1997 100k Dream Car Garage

Yes please!
1997_aston_martin_db7_g_1600x1200.jpg

...and if there is some spare cash (i doubt it, but I have no idea about 1997 prices), one of these on top:
Honda-HR-V-and-lady.jpg

I try to explain:
1. The 335hp Aston was so smooth looking and had great road presence. Mouthwatering cool.
2. The 125hp AWD japanese wobble castle was somehow quite striking to me when it came out in 97/98. And I truly loved the fact that you could get it as a three-door. I could even overlook the useless roof spoiler.

Duh. :mrgreen: I'd kill to get another VR4 someday. I hope I can at some point... These should total pretty much around $100k.

3000GT VR4
1997_mitsubishi_3000gt_2dr-hatchback_vr-4_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

C43 AMG
29960400033_large.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna have to take the C36. The C43 was a MY98.

Odd, I guess it was MANUFACTURED in 1997. My fault. I'll happily take the C36. :D

Odd, I guess it was MANUFACTURED in 1997. My fault. I'll happily take the C36. :D

I recently learned that there was a big difference between those two. The C36 was a regular off the line C-class that was taken apart by AMG and rebuilt as one of theirs whereas the C43 was built from the ground up by AMG.

I recently learned that there was a big difference between those two. The C36 was a regular off the line C-class that was taken apart by AMG and rebuilt as one of theirs whereas the C43 was built from the ground up by AMG.

Wow, I didn't know that either! Good stuff. :)

A Honda NSX. Oh wait, the task was to accumulate as many cars as possible. Hm. More difficult.

Here, have two:
  • Citro?n XM
  • Lotus Elise
Feels about right, price-wise.

Model year switches over in October so any cars build late in the year are considered to be the follow year's model.

Depends on the manufacturer. My MY13 Mustang was built in August 2012. Some models are even earlier.

Depends on the manufacturer. My MY13 Mustang was built in August 2012. Some models are even earlier.
Interesting... When I worked in insurance October was always considered the cutoff. Maybe that's just for reporting purposes in this state.

Interesting... When I worked in insurance October was always considered the cutoff. Maybe that's just for reporting purposes in this state.

Never heard of that being the case. I'm going to try to find a car that changes over in November or December now.

EDIT: While I do that, here is the wiki entry on model years

In the United States, automobile model-year sales traditionally begin with the fourth quarter of the preceding year. So model year refers to the "sales" model year; for example, vehicles sold during the period from October 1 to September 30 of the following year belong to a single model year.[citation needed] In addition, the launch of the new model-year has long been coordinated to the launch of the traditional new television season (as defined by A.C. Nielsen) in late September, because of the heavy dependence between television to offer products from automakers to advertise, and the car companies to launch their new models at a high-profile time of year.[1]

In other cases, products of a previous model year can continue production, especially if a newer model hasn't yet been released. In that case, the model year remains the same until a new model is introduced. This is to ensure that the model will be seen by the public, and will actually sell an amount of vehicles before a new vehicle-model is produced, and people will look at the newer model rather than the previous one.

In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 1 of the previous calendar year. For example, this means that a 2017 model year vehicle can legally go on sale on January 1, 2016.[2] This has resulted in a few cars in the following model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL's Super Bowl in February.

Last edited:
1997 was the last year Saab made the 9000 Aero, and that would've cost a cool $42k.
1997_Saab_9000_Aero_2.3_Turbo_hatchback_%282012-09-01%29_02.jpg

By then they'd stopped importing the MR2 Turbo to the US, but a Supra Turbo would've cost slightly less than the Saab ($39,900), so I'd take one of those.
TOYOTASupra-2164_5.jpg

In all honesty that'd be good enough for me.

Never heard of that being the case. I'm going to try to find a car that changes over in November or December now.

EDIT: While I do that, here is the wiki entry on model years

How about a model being produced in December?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Roadmaster

Discontinuation

A combination of overcrowding among Buick's high-end sedans and pressure from full-size SUVs on the Estate wagon led to both Roadmasters being discontinued after the 1996 model year; the final vehicle was produced on December 13, 1996.[9]

You can play it both ways since it's not terrible to call any 1997-manufactured car a 1997.

4g-610x458.jpeg

1997 Nissan Maxima Original MSRP $24,299.00

4g-610x458.jpeg

4g-610x458.jpeg

4g-610x458.jpeg

Total $97,196 :cool:

Last edited:
Caro, no 996? It's the first year where you could've bought one!

Toyota MR2 Turbo (25k)
Personally, one of the best designs to ever come out of Japan.
Should be fun too, with 200hp in a light-ish car.
mr2-1.jpg

BMW E39 540i (52k), only because there was no M5 in 1997 :p
BMW-540i-(E39)-10.jpg

Civic Type R EK9 (18k)

Because 8200 redline and I like flogging 4-cylinders.
honda-civic-1.jpg