Someone Else's Problem: 1994 Land Rover Discovery ES

I'll get it sorted at some point. I always forget about it when I drive it because it doesn't sag anywhere near enough to touch my head.

Even so it really does make the inside a million times better when its done. But remember not to pay too much; i.e. do it yourself :lol: I did the Saab for ?35 of materials and 6 hours of my time. Its good fun, too :p

I love the buttons behind the steering wheel. They are almost impossible to see.

I love the buttons behind the steering wheel. They are almost impossible to see.

They are, fortunately they're not needed very often.

I've managed to get some of the little electronic issues sorted today, now I have a working speedo and I know that I need a new reverse light switch. I still don't have any dashboard illumination but I'll probably be taking the dash apart to sort it this week.

Check if it is the dimmer switch (if there is one). Mine blacked out my dash completely.

I had a look in the manual and to my surprise there's a seciton about dimmer switches in there, I had no idea they fitted them and had never looked there (something else that's totally obscured by the steering wheel).

Unfortunately they didn't fit one to mine, there's just a blanking plate. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

Unfortunately they didn't fit one to mine, there's just a blanking plate.

You need to go up a trim level to get one of those. :p

Odd...on the cheapest of cheap cars here there's a instrument panel dimmer switch.

Sad to see the series go, but hey, this will seemingly suit your needs more.

Lookin' good!

love that model Disco

Haha, if the posh one doesn't have a dimmer, is it only available on some super-luxury Saudi edition? :p

ES is supposed to be the top model, above Tdi, GS and XS, so I've been told anyway. No I don't know why they're in that strange order either. :lol:

They didn't fit front fog lights to mine either, although the wiring is there. Strange.

Last edited:
I've got the day off work tomorrow so I'll be investigating that blanking plate, plus I should get some more cleaning done inside.

Also I'm pleased to say that I've found that another problem was never actually a problem, the rear wiper works perfectly. You just have to close the doors first, as the manual says. :unsure:

I'm pleased to say that the electrical gremlins are now essentially fixed. The dead instrument lighting was caused by a blowing fuse, and for most of this week I've been unplugging different components and trying again to no avail (I've blown at least 10 10A fuses) but today I decided to take the whole dash apart to look for the problem. I didn't find anything but the problem just went away. I have very sore fingers though from all the little plastic clips that hold it together, not a job I'm planning on doing again any time soon.

I just need to get some bulbs now because a few have blown and I'll be sorted. Tomorrow's jobs are to adjust the reverse light switch so that it stays on when I'm in reverse, shampoo the carpets and get some 'back to black' on the plastic bumper caps.

I also have it booked in for a cambelt change next week, the belt is the weakest part on this engine and I have no idea when it was last changed (should be changed at 60k mile intervals). It's not a cheap thing but it's cheaper than a new engine.

The Diesels are belt driven? That's lame. Should have saved the money and gotten a V8. :p

The Diesels are belt driven? That's lame. Should have saved the money and gotten a V8. :p

Yep they are, presumably because they have twin overhead cams. I did think about V8s but the fuel consumption would be worse than the Series, that's half the reason I bought the Disco. :)

Yep they are, presumably because they have twin overhead cams. I did think about V8s but the fuel consumption would be worse than the Series, that's half the reason I bought the Disco. :)

Bah, but with a V8 you would be able to worry about liner slippage. :p

Nice ride! It makes me miss my old Disco. :cry: And paint those rear bumper end caps! That faded gray color drove me crazy until I attacked it with the spray cans. I don't know if you're already familiar with it but DiscoWeb has a very extensive and helpful repair forum. I used info from that site to fix everything from windows to the fan blower to that same dashboard light issue you had.

Also I'm more tempted than I should be to buy your old Series. Mostly because I've always wanted one and partly because a coworker of mine here also has one and it would be awesome going on off roading murdering trips. And I don't think the MG will be all that good once the snow starts falling here soon.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that it would be quite easy to bring the Series back to the US with me in a few years. Now I'm very tempted!

Last edited:
EDIT: It just dawned on me that it would be quite easy to bring the Series back to the US with me in a few years. Now I'm very tempted!

I approve of that use of my tax dollars. :p