1995 Holden Commodore Acclaim (VS)

Hippo

Car(s)
HR31 Nissan Skyline Coupe, Nissan S13 Silvia
*AUSTRALIAN VIEWERS CAN SKIP THIS INTRO*

Now I know what you're thinking.

"What the hell is a Holden, and what the hell is a Commodore?"

Simple. Holden is a branch of General Motors in Australia. The German equivalent is Opel and the British equivalent is Vauxhall. The "Commodore" is a 4-door Sedan that Holden has manufactured since 1979, with various changes and improvements. Here is mine:

VSFrontU1.png

VSRearU1.png

Picked it up for 2500 AU and threw the new rims/rubber on for 1k. Been a great little car, I've still got a lot planned for it.

Most people here are not too ignorant of Australian cars, which is nice. Looks clean, just don't go putting southern cross stickers on it. I can't remember the last time I saw a VS without them.

what engine is in there?
It would be the GM 3800 V6 in that.

Most people here are not too ignorant of Australian cars, which is nice. Looks clean, just don't go putting southern cross stickers on it. I can't remember the last time I saw a VS without them.

It would be the GM 3800 V6 in that.

Cheers and oh god no, make no mistake that there will be no Unit stickers, Southern Cross stickers or Chevrolet badges here.

The engine is the 3.8l V6 ECOTEC (The updated version of the old Buick 3.8 found in the VN-VR Commodores). I believe that unlike the old engine, the ECOTEC was actually produced in Australia..

People from the US may have seen the older version of this engine in cars like the Pontiac Bonneville, Buick LeSabre and Oldsmobile Tornado.

It's sad when the contemporary V6 version of my truck's V8 produces more power. :( Nice car.

Most people here are not too ignorant of Australian cars, which is nice.
Yeah, I quite like KTM.

What? :p

/Me likey 6-bangers, 2500 AU-$ is a good price for such a big car. :)

I've still got a lot planned for it.
Looks fine as it is.

Where in Adelaide is that? Looks vaguely familiar although with those sort of houses in the background that isnt saying much :p

Last edited:
Looks fine as it is.

Where in Adelaide is that? Looks vaguely familiar although with those sort of houses in the background that isnt saying much :p

I'm about 25 minutes from Adelaide.

nice clean VS. I'd suggest lower, debadge, zaust and youd be fairly well covered. you can pick up exhausts that bolt straight up from ebay, did the same on my VX

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head - throw some tint into that list and you've got exactly what I'm doing to it :D

I'm not one for over the top cars, at least not for my first so I'll be keeping it simple but sweet. My mate's buying a VS Berlina with a 2.5" catback as a daily driver for when he doesn't want to drive his R32 around, and he doesn't want the catback..maybe I'll propose swapsies?

You guys knew I couldn't stay away from this one. :p

The engine is the 3.8l V6 ECOTEC (The updated version of the old Buick 3.8 found in the VN-VR Commodores). I believe that unlike the old engine, the ECOTEC was actually produced in Australia..

People from the US may have seen the older version of this engine in cars like the Pontiac Bonneville, Buick LeSabre and Oldsmobile Tornado.

"May have"? The 3.8 was probably GM's most produced engine behind the small block V8, and they stuffed it into countless cars over here for several decades.

Anyway, what you have there is an L36, also known here as a Series II 3800 which was first released in 95. GM did produce a version of the 3800 in Australia for Holden, but the difference between the Aussie and US version are minor at best. I actually have the Supercharged version of the Series II (L67) in my own car. The L67 is also the power plant for the Final Gear LeMons racer, so you're in good company.

"May have"? The 3.8 was probably GM's most produced engine behind the small block V8, and they stuffed it into countless cars over here for several decades.

I'm not too in tune with the GM vehicles in the US if I'm honest, but I've known for a long time that the 3.8 is a spectacular engine. I've got a friend with a VT Commodore S housing an L67 and he said the supercharger makes quite a difference in terms of throttle response. Never driven one myself.

I've got a friend with a VT Commodore S housing an L67 and he said the supercharger makes quite a difference in terms of throttle response. Never driven one myself.

Indeed it does, it also makes for an incredible sound. Here's a small sample of FGR LeMons GTP on the track last year.

Indeed it does, it also makes for an incredible sound. Here's a small sample of FGR LeMons GTP on the track last year.

Loving the whine, goes great with the deep sound you can achieve from the low-revving 3.8.

And jesus, who's driving that thing? Did that wheel come off at the end?

"little car". Yeah.. very little.. :D

I can get you some pictures comparing it to later model Commodores if you'd like :p

Still, your generation is 4850?5040mm long according to wiki. That upper end is just 3cm away from the latest S-Class or 7-Series, buddy ;).

Loving the whine, goes great with the deep sound you can achieve from the low-revving 3.8.

And jesus, who's driving that thing? Did that wheel come off at the end?

Yes the wheel came off, if you look to the left side of the screen just before the end you'll see it roll away in the distance. But it's not Voodoo's, the driver in the video, fault. The wheel was a crappy aftermarket one we picked up from a junkyard, after an hour it ripped off all the wheel studs and the video is the end result.

Yes the wheel came off, if you look to the left side of the screen just before the end you'll see it roll away in the distance. But it's not Voodoo's, the driver in the video, fault. The wheel was a crappy aftermarket one we picked up from a junkyard, after an hour it ripped off all the wheel studs and the video is the end result.

Believe me, I know the feeling. Just recently I was pulling into a gas station when the back-left wheel came off of the car. Turns out incorrect wheel nuts were used upon fitting. Went for quotes on the damage and the cheapest so far is $2800; which they're paying for.

But the driver seemed to be doing one hell of a job I must say, well done to him.

Still, your generation is 4850?5040mm long according to wiki. That upper end is just 3cm away from the latest S-Class or 7-Series, buddy ;).

You've quoted the dimensions of a VT Commodore, the model after mine; keep in mind that later models were also taller and wider than mine. The VS is also approximately 200kg lighter than the proceeding model. A lot of cars become larger and heavier over time for various reasons (Safety features, condition demands, etc).

I know it's not a "Small Car" so to speak, but compared to the later models in the same range, it is small in comparison. I can still get pictures of it next to a VT if you'd like to see the comparison in the real world :)