Ownership Verified: 1998 Volvo S70 T5: He who keeps buying Volvos...

Last edited:
Once again, a manual S60R will kick my butt. It's different against an automatic. The factory claim for the automatic is 6.0 seconds and 14 second 1/4 mile. In reality, people are claiming numbers in the 6.7 second range for 0-60.

Nevertheless, even if the S60R is faster, it's not by much. This car still feels pretty fast and it's a lot cheaper to maintain than a S60R.

and cruising at 75MPH (Colorado speed limits are awesome)
:lmao:

Sorry, I had to... ;)

Nah, nice car you have there, and 0-60 times aren't really relevant in real life, so I don't give a sh*t.

It looks very clean, I like. The wheels look awesome. But I have to agree that you should rethink the headlights. Every time I see a car with HIDs but without projector lenses it just looks chavvy, like they're trying to make their car look newer or more expensive but just end up blinding everyone. Too try hard. For me, I wouldn't have HIDs without projectors, I'd swap the bulbs for halogen ones, but that's my personal preference.

some cars came from the factory with HID in reflector housings. The reflector housings are built for HIDs to not blind incoming traffic. Good examples of this are the 2003 and before Acura TLs and some Volvos i believe. In any event, there are ways to make non HID reflectors not blind incoming traffic, including better aiming and modifying the reflectors itself. Personally i would keep the HIDs but put in a whiter bulb and make sure the aim is perfect.

Nice car HighVoltage. Some good mods on that car, although I have to agree with others on here that the headlights don't fit the rest of the car. If you ever find yourself in the Pacific Northwest, we should see whose Volvo is faster :p

Gorgeous car! I have to agree with the others about swapping out/modifying the HIDs to be less bluey/blinding, but aside from that, spectacular find!

Bricks <3

I am not sure the pictures make the headlights justice. They only look blue from certain angles. In reality they are not that blue and I haven't had anyone flashing me because they are too bright.

repped :lol:

Went out for some spirited driving. The car is really fast 0-to-holy-fucking-shit takes no time at all. Loving the turbo noise! Torquesteer is a bit unnerving.

I was a bit worried that my Traction Control button didn't work, but as it turns out - the PO had the ABS module rebuilt and as a result, the traction control is just permanently disabled. I don't have a problem with this :)

Also the brakes - I've never felt so powerful brakes. There is a downside as well - if I slam hard on the brakes when doing ~60, the car wants to swerve to either left or right. But that's mostly due to the roads. I tried it on the flattest road I can find and the car stopped dead straight. But if there is even a tiny bit of angle on the road the car likes to pull to that side.

Not really a problem though. Just takes getting used to it.

in other words the tc doesnt work :)...

Yeah, well I didn't want it anyways. Even if it did work, it is one of those old traction controls that only work below 25MPH.

Does it have the right housings or did the PO just shove HIDs in?

There's no such thing as "right housings" for hid for these cars, except for the crappy chinese aftermarket projectors which afaik work reasonably well.

A set of H7R in the stock reflectors works absolutely fine though.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "right housings" for hid for these cars, except for the crappy chinese aftermarket projectors which afaik work reasonably well.

A set of H7R in the stock reflectors works absolutely fine though.
No one makes projectors for Volvos?? I'm sure some newer models have them, right? That or you can retrofit them from another car

What he means is there are no quality aftermarket HIDs for the S70 besides cheap eBay knockoffs.

Exactly. There are cheap ebay knockoffs out there, but I don't think they suit the look of the car at all. The best thing you can do for a headlight upgrade IMO is the OEM clear headlights (and indicators) that came on the latest few years of the C70. The first gen C70 got to live 4-5 more years after the S and V models were replaced, so it got a few cosmetic upgrades.

http://i.imgur.com/ZTIiZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VvqC6.jpg

I tried searching a couple of years ago and didn't find them anywhere but from Volvo. Expensive as hell too. And they're not HID either, afaik it was never available on that platform. Guess a H7R retrofit kit would work reasonably well though.