Ownership Verified: 1996 Daihatsu Midget II (why?!)

abczyx

Car(s)
'06 Freelander 2, '96 Midget II
8O8U8VM.jpg

Behold, the glorious Midget II! Currently prowling the UK in a manner of style and class rarely seen on today's roads.

vSduMsU.jpg

The Midget II's spartan yet stylish interior reflects the singular focus on speed with incredibly functional additions such as the ability to top up windscreen wiper fluid on the go.

MEDbi01.jpg

The seating takes note of, and subsequently ignores, the latest advanced thinking in comfort. The Midget II is the only car in its price range with a heated seat as standard, if admittedly this is due to the engine being directly below it. It eschews the concept of soundproofing to allow the rich 660cc, 31bhp motor to sing into the cabin like no other engine can.

5oQVPQ1.jpg

Another benefit of hearing the engine so clearly is that there is no need for a tachometer. Only the most basic information is provided allowing the driver to fully focus on not hitting the tree that the car is inevitably understeering towards.

E5oGIwP.jpg

Advanced climate control features including an adjustable fan speed and windscreen heating functionality (useless) allows for practicality in all climates, since you can always just open the window.

OXsPj7u.jpg

Fully adjustable air-conditioning allows the driver to select his preferred temperature, from not cold to really not cold.

FIuG5BF.jpg

Despite the Midget's rapid top speed of over 72 mph (slope dependent) Daihatsu have recognised the Midget is not the fastest car in the world and have delivered the latest in in-car entertainment to make your journey (very slightly) more comfortable and enjoyable.

hgMmldD.jpg

Some will tell you this is a single-seater car. Nonsense! The Midget II affords all the luxuries of space the driver has to his or her passenger. The door even bends out of the way for additional legroom, since wind-down windows are overrated anyway. The best feature by far is the gear selector, currently in second, which allows the driver to select gears and almost molest the passenger at the same time. Even Rolls Royce can't build you this feature!

MH4xhEE.jpg

This is probably important.

Ifj1273.jpg

As god himself smiles on the Midget II, one can easily see such vital safety features such as the spare wheel, very big lights and a metal bar which is 100% guaranteed* to not crush your legs when you smash into anything more substantial than a hedge.

*not actual guarantee

Proof:
zqSreDm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, that's something you don't see everyday around here. I only know of its existence because of Gran Turismo :D

Close down the PYC section, I don't think we're going to top this. I never thought someone would actually import one of these in to this country, never in a million years did I think a FG member would own one. :lol:

Gran Turismo is to blame thank for introducing me to this mental little thing, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to with it. I'd love to see one transformed in to a racer but they're so rare I think that would be a crime.

Yep.
Gran Turismo.:lol:

Oh, I forgot one. I took this about a month ago. Sorry about the nonsense in the top left, I didn't notice it on the phone's screen.
3w102ZK.jpg

That top left looks like the very edge peepings of a finger on the lens. :p

I do like the chrome trimmings, what would usually look tacky (I'm talking about you Vitara) looks cute on this. To me anyway.

It's actually the phone case which has folded up a bit in the corners. Then again, it was a very cheap one from more than 4 years ago.

I need one of these to go with my Miata. Then I can have a pickup truck (because Florida) to haul tiny things around, which I can't do in my current car.

now take it around the 'ring :p

Two things.

A) this is bloody brilliant

B) do the Roadtrip with it I dare you. You will take the "most painful Roadtrip to Ringmeet trophy" from Mxm in his 7

Brilliant! :clap:

Perfect vehicle for when you only want to transport un potato!

Bring it to the 'Ring. It probably just about qualifies as hand luggage on easyjet!

Top 10 - Best car of 2016 in the pyc thread :) :thumbup: