drove the M3 to work in downtown Seattle this afternoon. Holy cow the ride is so much better. It's a huge improvement. The car actually feels like it has suspension now.. before it felt like it was rock hard, sometimes. The tires also feel like they are contacting the road a little better in turns, even though the camber & toe is similar to what it was before. I chock this up to an improvement in the damper's movement.
It'll probably be 2014 when the car is on track again.. but I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the Bilstein Sports are like.
Did a lot of work yesterday.. replaced window trim, the driver's door seal, the hood cowl, and reinstalled some things I've had removed since the accident. I cleaned the car this morning.. best it's looked yet
don't know.. it cost me a lot of money and kept me from putting the car on track this summer so I could learn it better, and the car still isn't back to where it was (needs an underpanel still, and a better bumper). It's taken this long (about 6 months) to get the car back to this point
I received a printout of some dyno runs performed on the car when I bought it. I always thought that the peak numbers were a bit low (still do), and I have reproduced situations where the car appears to have a lot less power than it does at other times. So, after I installed the OBD2 mid-pipes and the AA cat-back, I figured a new dyno was in order.
I went back to the same place as the previous owner ran.. and got four pulls in. The peak power ended up being almost exactly the same, though more power is available throughout the lower RPM range now. Now.. I need to figure out why the power seems so low on a dyno. This car should probably be running between 230 - 245hp at the rear wheels. I think that power really does exist, but that there's an issue that results in lower output when starting from lower RPM's like on these pulls.
the car has been mostly sitting for the last year, mostly because I thought a wheel bearing was about to fail. I drive it once or twice a month. I replaced the battery a few months ago.. not very exciting. Last week I took the car into a shop to have the rear bearing replaced.. they replaced it and the sound we were hearing still existed. So they checked the diff fluid and it was full of metal bits. Fun..
so now I have this:
It's a rare US e36 3.38:1 LSD. My stock diff is 3:15:1, so this will be a nice increase in speed. This new one has 85k miles (my car has 197k miles). Hopefully I can get it on in a couple of weeks.