1997 100k Dream Car Garage

Since my real life collection is mostly about late 90s cars, I find this thread easy and fascinating! I only have to add those cars I (still) can't afford in real life.

Hot hatch: Peugeot 106 GTi 1.6 16V
vxss19pl.jpg

You need one hatchback. Today in 1997 the obvious choice is the Peugeot 106 GTi 16V. I could pick the more hardcore 106 Rallye 1.6 too, but I feel the more civilized GTi suits this collection better. I couldn't find exact price, but lets guess: 18 000 euros.

u2ClTSJl.jpg

If I don't end up wasting all my euros for more expensive metal, I could consider upgrading to the new 306 GTi-6: press seems to love it, and its six speed gearbox would definitely be something to talk about! I'm sure it will be the next 205 GTi, these things are gonna cost serious money in 2017!

Or perhaps Integra Type R? I love its hardcore nature, it's red Recaro seats, its screaming B18 engine... Maybe I'll enjoy my Peugeot GTi for now, and I'll get the next Integra Type R immediately once it comes to Europe!

Cruiser: BMW E39 528i non-M Sport

4cvhYfel.jpg

I secretly adore the Citro?n XM, but I don't want to be seen driving one. It's really getting old now: 80s scifi dream. It looks like those GCI scenes from Babylon 5! They might only be three year old stuff, but oh boy has technology gone forwards.

As I don't quite reach for the magnificent Jaguar XJR6, my pick would be the latest BMW 5-series. It's claimed to be the best BMW ever, and possibly also the best saloon ever made. It looks classy enough, so it should age well, yet it's packed with latest technology. I'll go for the largest straight six, the 528i. I'm a straight six guy, and I prefer the rack and pinion steering from six cylinder models to the recirculating ball still used in V8s. Price: 40 000 euros.

Oh, and no M Sport or other stuff to make the ride worse: this is all about comfort. Who would pay extra for less comfort? It's ridiculous to think sporty is sexy. It's just as stupid as it would be to build a BMW SUV! I'm sure those rumors about a new factory in USA to build SUVs come from out-of-control Stuttgart pre-christmas party!

Sports car: Lotus Elise

I love most of the sports cars from 1990s. All Japanese greats: RX-7, NSX, R32 GT-R, 3000G.. no wait, not that last one. I was a child in the 1990s, in fact I just turned 10 years old, so I can't actually drive any of my cars yet. Anyway, being ten years old I adore current Ferraris. Sadly with 40 000 euros left the F355 and 550 Maranello are beyond my budget. In 1997 the NSX is getting a bit old, so is the RX-7. I think I'll just wait for the next rotary Mazda, or the one after that. I'm sure there will be plenty of those to come.

I want something fresh, something radical. In 1997 the Mazda MX-5 still handles well, but come on: pop up headlamps? In 1997? What are they thinking! As a design object I adore the first generation Audi TT, but it's just not up to the driving duty I'm looking for. And in 1997 we are still wondering whether the camoflauged prototypes will indeed resemble the beautiful Audi TT Concept car from 1995. To be honest, I'm sure the production version will look like a cross between Audi 80-based Coup? and latest A4. Audi just doesn't do design.

Maybe the just launched Porsche Boxster? It's just within my budget, and it is the first completely new car from Zuffenhausen since the just killed Porsche 928. I'm happy they finally saw the light and they're ditching the age old air cooled engines! Yet I'm unsure, the press doesn't seem to love it too much. Certainly it is praised for its modern tech and handsome looks, especially the headlights are spot on. Maybe it will start to flourish after they will introduce the more powerful S-model?

HyCNFKll.jpg

I need something light. The Renaultsport Spider looks the part, but it's led down by it's handling. Toyota MR-2 is still under development, so the only obvious choice is the Lotus Elise. I'm sure I could get a base model for 40 000 euros.

SkmFsGpl.jpg

Or maybe I'll just stick to my future self: Peugeot 406 Coup?. Coupes are all about style, so why not use this chance to enjoy my future car while it is hot? It might age gracefully, but still: coupes are all about style. In 2017 it will be the prom queen 20 years later.

Since my real life collection is mostly about late 90s cars, I find this thread easy and fascinating! I only have to add those cars I (still) can't afford in real life.

Hot hatch: Peugeot 106 GTi 1.6 16V
vxss19pl.jpg

You need one hatchback. Today in 1997 the obvious choice is the Peugeot 106 GTi 16V. I could pick the more hardcore 106 Rallye 1.6 too, but I feel the more civilized GTi suits this collection better. I couldn't find exact price, but lets guess: 18 000 euros.

u2ClTSJl.jpg

If I don't end up wasting all my euros for more expensive metal, I could consider upgrading to the new 306 GTi-6: press seems to love it, and its six speed gearbox would definitely be something to talk about! I'm sure it will be the next 205 GTi, these things are gonna cost serious money in 2017!

Or perhaps Integra Type R? I love its hardcore nature, it's red Recaro seats, its screaming B18 engine... Maybe I'll enjoy my Peugeot GTi for now, and I'll get the next Integra Type R immediately once it comes to Europe!

Cruiser: BMW E39 528i non-M Sport

4cvhYfel.jpg

I secretly adore the Citro?n XM, but I don't want to be seen driving one. It's really getting old now: 80s scifi dream. It looks like those GCI scenes from Babylon 5! They might only be three year old stuff, but oh boy has technology gone forwards.

As I don't quite reach for the magnificent Jaguar XJR6, my pick would be the latest BMW 5-series. It's claimed to be the best BMW ever, and possibly also the best saloon ever made. It looks classy enough, so it should age well, yet it's packed with latest technology. I'll go for the largest straight six, the 528i. I'm a straight six guy, and I prefer the rack and pinion steering from six cylinder models to the recirculating ball still used in V8s. Price: 40 000 euros.

Oh, and no M Sport or other stuff to make the ride worse: this is all about comfort. Who would pay extra for less comfort? It's ridiculous to think sporty is sexy. It's just as stupid as it would be to build a BMW SUV! I'm sure those rumors about a new factory in USA to build SUVs come from out-of-control Stuttgart pre-christmas party!

Sports car: Lotus Elise

I love most of the sports cars from 1990s. All Japanese greats: RX-7, NSX, R32 GT-R, 3000G.. no wait, not that last one. I was a child in the 1990s, in fact I just turned 10 years old, so I can't actually drive any of my cars yet. Anyway, being ten years old I adore current Ferraris. Sadly with 40 000 euros left the F355 and 550 Maranello are beyond my budget. In 1997 the NSX is getting a bit old, so is the RX-7. I think I'll just wait for the next rotary Mazda, or the one after that. I'm sure there will be plenty of those to come.

I want something fresh, something radical. In 1997 the Mazda MX-5 still handles well, but come on: pop up headlamps? In 1997? What are they thinking! As a design object I adore the first generation Audi TT, but it's just not up to the driving duty I'm looking for. And in 1997 we are still wondering whether the camoflauged prototypes will indeed resemble the beautiful Audi TT Concept car from 1995. To be honest, I'm sure the production version will look like a cross between Audi 80-based Coup? and latest A4. Audi just doesn't do design.

Maybe the just launched Porsche Boxster? It's just within my budget, and it is the first completely new car from Zuffenhausen since the just killed Porsche 928. I'm happy they finally saw the light and they're ditching the age old air cooled engines! Yet I'm unsure, the press doesn't seem to love it too much. Certainly it is praised for its modern tech and handsome looks, especially the headlights are spot on. Maybe it will start to flourish after they will introduce the more powerful S-model?

HyCNFKll.jpg

I need something light. The Renaultsport Spider looks the part, but it's led down by it's handling. Toyota MR-2 is still under development, so the only obvious choice is the Lotus Elise. I'm sure I could get a base model for 40 000 euros.

SkmFsGpl.jpg

Or maybe I'll just stick to my future self: Peugeot 406 Coup?. Coupes are all about style, so why not use this chance to enjoy my future car while it is hot? It might age gracefully, but still: coupes are all about style. In 2017 it will be the prom queen 20 years later.

Best response so far. :lol:

You should write about cars for a living. :p

Caro, no 996? It's the first year where you could've bought one!

Today - yes, but back in the day I wanted a Corvette badly...