really good peek at?

Last edited:
Hey all, long time no see! I need some advice on a car I'm thinking of buying for my son...

A friend is selling their 1990 Volvo 740 GLE. Since I'm a friend, he says he'll sell it for $700.

It has 215,000 miles on it and only one small dent on the passenger side door. Don't see any rust, and he's had it for about 5 years.

Starts right up and runs smooth, shifts well and I didn't see any leaks. He says it's been 'taken care of' and has a few receipts for oil changes.

Anything I should have a really good peek at?

Go for it, I love my 960! All the info you need: http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/740-760-780/volvo-740-760-buyers-guide/

tumblr_mejdseqM4m1qf1116o1_1280.jpg

For that money, I wouldn't worry about a thing. And it's got tons of blocky character. They're still doing daily duty here.

So Jelly!!

Past '87 they're galvanized, so technically they shouldn't have rust trouble. But age wears on a car, my '93 240 has started rusting.

The B230F engine which i assume it's got, is pretty bulletproof, but there are two common troubles. There's a sensor that counts the revs of the cam i think, has some tendencies of stopping to work. It's like a $10 part.
There's also a fuelpump relay that is under the dash that can stop working, but another $10 part, easy to swap.

The hardest fix on an old Volvo, is the heater can stop working... and those are hidden deep behind the dash, a bit fiddly to change.

The hardest fix on an old Volvo, is the heater can stop working... and those are hidden deep behind the dash, a bit fiddly to change.

No biggie. Here is the workaround:

RTR2XJR8.jpg

pb-120209-volvo-woodburning-stove-02.photoblog900.jpg