1991 Dodge Dakota Beatertruck

Spectre is looking more and more like he's right. Dammit. I tore the PISS out of the transmission today - and there's a mysterious low oil pressure condition.

As you might guess, I've gone and done some stupid shit with it. You see, my father and I are in the early stages of converting a shed to a garage/shop. Before we did any serious work to the shed, though, there's this dead oak tree that's constantly trying to fall on the thing.

We've used a technique to bring trees down in a controlled manner by applying tension to the trunk with some chains and ropesand the truck before - and then with some careful 4WD work, dragging the whole damned tree to a more convenient place to cut up. This tree, however, is far and away the biggest one we've ever tried.

So we rigged it with chain - no silly light duty rope here.

And some ultra-heavy-duty fasteners between chain segments

Unfortunately, despite early indications and tests indicating that the tree is MAD FLEXIBLE and trying to fall apart, it just didn't want to come over, so we had to apply some very, very safe, OSHA-approved techniques to weaken the tree.

The tree, however, was being a TOTAL PRICK about things. I could creep the truck forward about 3 inches before a combination of wet ground and the bastard tree lifting the rear end up would spring me back - which quickly led to.... Well:

At all four corners.

After sledging some old shelves under the tires as a friction surface, I was able to get a WHOLE FOOT of forward movement with no backpull. Hell yes! Now we're getting places. Some more chainsaw madness ensued. Suddenly, there's a massive crack. I apply MOAR POWER - but the tree has other ideas. The entire truck is dragged backwards nearly 10 feet. The tree smashes directly into the shed. It impacts the roof and.... Uh, rolls off. Something snags on something and the rear end of the truck gets punted up in the air a foot or two before the chain does this:

It slackened enough for the hook to come undone, and then ripped the chain and hook back through the bumper. It's totally trashed now. Oddly, the one part of the operation that should have been a total writeoff wasn't:

I know it LOOKS like a glancing blow in that picture, but that's after the tree rolled off the roof. The upper half of the tree actually snapped off and slid down the other side. It hit dead center and only mildly inconvenienced the corrugated tin. The underlying structure is intact.
Whoever built that shed knew what they were doing.

Whoever decided to build a truck bumper out of chrome-plated rust, however, didn't.

Last edited:
Kiled the tree, almost killed the shed and the truck in a very spectacular fashion.

Trophy unlocked! Cowboy's seal of approval granted!

That's something I would do, which is made worse by the fact I do not have a truck.
I should probably have a truck.

I'm probably going to sound very stupid now, but I don't see a chainsaw being used in the process of tackling with the tree?

There's a chainsaw in there. Third pic.

So today I went to move the damned wood. Was backing up to the wood shed and all of a sudden POP, HISS, DAMMIT.

This happened:

Looking for a serviceable pair of used 235/75-15 offroad tires now.

Pull the tires/wheels off a Grand Cherokee. I'm pretty sure they are the same size and if you can get all 4 in decent shape most GC's came with all terrain tires and I see people selling stock sets all the time.

I'm actually looking for some nice mud tread tires. It turns out that I had two sets of tires on the truck - a set of Cooper mud tires, and a set of Goodyears all terrains. I hadn't noticed before because when I remounted them after the up-on-blocks period, I ended up with them split between the two sides instead of front/rear. Oops.

Of course, now I have a pair of Cooper mudders, a single Goodyear all terrain and a badly rotted Circa-1991 Michelin All Season that's spent its entire life bolted to the underside of the bed.

Pull the tires/wheels off a Grand Cherokee. I'm pretty sure they are the same size and if you can get all 4 in decent shape most GC's came with all terrain tires and I see people selling stock sets all the time.

Yup, '93-'98 Grand Cherokee wheels will work, as will any year YJ, TJ, or XJ Cherokee wheels.

Funny you mention that, I have a nice set of ZJ wheels and AT tires I keep meaning to sell, too bad EyeMWing is in the States! :lol:

So the materials for my replacement bumper have materialized.

I now have in my possession a 1x4x6ft and a .75x3x6ft piece of medium carbon steel. Stainless was considered, but none of the pieces were short enough to fit in the Focus.

Total cost: $0.

Now, uh, I need to borrow somebody's welder. .... Can you even weld 1 inch plate?

Going to add this to restore towing capability (also, some tow hooks)
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...0-lb-capacity-step-bumper-receiver-67158.html

Last edited:
A couple updates. A new bumper has been fitted (no pics because my camera has shat out) and I finally figured out what the hell was wrong with the god damned brake lights. ... The fuse was missing. A new deep cycle battery is also going in later tonight.

That leaves the following roadworthiness issues:
- Stuck e-brake cable
- Squishy power brakes

The following add-on equipment to be installed:
- Winch wiring

And the following general shitiness issues:
- Godawful shit transmission (considering a manual conversion)
- Leaky-assed window
- Screwed up paint
- Leaky power steering

Last edited:
Truck is wearing new shoes now. Main brakes now function, except that the booster is screwed up in such a way that they're overboosted, resulting in no pedal feel whatsoever (but it still stops, so it's good). E-brake cable is on order. P/S pump is on order.

The transmission itself seems to have stopped weeping fluid (yes, it's still full) and doesn't protest D->R, R->D and D->P shifts nearly as often anymore (it used to do it every single time. Now it does it maybe one in 50) . The T-case, however, is leaking from every oriface and both output shaft bearings are shot). I'll be bolting up the skid plate to squeak that through inspection.

I also have a 12,000lb Mile Marker winch that I got for free with the purchase of my new tires. It's an older model, and needs a bit of control box work which I'll be excusing by relocating the control box to underhood, adding cab control,and grille-mounting the remote socket. I'll be needing to fabricate a whole new from-scratch plate-and-tube front bumper for that. But that goes on after inspection and a lot of road testing to see just how much radiator I can block.

this thread is great. had a friend in highschool that had a 93 dakota in bright neon green with purple swoopy decals on the side. it was a piece of shit but a rather determined truck.

There is something pure and elegantly American about bringing a shit truck back to life.

mad respect. keep at it good sir.

The elusive Dodge Dakota in its natural habitat (not taking up important and valuable space in the driveway which would otherwise be occupied by haphazardly scattered concrete blocks, bricks and wheel chocks)
https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eyemwing/2011/07/06/truck1.jpg

I think I need to give it a rattlecan OD paintjob at some point. Either that or rattlecan black.

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eyemwing/2011/07/06/truck2.jpg
Its normal complement of top-up fluids. Two quarts of ATF, a bit of gear oil, what's left of a bottle of brake fluid, and a quart of PS fluid. The inside of the truck constantly smells like oil and mildew.

Also, tow straps and chains for doing unspeakable and marginally unsafe things.

Last edited:
Parking brakes: 100% OK. Stupid fancy aftermarket cable.

Remaining defects:
1) Parking brake warning light does not come on. Only showing 3v at the switch. Possible bulb failure. Instrument cluster must come out for further investigation.
2) T-case fluid drain and fill. 1.25 quarts of Dexron.

Going to attempt both tomorrow afternoon.

Road legality is within my grasp!

Hey, the most I have to spend from now to legality is $600. A couple bucks for some ATF and a lightbulb, $80 for inspection, $500 worst case for emissions (if you spend $500 trying to fix it, you automagically get a waiver - but a universal cat is like $50, a new air pump is $75, and all the miscelleneous bullshit emissions gear is another $50 or so there's no friggin' way it'd cost that much)

I'm referring to the constant repairs the Dakota will need to stay on the road. :p :mrgreen:

You're kidding, right? Once it's past inspection, there are no more (non-emissions) inspections - so only things that critically impair drivability will get fixed. Rear suspension is due a replacement/uprating involving either coilovers or helper springs. Trans, t-case and rear end will get uprated when they give up, front bumper is due a custom replacement. Other than that... Meh, whatever.

Seeing this thread makes me miss my now sold 91 Dakota, but also makes me happy I sold it as it was getting to the point where multiple little issues started appearing, and within a few years of regular use without constant reapir would probably get to the point where yours is at. That said I'm still wanting a truck but I'll probably go find a old F-150 or F-250, the only Dodge truck (sorry Fiat, RAM) I would buy now is a new or still under warrenty one.