Ownership Verified: 1994 Citroën XM

Not much has happened here unfortunately. I put the car back together without fixing anything and moved to another location for the winter. I'll try to get some work done on it during the winter, but there's just so much else going on now so no promises.. I did enjoy the drive despite all the faults tho. I forgot how comfy the car is after only driving the Mondeo for two months.

Last summer I decided it was time to make a painful decision and accept that some projects just don't make it...

...but the XM was not one of those (however my E32 750i project was parted and the shell scrapped).
oYmq6fA.jpg

Did the necessary repairs last summer and then moved the XM to a new place for storage, where I will continue fixing it up. I was gonna start Sunday driving it this summer, but then came COVID as well as a new joint venture project car (2 cars actually), so the XM may have to wait, again. Anyway, this was accomplished last summer:
  • Timing belt, tensioner and water pump replaced
  • Both driveshafts overhauled (new outer joints and new boot kits for the inner joints + new support bearing)
  • Engine and transmission oils changed
  • Oxygen sensor changed
  • Front discs and pads changed
  • Front speakers changed
  • Interior swap completed
That about covers it. Still remaining are:
  • Locate and fix hydraulic fluid leak(s)
  • Overhaul hydraulic pump. Took it off and cleaned it. Found it to be slightly worn but as dismantling and fixing it proved too challenging and was unable to locate a working replacement on the cheap, decided to put the old pump back on.
  • Replace/overhaul steering rack. Works for the time being but leaks oil and is in a sorry state in general.
  • Replace rear brake discs and pads
  • Replace handbrake cables
  • Locate and fix new noise from somewhere in the front suspension, suspect wheel bearings.
  • Attempt to fix wiper linkage (nearly seized AGAIN after 5 years of inactivity), or find better replacement part.
  • Good allround detailing. Does the offer still stand @Posambique? :)
Pics:
X7PirRx.jpg

ImI3ZD5.jpg

M3vB8mW.jpg

TvoviTb.jpg

FLOLDjk.jpg

THOSE SEATS.

That car is just awesome, especially the interior. It's like our BX, just larger and more comfortable. I'm sure it's going to be amazing once it's finished.

Good to see it's still alive and kicking!

Set to work on the to-do -list last weekend. Btw, the list in the previous post was not complete, there is actually much more to do. Anyway, here's what I did last weekend:

• Located at least one hydraulic fluid leak at the main hydraulic pressure accumulator. Currently sourcing a rebuild kit. There are probably leaks elsewhere too, but it's hard to say where with everything being oily, so it's best to tackle these one part at a time.
  • Front suspension noise turned out to be an easy fix. Jacked up the car, shook the front wheel and found a lot of play. So much in fact, that it couldn't be a wheel bearing. Took the hub cap off and found wheel bolts less than finger tight, same thing on the other side. Oops.. Apparently I moved the car in such a hurry last summer that I forgot to tighten the bolts up after lowering the car on the ground. Curiously there was no noise or weirdness while driving over 100 km with loose wheel bolts. Bullet dodged!
  • I noticed already in 2015 that the exhaust rear silencer was quite rusty and will need replacement. As the exhaust had turned quite loud lately, I figured that the silencer had finally rusted through. Got under the car, but luckily this too was just a matter of tightening up a few exhaust clamps. Yet another easy fix!
  • While the rear end was jacked up, I went ahead and replaced the rear discs and pads which I had ordered last year. The old ones weren't in too bad shape, but at least now I have new pads and discs all round.
  • Lubricated the suspension height control mechanism from underneath the car. Now the height control lever inside the car moves effortlessly. I really should have done this earlier, before the brittle plastic lever snapped off in my hand. The lever was never sold as a separate spare part, so I'll have to think of some other solution like maybe 3D-printing a new one or just welding a metal extension on to the current stub.
I didn't have any clear objective for this day and it was only after completing these repairs that I realized that the car is now basically ready to attempt an MOT (not sure if it'll pass, I've no clue about the exhaust emissions). However, I don't think I'll do that quite yet, because I don't plan to drive it much this year. Instead I think I'll just continue fixing it up for a while more and wait for a better time before taking it back on the road. After all, there's still lots to do. Here's an updated to-do -list.:
  • Locate and fix all hydraulic fluid leaks.
  • Replace/rebuild hydraulic pump.
  • Replace/rebuild steering rack.
  • Replace handbrake cables
  • Attempt to fix wiper linkage (nearly seized AGAIN after 5 years of inactivity), or find better replacement part.
  • Get 4 new summer tires fitted, current ones are from 2008 and are showing their age.
  • Get a new battery.
  • Fit new remote locking system.
  • Have strut tops rebuilt abroad.
  • Eventually replace both rear exhaust silencers.
  • And a whole bunch of lesser stuff...

And some pics of course:

The ugly side. Rear axle has some surface rust, but the body is still as good as 5 years ago.
1i78q17.jpg

Needs new rubber.
8JZJ0ma.jpg

Height control lever, or what's left of it.
n5iNuiT.jpg

Old rear discs.
julQLpd.jpg

And just to end on a positive note, here's a shiny new part.
7nAsTFd.jpg

I have yet to even be inside an XM. I would love to drive a sorted one some time. And a DS, too. And a CX.

I have yet to even be inside an XM. I would love to drive a sorted one some time. And a DS, too. And a CX.
We'll do something about that if I ever make it up to your neck of the woods in this car.

We'll do something about that if I ever make it up to your neck of the woods in this car.

Yes, please. You know where I live, just give me a holler on any of the platforms. Maybe a meet with Filip? :D

Yes, please. You know where I live, just give me a holler on any of the platforms. Maybe a meet with Filip? :D
Definitely. Next year at the earliest though, I doubt this car is gonna see much road this year because of various reasons. Now hopefully I won't sell this car before that. I really don't want to sell it and keeping it isn't costing me any money at the moment, but on the other hand I don't have much use for it either and the money could be spent buying something that would actually get used. It's just sitting like it's done for the last 5 years and if I don't get it back into indoor storage soon, I might as well just pass it on the next enthusiast rather than let it rust apart outside.