Ownership Verified: 1995 Jaguar XJR manual

Where did you see that price for an XJ40 master?

http://www.justjagsuk.com/product_details/-Jaguar-XJ40-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Manual/6339/79493/

The purist/elitist AM fans are publicly more than happy to pay that to support their bespoke machines. The smarter ones that bought DB7s secondhand and know where the parts come from are happy to not pay the stupidly inflated prices for a Jag master cylinder in an Aston box (that was likely made by Wilwood or Girling in the first place).

Ah ha, that's the same part number as the $107 one from SNG Barratt.

FYI, SNG Barratt is second only to Moss Motors and some dealerships in terms of high parts pricing. I suggest Coventry West, JagBits, Motorcars LTD and Terry's Jaguar as better, more economical sources for X300 parts. I would also suggest you occasionally check out the very last Lister dealer in the world, Jaguar Services of Tulsa Oklahoma aka 'Captain Jaguar's Cathouse' (no, really, that's what they sell as on eBay) if they ever get their website back up.

Must be on a per-part basis, as it looks like the have the best price for this master cylinder, and other places don't even have it in their online catalog. SNG has been my favorite ever since they started offering good deals on the coils, plus they're so close to me so they ship quickly. Fair point about cross-referencing; Coventry West is where I got my rebuilt power steering pump so yeah I always check multiple sources.

EDIT: so it looks like that early XJ40 cylinder (CAC6727) won't work out of the box because the reservoir points in the wrong direction, and on teh X300 it'd overlap with the brake master cylinder mount.

Last edited:
Must be on a per-part basis, as it looks like the have the best price for this master cylinder, and other places don't even have it in their online catalog. SNG has been my favorite ever since they started offering good deals on the coils, plus they're so close to me so they ship quickly. Fair point about cross-referencing; Coventry West is where I got my rebuilt power steering pump so yeah I always check multiple sources.

EDIT: so it looks like that early XJ40 cylinder (CAC6727) won't work out of the box because the reservoir points in the wrong direction, and on teh X300 it'd overlap with the brake master cylinder mount.

Actually, I screwed up. That's the RHD master cylinder, so it's mirrored. You'll want the LHD one. I don't have the XJS or XJ40 parts catalog on this computer so I can't go look up the number. LHD clutch master should still be about the same price, though.

It should also be noted that you can use aftermarket Wilwood, AP, etc. master cylinders as the bore size, bolt hole spacing, etc., are actually a standard 'generic' aftermarket size used in racing and custom fab stuff. That can be cheaper sometimes; you just have to find out what your bore diameter is and what the port sizes/threads are on the master. Case in point from the Series III:

s-l1600.jpg

(Yes, the master can be rotated 180 degrees).

Last edited:
For that matter, given that yours is a converted car with supposed Aston parts, you may actually *have* an XJ40 master on it already.
Looking at the master cylinder currently on the car and going by the stamping on the casting, it seems to be an aftermarket piece made by FAG, which is apparently an XJS piece seeing as FAG never did the master cylinder for the X300? This is confusing.

Looking at the master cylinder currently on the car and going by the stamping on the casting, it seems to be an aftermarket piece made by FAG, which is apparently an XJS piece seeing as FAG never did the master cylinder for the X300? This is confusing.

Jaguar didn't just have one supplier and there are multiple aftermarket suppliers for this piece - it's a common aftermarket race pattern as I said.

Oh no doubt, and I've been looking for info on original manufacturers everywhere, but despite long lists of manufacturers including FTE, Hella, Pex, and Textar, FAG isn't among them. I've emailed a few UK-based Jag parts companies as well as SNG Barratt for options; Jag-bits only has some XJS masters, which yet may fit. The XJS and XJ40 master cylinders look very similar from the outside but the parts numbers aren't cross-referenced against each other, which suggests they aren't meant to be interchanged, or is this just an oversight and they are actually the same?

Oh no doubt, and I've been looking for info on original manufacturers everywhere, but despite long lists of manufacturers including FTE, Hella, Pex, and Textar, FAG isn't among them. I've emailed a few UK-based Jag parts companies as well as SNG Barratt for options; Jag-bits only has some XJS masters, which yet may fit. The XJS and XJ40 master cylinders look very similar from the outside but the parts numbers aren't cross-referenced against each other, which suggests they aren't meant to be interchanged, or is this just an oversight and they are actually the same?

I *think* they're actually the same, but I'll check with the dealer tomorrow.

Taking a second look at the XJS piece :
partpics%2FCBC6377%23.JPG

The reservoir sticks out at the wrong angle for my car and gets too close to the hood release:

Looks like that mid-priced XJ40 one is my best option unless the UK parts places I emailed explicitly tell me otherwise.
EDIT:
Just ordered said mid-priced XJ40 piece based on the following leaps of logic

Part # CCC6760 is the correct part but is no longer available.
Part # CBC8825, also not available, was replaced by CCC6760.
However:
Part # CBC7284, currently available from David Manners in the UK, looks exactly the same as CBC8825 and in fact is referenced using the exact same picture.
Only time will tell if this actually works.

Last edited:
7drHiqr.gif

Just got notification that a DHL shipment is on its way with the possibly-compatible XJ40 master cylinder.

Change "possibly-compatible" with "totally compatible".
80-clutchmastercomparison_3159d235527e8c77a7adf2bb0098d78c94a6d0ef.png

So this is what it feels like to have a clutch master that doesn't have busted seals. As you can see the clutch line had to be bent a bit but otherwise it's no biggie.

Gotta love that - and Jaguar's arcane parts numbering system. Good to see it worked out for you.

CBC7284 as currently supplied appears to be a generic aftermarket unit with a thread/fitting adapter. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Do yourself a big favor if you keep the car and have the brake fluid and clutch hydraulic fluid changed out every two years. That will prevent gross moisture buildup and help extend the life of your seals in both systems. It is rare that someone remembers the clutch system needs attention too. :p

Last edited:
Good call; yeah the clutch fluid no longer looks like coffee ground soup so I'm set for now.

How the fuck did I not notice that the wheels were held on with aftermarket conical-seat nuts? GDPO just doesn't let up, even if this is partially my fault for not noticing after a couple years of ownership. Now the wheels are fucked up and the correct factory nuts (which I already had on hand for my winter wheels) need an impact wrench to even seat properly. I might need new wheels.

Twinsies!

It's sad that just about every X300 around (mine included) has visible cosmetic damage.

So the XJR is officially sold...but it's staying in the FG family. More news to come from the happy buyers!

On its way south. Bye from me, but hello to your new home!
l1z18qyghyypze01vgxw.jpg