Ownership Verified: 1998 Volvo S70 T5: He who keeps buying Volvos...

Even those came with HIDs...yes, with those headlight housings. D2R bulbs.

00's era Volvos, Renault Lagunas and Nissan Maximas have reflector HIDs. As do Scania and Mercedes trucks. I don't think they produce more glare than cars with projectors. :dunno: I see at least one every time I'm out driving.

Really? Weird. What kind of trickery did manufacturers use to create the problem of glare for no reason and then engineer their way around it? Why not just stick a halogen bulb in there?

P.S. 2002 was the first year for HIDs in Maximas and they had proper projectors, which is why people stole headlights from those cars all the time. At least in the US.

Blah....blah....blah...so much editorializing in this:

There is little or no real optical engineering behind any of the aftermarket lamps ? they are headlamp-shaped toys made from physical copies of the originals, which is not even close to adequate.

All of those things are missing from the knockoffs, which don?t even begin to get in the ballpark.

The thing about ?OE fit and performance? is a big belly-laff

Well, I replaced the Volvo lenses with these DEPO brand C70 lenses and I can vouch that the fit and finish is perfect, almost identical. Even if there are small differences, they are certainly "in the ballpark." Beam projection and cutoff are way...WAY better than the older-style fluted lenses. May not be perfect, but they are nowhere near "headlight-looking toys."

You should join the local group https://www.facebook.com/groups/mnvolvo/

I bought the headlights brand new from Amazon for $130 per side. https://www.amazon.com/Depo-373-112...492437893&sr=8-1&keywords=depo+c70+headlights

I'm on there. Haven't been to any meets or anything yet. I only started driving the car about a month ago after digging it out of my buddy's mud pit driveway.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the lights. It's gonna wait awhile, I'm close to door doubling the purchase price of the car just catching up on the deferred maintenance.

Great stroke of luck at the junkyard yesterday.

Before:
YzQbavi.jpg

toxG6iJ.jpg

After:
PnYtpzT.jpg

yclE75Q.jpg

They needed a thorough cleaning, but came out perfect.

Did you actually find a car with four flawless door cards and with the correct interior color? You hit the jackpot.

Did you actually find a car with four flawless door cards and with the correct interior color? You hit the jackpot.

Yes. All the folks on the Volvo message boards I'm on are in total disbelief that I found all four non-delaminated door panels in my interior color (which was also rare to begin with).

Now that you have your old ones removed, can you try and restore them "just in case"?

I wonder if that's possible. I think the problem is that the faux leather shrinks. At least that's what it looked like on mine.

I wonder if that's possible. I think the problem is that the faux leather shrinks. At least that's what it looked like on mine.

It doesn't really shrink, they just used crappy glue in the early years. By 2000, they had found a better glue and those cars don't have this problem, or at least not as bad.

I can probably restore the old ones, there are several guides on how to do it, but for now, they'll just stay in my storage.

Bit the bullet and finally replaced my oil cooler lines. They had a slow leak, over 2,000 miles I lost about .2qts of oil. It was mostly annoying leaving an ugly oil drop on the ground. $500 later, the underside (as well as the top of the engine) look like it came out of the factory.

Bit the bullet and finally replaced my oil cooler lines. They had a slow leak, over 2,000 miles I lost about .2qts of oil. It was mostly annoying leaving an ugly oil drop on the ground. $500 later, the underside (as well as the top of the engine) look like it came out of the factory.

Awesome, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish after my Jeep is fixed. No more oil spots.

Fall is here

Reo2jvR.jpg

YrPsprK.jpgp