[19x01] January 27th, 2013

[19x01] January 27th, 2013

• Total voters
Hi guys,

Does anyone, anyone know from whom or where hammond got his jacket/waistcoat?

Cheers

I have watched it a 2nd time, Richard's Huyura segment was too reminiscent of Fifth Gear! There was not enough dicking about. I watch Top Gear for the dicking about, if I want to see perfectly shot pieces about cars with serious facts I'd watch Fifth Gear!

Or you remember what Top Gear used to be really about before it became trendy and a road show/stunt show every week, to drive DVD sales and appeal to non car people. I absolutely loved it and thought they had finally got back to being Top Gear and what made me fall in love with the show long before it was trendy to. Hopefully they have made enough money now they can get to being a car show like this weeks and just do the odd road trip, so they don't look constantly tired, strained and scripted like they have in recent series and we can actually look forward to the odd road trip instead of just watching them desperately trying to come up with one more contrived scenario to fill air time.

9/10 for me. Keep it up boys.

I saw a story on ABC news this morning about the world's new smallest car, the P45. Apparently the driver can refuel it without even getting out of the car!

..Yes they were serious and seemed totally unaware that the car was created as a joke for a TV show.

Seriously? And I thought it was bad last year, after Ryan Reynolds was on and had told the story about moving his teacher's car one city block, and how that was, technically, "Grand Theft Auto". The Entertainment shows started reporting the story within a day or two "Ryan Reynolds admits to being a car thief on British TV".

Ahh, the joys of "journalism" these days -pass off the 'facts' that you hear as truth, without bothering to check them out. Oy.

I saw a story on ABC news this morning about the world's new smallest car, the P45. Apparently the driver can refuel it without even getting out of the car!

..Yes they were serious and seemed totally unaware that the car was created as a joke for a TV show.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/02/top-gear-host-jeremy-clarkson-debuts-p45-smallest-car/

"For those who think a Smart car is the most diminutive vehicle on the road, ?Top Gear? host Jeremy Clarkson has got a surprise up his sleeve: the P45.
The vehicle was designed by Clarkson ? who began hosting the U.K. television show about cars in 1988 ? as a response to the Peel P50, the three-wheeled microcar made in Britain in the 1960s."

:roflmao:

Last edited:
P45 segment could've been a little bit better, and it was a little too long to get to the point. But all in all, a standard TGUK episode!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/02/top-gear-host-jeremy-clarkson-debuts-p45-smallest-car/

"For those who think a Smart car is the most diminutive vehicle on the road, ?Top Gear? host Jeremy Clarkson has got a surprise up his sleeve: the P45.
The vehicle was designed by Clarkson ? who began hosting the U.K. television show about cars in 1988 ? as a response to the Peel P50, the three-wheeled microcar made in Britain in the 1960s."

:roflmao:
Well, that's better. The story I saw on TV didn't mention Top Gear and presented it as an upcoming production car.

The P45 bit was death. Cringeworthy to the extreme and the Dragon's Den bit just made it worse (I almost switched off). Luckily I had Sky+ the show so I forwarded over Self Indulgent Celebrity goes round the track while Jeremy simpers over them (Does TG really need this? )

I seriously think this has "jumped the shark" now. The scripting seems worse than ever too.

I finally came round to watch it, and I found it pretty poor. As I've suspected, they've started to just execute the Top Gear formula of success and will milk it until the ratings drop or an important person drops out of the production. It felt like they've stopped making any effort at all, it was completely soul-less. They took their standard formulas for the respective cars and simply worked them off. Also, all three looked terribly misplaced in those acting roles at any time. I didn't find any of the bits specifically entertaining, funny or interesting.

Pagani: flashy effects, Hammond starting to cry because of the immense speed, throw it round the track, find it to handle better than suspected, great laptime
News: a sequence of poorly played-out jokes where they play their respective roles and throw the ball back and forth
Bentley: find a way to use it differently as intended, use some agressive editing and music to make it look dangerous. I actually liked the bit up to the rallying, because there was some information about the car
SIARPC: snow on the track added a fun element, but it was rather an incident than a planned event
P45: a poor rehash of the P50 and the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust segment: build a ridiculous car and throw real life situations at it to make it look even more ridiculous

Overall, I found it to be even poorer than what we've seen before, because now it seems they have abandoned any dignity they might have had left.

Verdict: 4/10

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Definitely wasn't a great episode but the worse part was the P45 segment. It ruined the ending to the episode imo by ending on a lower note.

Regarding the Huayra's lap time-- it looks a lot like the car is wearing the same Pirelli slicks the Zonda R runs. Hence, they pulled a FXX. It's possible they painted up a set of PZeros with the white logos the slicks wear for marketing purposes, but I doubt it.

As such if TG didn't intentionally stage it, I would expect them to remove the time in the near future as a result.

Oh, good spot, Simmy. Pagani just admitted they used a different set of tires for the lap time, and commenters all over the Net have opined that it was a set of cut racing slicks. According to Jalop, the TG production office didn't know until they were contacted. TG is "investigating" viz. the couple of articles that Jalop has had on this today.

I knew that lap time was fishy, but I didn't think about the tires.

IIRC someone in this thread said that the Huayra's lap was improved by that "new" concrete bit over the grass at Gambon corner. I just noticed that it's been there as far back as the start of series 12. :)