Someone Else's Problem: 1994 Land Rover Discovery ES

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
DSC_0101_1_S.jpg

Yes you think I'd learn, but that's never going to happen.

Land Rover Discovery Tdi ES (very important). New things in this that I didn't have in the Series 3:

• Leather seats!
  • Adjustable seats!
  • Forward facing seating for 5!
  • Plus 2 fold down seats in the back!
  • Driver and passenger airbags!
  • A factory alarm!
  • Plus an aftermarket one!
  • Central Locking!
  • That works with a remote too! (from about 6 inches away)
  • Dual heater controls!
  • A fan with more than one setting!
  • An engine that will do more than 20mpg!
  • A rev counter!
  • Soundproofing!
  • Electric windows!
  • Plus 2 electric sunroofs!
  • A CD player that's actually supposed to be there!
  • Plus a 6 CD changer from the original stereo! With CDs in it! (although it isn't connected to the aftermarket stereo)
One thing it doesn't have currently that the Series had though is a speedometer, that needs looking at. Looking at the MOT sheets it hasn't worked for years.

Anyway it needs tidying, there are primed patches here and there and one little hole. I've now bought some leather cream and some cleaner for the interior so I'll see what difference they make, but that's nothing I can't manage. It drives really well for it's age, the only niggle is sometimes the change from 2nd to 3rd isn't very smooth, but this is the first time I've driven it so no doubt it'll be fine once I get used to it.

Photos:

DSC_0103_1_S.jpg

DSC_0105_1_S.jpg

DSC_0107_1_S.jpg

DSC_0108_1_S.jpg

DSC_0119_1_S.jpg

DSC_0121_1_S.jpg

DSC_0114_1_S.jpg

DSC_0117_1_S.jpg

Last edited:
It is more full featured than mine. :p Now go run over some zombies.

Looks good. Interior is a bit grey and dingy though :p

On a different but similar note, how much are you willing to accept for the Series 3? If it's a good price i'll maybe offer something...

Looks good. Interior is a bit grey and dingy though :p

On a different but similar note, how much are you willing to accept for the Series 3? If it's a good price i'll maybe offer something...

Yeah it needs some cleaning, that's my job for tomorrow. I've got some Autoglym foam stuff, some leather cream and a load of old 1001 carpet cleaner so we'll see what happens. :D

I'm asking for ?1750 for the Series, would take a bit less but it's already not much more than I paid for it. It'll need some welding in the next year.

Hmm... ?1750 sound good. Sadly I think it's a bit out of my budget at the mo. Welding if you don't know what to do sounds like it can get expensive too. Gonna have to get saving a bit for a car.

:thumbsup: Love it! A definite great car to move on from the Series. Also definitely has more chance of getting up my drive :lol:

Needs a new headlining though; not that hard a job it must be said. And even though it needs a bit of work its all good fun and gets you to know that you put your bit into the car.

Saggy headlining :(

Other than that, pretty awesome. I bet something that well equipped will be much, much more livable than the Series.

"They all do that sir"

I'll get it sorted at some point. I always forget about it when I drive it because it doesn't sag anywhere near enough to touch my head. I'd be tempted to just cut it and glue inside, I really don't care that much. :D

You could just use some strategically placed drawing pins. Just don't do what many people seem to do and attack the roof with a staple gun. I've been looking at a few cheap old Falcons for a second car and the number of people who's idea of fixing saggy headlining is to go mental with hundreds of randomly placed staples is unbelievable. :lol:

"They all do that sir"

I'll get it sorted at some point. I always forget about it when I drive it because it doesn't sag anywhere near enough to touch my head. I'd be tempted to just cut it and glue inside, I really don't care that much. :D

The headliner in mine is hanging a bit too, it's nice having a high roof. :p

That's pretty cool and I like how unfussy the interior is even in that high trim level.

Matt, rickhamilton likes it.

www.autotrader.co.uk and quick!

What? :p I think it's refreshingly honest. Just look at how the seat is mounted to the floor: in most anything else it competed with, it would be shrouded in finely grained, low luster plastic and possibly festooned with seat buttons. On that, at least from appearances, its just a basic metal platform.

Every offroader that is not a modern-style SUV is awesome. And the Land Rover is in the awesome class of awesome. Nice ride, Matt.