Ownership Verified: 1998 Volvo S70 T5: He who keeps buying Volvos...

It's only a matter of time before he has a primer hood. :p

Ricer points accrured so far:

HIDs in improper housings: 10pts
Window tint: 1pt
Magazine racing against an S60R: 6pts
Volvo "motorsport" stickers: 2pts
Fogs turned on in many pictures (not just on this page): 1pt

Total as of 07.05.12: 20pts!

:p

How is window tint rice? It's functional.
Lots of people have stickers on their cars, at least mine don't have some stupid slogan.
What do you mean by "magazine racing"?
Say what you want about HIDs with e-codes, but visibility is great.
And Lev, you're just jealous about my fog light because you don't have any :p

He's right, window tint is not rice. But the fog lights were mis-scored - those are 100 points.

Also, the 'Motorsport' stickers from a model whose equipment he doesn't have = 2000 points.

The threshold for 'absolutely rice' is 2001 points. Yup, this is rice and it keeps getting ricier.

Last edited:
My Mustang and Volvo had fog lights, never found a use for them even in fog.

Also, the 'Motorsport' stickers from a model whose equipment he doesn't have = 2000 points.

Exactly which equipment does the T5-R have that my car doesn't?

Oh and while we're on the subject, what about that TWR spoiler on your Series III or the bodykit or the wheels? It came from the factory with those? I didn't think so. How many ricer points are those then?

Exactly which equipment does the T5-R have that my car doesn't?

Oh and while we're on the subject, what about that TWR spoiler on your Series III or the bodykit or the wheels? It came from the factory with those? I didn't think so. How many ricer points are those then?

Aftermarket accessories aren't all inherently rice, and that's not what anyone here is saying.

I don't have a body kit on the Series III. I do have the spoiler, but I don't have the badges - and the spoiler is both functional at reducing lift (cuts it by 36%) and it actually improves the car's drag co-efficient by a significant amount (0.46 down to .375). Functional !=rice. Also, TWR later became JaguarSport and you could order their parts through the dealer so this was technically a factory-provided after sale accessory for this specific model.

Wheels don't count towards rice rating unless they have 35 series or shorter rubber on them.

As for what the T5R has that you don't - for starters, there is no T5-R S70, only a T5. Putting the badges from one on your S70 is like some dude sticking AMG badges on his Smart. There is no AMG version of the Smart.

But let's leave that for the moment. What does the T5-R have that you don't?

"The engine tuning was co-developed with Porsche, as was the transmission and other powertrain components. Porsche also aided in designing some of the interior, such as the Alcantara seat inserts."

"Also included in the 1995 T-5R package was a front bumper with a lip, rear spoiler, side skirts, polished aluminum door sills, special graphite leather and Alcantara seats, and a black interior with deep walnut wood grain accents. Both yellow and black versions came with the same black interior as the only choice. The T-5R has an additional badge to the left of the "850" on the trunk, referred to as "The Motorsport badge". The standard road wheel was the titanium-gray 5-spoke 17?7 "Titan"."

You don't have any of that except the badge!!! So, yeah, your attempt to deflect this is fail, and you're still driving a riced car.

Last edited:
While Spectre's arguments are more or less valid in the sense that the S70 is in no way a T5-R, I still don't think that this is a case of rice, certainly not a serious case of it. Hell, I like the stickers. I don't know if I'd put them on a car of my own but I can see why someone else might. :dunno:

Au contraire, I've been getting the car slowly but steadily to be an R clone. I have the R gauges, the aluminum door sills in terms of the interior. I don't have a badge and I agree that it would be rice. I have the motorsport sticker which is the same as BMW's blue and red sticker put on their "sport package" models even if they are not true M's.

The wheels are the newer and stronger Pegasus, which look like the Titans but are just better.

Altogether, most of the "go fast" bits in my car come from iPD, which is a company that specializes in Volvo tuning since the 1960s.

As for Porsche helping with the development - this is actually true for all P80 (850/S70/V70/C70) cars, as they helped designing the intake components. The engine management was done by Bosch and my car actually has the better version of that. The automatic transmission was Aisin, no tuning was ever done to that.

I'm sorry for being so defensive and anal about this but I find calling my car "rice" offensive. Some of the exterior mods may not be original but they are very far away from what people in JDM and BMW scenes do to their cars.

BMW's blue and red sticker on their sport models is considered factory ricing by many, including me.

Time to slap some CBR stickers on my CX. :p

Jesus, this got serious all of a sudden... Let's just all agree that HV's lolvo does not belong in the carbage thread :)

eddiemurphyyesnodapprov.gif

Agreed. HV, I like your car. I don't think its ricey at all. But there's the usual suspect who just can't leave well enough alone.