[19x01] January 27th, 2013

[19x01] January 27th, 2013

• Total voters
I was thinking about giving it a pass at 5/10 but, I will give it 4/10. It was an incredibly dull episode. Only half decent part was the Bentley.

The news segment was the most cringe worthy. I wish that they would replace Hammond.

Got an 8/10 from me. The Pagani and Bentley films were both great, imo. The SIARPC bit was fun just for the snow. The P45 bit was just alright. A few chuckles, but too much like the Peel P90 film, only far less funny and too much obvious scripting. The investors bit at the end would have been far better if Jeremy was more insulting, since that group seem deserving of it.

Wasn't that good of a start. Like another said, how do you make a video with a Pagani boring?

Now I'm more looking forward to the premiere of Top Gear USA on tuesday. At the very least, next week's supercar road trip should have a good shot at being proper Top Gear. I like them better when they are playing off of each other instead of doing solo films.

6 or 7. I don't think there was any intricate reason as to why it was so average, just that that it was the three of them were doing their bits separately. There already are tons of programs with the each of them individually, so I was kind of expecting them to do a road trip together or something. Especially after all this time.

And I'm sorry but the Huayra looks like an older, fatter version of the Zonda. It's so depressing. It kind of reminds me of those revolting American sedans from the 1990s.

But as for the general feeling of dullness, the bit when they showed a high definition shot of the Bentley driving away from behind the grass blades really said it all. It's too calculated, there are way too many people involved, it feels like everything is decided by a bunch of rich kids who graduated from some fancy business school and are trying to win a pissing competition. I miss it when they would just talk shit for an hour and move on with their lives.

I gave it an 8.

Pagani -- car might be exciting, but the review itself was a little dull.
News -- meh. Except for the Dakar item. I think it's really important that they acknowledge the team's finish.
Bentley -- now that's more like it. James learning to rally-navigate was good, and the Bentley actually coping with the rally track was a genuine surprise.
SIARPC -- normally I skip to the end and the time. When I saw the time, I went and re-watched. Y'know, if it were up to me, I would have cancelled Damian even attempting it. So kudos to him for determination.
P45 "Davros" -- Skipped the Dragon's Den bit. Jeremy's usually better when he acknowledges the shortcomings of his projects. That's what loses the points.

Pagani- A+ ...and holy hell that thing is fast.
News- crap except for the Rally boys!
Bentley- Awesome. Did not expect it to do that well.
SIARPC- Pretty good, best lap I've ever seen. I feel like he should get another lap though. :/
P45- Thought it was going to be terrible to start, turned out decent but the Dragon's Den drug it on a little too long.

Overall...well, I want to say 10/10 because it's back after much too long, but I'd say a solid 7-8 to start the series. I'll give the poll an 8 just because.......well, Top Gear is back!

Last edited:
Pagani - Good, not great. Impressive lap. 8/10
News - BO-ring. 4/10
Bentley - Impressive. Captain Slow strikes again. Camera work & production quality is incredible. 10/10
SIARPC - Eh, whatever. Not terribly entertaining, but fun to watch lap. 7/10
P45 - Has funny moments where I truly LOL'ed... Love the self beep in reverse. However, too long. 6/10

Overall... 8/10. Good start to the series, Bentley segment is the main take away.

TOP GEAR IS BACK!!!!!!!

good show. I thought the P45 segment was cringeworthy once or twice but Richard took his review (somewhat) seriously this show and James's segment was extremely interesting. Couldn't care less about the STIARPC because I have never heard of him, but thought the lap was hilarious.

Overall a solid 7/10 and i cant wait for next week...... Better be more than 5 episodes though

The Pagani and Zonda films were great. The P45 was too obvious, and way too long. Didn't like it at all.

Also...the news was kind of shitty. Maybe it's been too long, but I wasn't a big fan of their humor. It used to be interesting, now it's just an over-the-top act.

6 or 7. The Pagani was pretty awesome but it felt like I'd seen it before (would've loved to seen a mounted camera focused on the front flaps to see them work through the course). Bentley was the high point of the show, amazing that it could accomplish a WRC course on road tires. P45, just a retread of the P50 film (and less funny).
SIARPC, I never knew that actor was British. I've only seen him in Band of Brothers, with no accent.

To all those skeptical about the Huaaaaara's lap, I think downforce (especially at the front) played a huge part in the time with those adjusting wings. Not a bad ep IMO, not that great either, but it feels so good to have TG back after almost a whole year. :D

I am having trouble playing the standard definition version of this episode the video is pixelated is there any way to fix this?

- - - Updated - - -

I am having trouble playing this video the standard definition version is pixelated on windows media player is there a way to fix this?

Solid ep. 8/10.

Pagani, eh. Fun to watch but this thing has been pseudo-reviewed to death already. I'd be quite happy to never hear Hammo say "Carbo-Tanium" again.
News, watchable but not memorable.
Bentley, surprisingly fun to watch, though suggestions that it's anything close to a WRC car are hilarious.
Star, better than usual. Fun and watchable.
P45, Moments of hilarity (gas in garbage) and moments of suck (dragons). Overall quite amusing.

- - - Updated - - -

To all those skeptical about the Huaaaaara's lap, I think downforce (especially at the front) played a huge part in the time with those adjusting wings. Not a bad ep IMO, not that great either, but it feels so good to have TG back after almost a whole year. :D

The TG track is not one that offers much advantage to huge downforce. Most of the corners are far too slow for any significat aero to work, and the paddles on the car are more "this looks cool" than significant aerodynamic devices. The Pagani is fast as it's relatively light, has lots of power, and unlike most other things with those traits, a chassis setup that allows it to be used.

I guess they are trying miserably hard to do something new(Hammond trying to come up with something smart while Pagani test) but doesn't seem to working and I don't blame them completely its season 19 and hard to come up with new every time. I gave it 7 because of Huayra and Bently.

Could not agree more, for a series which has had a year off, this is the best they can do..

With ALL the new cars released in the past year, the NEWS was complete crap.
At least there is a review of something made in Japan soon, the new Toybaru's.

One thing I never understand is the lack of a fair go with any cars made in Japan, what is it with the British??
They love to drive German and French cars, but rate Japanese poorly....Strange.

Has not got any better...5/10

I was thinking about giving it a pass at 5/10 but, I will give it 4/10. It was an incredibly dull episode. Only half decent part was the Bentley.

The news segment was the most cringe worthy. I wish that they would replace Hammond.

agree

Pagani, Bentley, and half the news was good for me. The P45 was.... Ok, I do like the dedication Jeremy. It wasn't just another Geoff vehicle. While useless, it looks like they tried. The car wash part was for a "Really? Seriously?" moment.

The dragons part was decent "Jeremy, this is the smartest I've ever seen you." :D

Solid 8.

The Bentley was impressive. Makes you wonder just what kind of deal/insurance they had to be able to do that.

SIRPC Probably one of the more entertaining laps. Most of the time could care less. FYI He was Lt Winters in the Band of Brothers series that Tom Hanks and Spielberg did a few years ago.

P45 - Yup too much like the P50 schtick as well as the tie up traffic with a slow car or the shout and scream routine instead of entertaining dialog.

I gave it a 7