2576339843_74be9db7da_o.jpg

2576339921_f09b752ee4_o.jpg

2576339991_cfd0bef0e6_o.jpg

2577170378_c38b847cee_o.jpg

2576340125_7365f56b44_o.jpg

2577170526_a2b472f9aa_o.jpg

2576340281_3cde9ce886_o.jpg

And not a single GM car among them! jetsetter, are you going soft? :-o

So the Celica and the 240SX were both lacking in the engine department, saddled with a Camry and a truck engine, respectively, leaving their better engines at home in Japan. Meanwhile, Honda put its best engines in the Integra and Prelude. If Honda can be congratulated on anything, it's that out of the big Japanese makers, it's screwed the American market the least in terms of engine choices.

Wow interesting article. Thanks jet. It's a wonder why they didn't include the Mitsubishi Eclipse, being that it is essentially the same car as the Eagle.

Ironically, of that group the 240SX is the one most likely to still be running, followed by the Toyota and the Hondas.

The rest are usually all dead.

And now the Impulse is dead, the Integra is dead, the 240SX is dead, the Talon is dead, the Corrado is dead, the Celica is dead, the Probe is dead, and the Prelude is dead.

So what do we have in the way of sub-20k sports cars? The tC, the Tiburon, the 1972 Triumph TR6...

I find it quite funny that the prices of these cars aren't really off what they are now 16 years later. $16k-20k, that's pretty much where these types of cars are today in terms of price. I have this C&D somewhere in my old collection--fun to read it again this many years later.

And not a single GM car among them! jetsetter, are you going soft? :-o

So the Celica and the 240SX were both lacking in the engine department, saddled with a Camry and a truck engine, respectively, leaving their better engines at home in Japan. Meanwhile, Honda put its best engines in the Integra and Prelude. If Honda can be congratulated on anything, it's that out of the big Japanese makers, it's screwed the American market the least in terms of engine choices.

Isuzu has had ties with GM for a while. Several Isuzu's were rebadged GM vehicles and a few different GM vehicles were rebagded Isuzu's.

I have a bunch of Car & Driver's from the 90's. I should scan some.

Isuzu has had ties with GM for a while. Several Isuzu's were rebadged GM vehicles and a few different GM vehicles were rebagded Isuzu's.

Yeah, I remember the later Geo Storm being a rebadged Impulse. This time around though the Impulse was a "native" design, so it doesn't quite count as GM. My shock and surprise still stands.

I actually remember reading this article! Good find! :thumbup:

Yeah, I remember the later Geo Storm being a rebadged Impulse. This time around though the Impulse was a "native" design, so it doesn't quite count as GM. My shock and surprise still stands.

I actually used to thought GM owns Isuzu~?:?

That Isuzu was the best looking damnit. 240's and Preludes are really the only ones that are still running these days. Though 240's are just basically what you drift cuz you don't feel bad crashing them into dividers :)

That Isuzu was the best looking damnit. 240's and Preludes are really the only ones that are still running these days. Though 240's are just basically what you drift cuz you don't feel bad crashing them into dividers :)

Or because they'd ALREADY been crashed and you bought it real cheap ;)

I'm rather surprised as i've always heard that Talons/Eclipses are absolute pigs to drive. Maybe its just the way they age?