Someone Else's Problem: 1994 Land Rover Discovery ES

Congratulations! You, sir, win a medal!

Can I have another, look what I ended up buying. :lol:

2012-01-13 07.40.17_S1024.jpg

Last edited:
Is that NOS?

Can I have another, look what I ended up buying. :lol:

IMAG0115.jpg

I salute you, dear sir. For you are the bravest, most optimistical person I had the honour to meet.

Godspeed.

Is that NOS?

It could be, but there's no shortage of them. It says 'Trademarks licensed from Lucas Industries Ltd. UK' on the back, so maybe it's made by one of the companies that bought Lucas. :dunno:

I'll fit it tomorrow and see if it manages to vapourise any copper within a 3 metre radius.

More updates, this time on the centre differential lock.

I took the centre console apart last night, then drilled out the rivets holding down the rubber cover. This is as far as I got last time, I didn't want to start drilling before. With the cover pulled out of the way I could get to the selector housing on the top of the gearbox. After removing 4 bolts and disconnecting the hi/lo splined connector the housing came off and I could and find my BFH.

As you may know, the problem with this is that it's seized. Very seized, through lack of use. The BFH and plenty of WD40 soon got it moving though in one direction. However, there are 2 other problems that I wasn't expecting.

As you can see in the photo below, there is a loose circlip. that circlip should be holding the plastic part you see in the second photo into the hole in the shaft. However the bottom lip has broken off, and you can see the broken bits in the third photo.

DSC_0749_1_S.jpg

DSC_0751_1_S.jpg

DSC_0755_1_S.jpg

So, that's why the lever is very floppy. Next problem, the BFH freed up the shaft in one direction but ideally I need to remove the end cover to give it a belt from the other side. However, this is what I see on the other end:

DSC_0752_1_S.jpg

I don't want to remove those screws (which might need an impact driver anyway) because it's bound to break apart.

A new end cap and plastic seat have been added to my shopping list for this week, along with a pair of jate rings to fit to the front for recovery. I'm planning to take it off roading again next weekend. :)

Edit: Oh and that bulb was fitted yesterday too. Everyone survived, for now.

Last edited:
Edit: Oh and that bulb was fitted yesterday too. Everyone survived, for now.

I'll bring a fire extinguisher to Whaddon, just in case. :p

Think bigger:

Fire-Truck-Pictures.jpg

I'd say one or two of these:

manchester.jpg

We are talking about Lucas electrics, remember.

I'm thinking that putting the fire out with explosives might be a good idea now because at the risk of more piss taking I'm going to admit that something else has broken now.

I unlocked the drivers door yesterday, got in, drove home, got out, put the key in and tried to lock the doors. But nothing happened. There was (and is) no resistance when turning the key. After a few suggestions I removed the door card with a big screwdriver and saw this:

2012-01-18 19.43.00_S1024.jpg

Yep, the plastic cam that turns with the lock barrel is broken. Brilliant. You know what's better? You can't buy them on their own, you have to buy a new lock barrel.

I'm learning the differences between old and 'new' Land Rovers. The old ones don't break because they don't have as many plastic parts.

Last edited:
I'm learning the differences between old and 'new' Land Rovers. The old ones don't break because they don't have as many plastic parts.

I know what you're thinking and the answer is "You'll have to pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands!". :p Especially now that the locker in installed.

I know what you're thinking and the answer is "You'll have to pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands!". :p Especially now that the locker in installed.

:lol: Fortunately I have a workaround for the door issue and have the replacement parts for the diff lock.

The workaround is thus: Get out of drivers door, close door. Walk around to passenger door, open and reach across to lock drivers door from the inside, triggering the central locking and locking all doors including the passenger one you have open. Pull up the little lock handle on the passenger door and shut it. Lock passenger door from outside. All doors are now locked. To open, reverse the process.

Notice that I don't just close the passenger door once it is locked, because there's always a chance that I may have put my keys down inside. :lol:

I see why it is the luxury model. :p

It seems Snowaggedeon has take its toll on mine. The rear wiper no longer works again. I'm not hearing anything from the motor which means it either fried or there is an electrical problem.

:lol: Fortunately I have a workaround for the door issue and have the replacement parts for the diff lock.

The workaround is thus: Get out of drivers door, close door. Walk around to passenger door, open and reach across to lock drivers door from the inside, triggering the central locking and locking all doors including the passenger one you have open. Pull up the little lock handle on the passenger door and shut it. Lock passenger door from outside. All doors are now locked. To open, reverse the process.

Notice that I don't just close the passenger door once it is locked, because there's always a chance that I may have put my keys down inside. :lol:

Hell, that's more complicated than loading music onto an apple product :p

Last edited:
I went out playing today, here's the aftermath before I washed it:

DSC_0809_1_S.jpg

I met up with KaJuN and about 40 other people at an off road site near Milton Keynes for some muddy action. Results are filthy exterior, a filthy interior (from climbing out of the window, more on that later) and an unhappy electric window (that happened after I had finished off roading).

I got the diff lock fixed yesterday (Saturday) ready for today and it was working very nicely. :)

Last edited:
Alright since you're not updating this thread and leaving everyone on a cliffhanger, here are some shots of yours that I got. :p

Alright since you're not updating this thread and leaving everyone on a cliffhanger

I didn't realise I was but those are great shots. :)

I took the door car off tonight to clean it, apparently the electric window mechanism managed to bend itself into an interesting shape, I'll try and get a photo at some point.

Today I got stuck in to a service, changing the oil plus the oil/air/fuel filters. The oil had been changed about 4 weeks ago but I only used a cheap filter and cheap oil. The oil did its job, after only 4 weeks it was quite black.

On went a more expensive OEM filter and I filled it up with Castrol Magnatec. The fuel filter was removed and the new filter filled with some Diesel Magic injector cleaner. I had used a 50ml Redex cleaner in it but when compared to this (a much bigger bottle made to treat only 60 litres of fuel) it's no wonder I didn't notice a difference. I ran around to run this stuff through the engine and then changed the air filter.

There is certainly a difference, the engine sounds much more like a modern diesel now and less like a tractor. I can't say it has affected the performance but time will tell. I also didn't see any smoke but we'll see about that next time I drive it, when the engine is cold.

Well Yesterday (Saturday) I got stuck in to removing the tow bar. Apparently I didn't explain why this is needed but it's the reason why I had to climb out of the window at the last off road site I visited. Me and KaJuN were both watching some trucks tackling a mud run with varying degrees of success, from making it look dead easy to having to be dragged out. We decided it was worth trying, how hard could it be?

He went first in the Series and with a gear change and a run up it got over easily. My turn next, the tyres and power should make light work of this...

Unfortunately the tow bar decided to dig in a I was going nowhere. I couldn't open the door because of a bank on the right so I had to roll down the electric window (which was thankfully still working then) and climb out. Cut a long story short digging failed and I had to be dragged out by a very big Defender.

So, the tow bar had to go. Cut another long story short, it had to be cut up with a grinder because none of the 6 fixing bolts would undo. To even get this far we had to remove the mud that was filling the tow bar, this is how much came off:

DSC_0957_1_S.jpg

Now, two of the bolts to be cut were the ones that hold the tow bar supports on to the chassis. These have obviously been on for 17 years as this is a factory fitted tow kit and they have become part of the chassis. A large breaker bar snapped the heads off and the other side was cut, so now I'm left with this:

DSC_0962_1_S.jpg

This is a problem, as I need to get a jate ring bolt through there. The HSS drills I have wouldn't touch it so I'm going to have a think and work out the best plan of attack.

Anyway it snowed yesterday so I was out playing. The Disco looks great with a white backdrop.

DSC_0993_1_S.jpg

DSC_0999_1_S.jpg

DSC_1008_1_S.jpg

Obviously I had no problem getting around, the low end torque of this engine meant I could pull away at idle and it would cruise along in 3rd at 15-20mph.

Last edited: