[19x01] January 27th, 2013

[19x01] January 27th, 2013

• Total voters
My dear fellow, if you can't even tell that wasn't a Zonda, then I think you're watching the wrong program, and complaining for nothing...

Maybe he got into Jeremy's habit of calling Pagani Motors "Zonda".

They managed to spend a whole 5 seconds discussing the new corvette, which is actually a fantastic car that's remarkably affordable and a big deal in the US.

All true, but: As long as GM market/price the Corvette as a 911-competitor over here, it'll always be an "exotic" car -and treated as such by the media. Other than its image, that's really the main problem this car has in Europe: For us, it's not the incredible deal you guys in the US get. Just for comparison: The entry-level Vette is around ?75,000 in Germany - or roughly the price of three Golf GTI.

And besides: There'll always be cars like this that are incredibly important in one market and not that interesting in another. Just look at the Ford F-150.

S.

Last edited:
It was a OKish episode. Not that great to be honest. The Pagani bit was all right, The Bentley bit was good, and P45 was utter garbage.
Is it just me but did this episode just feel a little weird? It seemed like they where trying really heard to be the same old Top Gear that everyone loved, but something about this episode just didn't feel right to me.

Other than its image, that's really the main problem this car has in Europe: For us, it's not the incredible deal you guys in the US get. Just for comparison: The entry-level Vette is around ?75,000 in Germany - or roughly the price of three Golf GTI.
Wow, is it really priced that high there? I think the entry level is something like $50,000 here which is under ?37,000.

Is it just me but did this episode just feel a little weird? It seemed like they where trying really heard to be the same old Top Gear that everyone loved, but something about this episode just didn't feel right to me.
Not just you, it definitely felt forced to me.. all the jokes fell flat.

Wow, is it really priced that high there? I think the entry level is something like $50,000 here which is under ?37,000.

Well, to be fair.. car prices in the US tend to be lower in general - and with the current exchange rate, that gap is even bigger than usual. The Golf GTI I cited as an example starts at $24,000 in the US (~ ?17,700). The GTI is inbetween models right now, but the last version (Mk. VI) was around ?26,000-27,000 in Germany ($35,000 - 36,000). Plus even the entry-level US-version has BT, iPod-interface, satellite-radio and 18''-wheels as standard.. all of which are optional extras over here.

When I ordered my current car in 2009, I did a quick comparison with US-prices just for laughs .. and sure enough, in the US, I *almost* could've gotten an entry-level Corvette for the price of my reasonably well equipped Golf.

I *think* Chevrolet are beginning to see the light however.. they used to market the Corvette as a seperate brand (no mention of it on the German Chevrolet-website for example). Not sure if they changed that for good, but when I checked their site again last night, the Corvette now does appear on there, and the corvette-europe.com url now gets you to the European Chevy-page.

S.

Last edited:
Maybe I just need to see this episode again but I was just amazed how they managed to make Pagani-bit boring?
IMHO because the Huayra is just a boring and somewhat ugly car. All the Zondas were loud, fast and had some sort of Diva-ish behavior. The new Huayra isn't loud and it doesn't kill you as fast as a Zonda would do. It really is very fast but the front is ugly, the side is ugly and I have the feeling this new model was made for all the fat middle-aged/old men to get them fast from a to b in a more comfortable way. IMO it is a step backwards, even though it's made with the same attention to detail...

EDIT=

The Huayra will be tested by the german car show GRIP on Sunday at 6pm on RTL 2. Looking forward to see this and maybe compare it to the TG test then.

Last edited:
I think they're all a bit rusty.
They should take a year off and come back when they're ready to make a great show again.

Last edited:
5 points.

Episode went:

Meh
Huarya! /jizzpants
Meh

Ok, finally watched it a couple of times which I feel I need to do before replying.

Since I reserve 10's for epic road trips and the like, I feel this was a solid 7 with plenty of family entertainment.

First I noticed the new opening credit montage. Ok. They had plenty of time to pull that together.

Then the series teaser, which may have been the best part of the show.

Thought James's hair was def looking styled and sprayed, which I suppose is better than some past wild and straggly episodes. Happy belated birthday to him!

Also thought "Mr Toad" was def the funniest line in the episode. :D Closely followed by Hammond's "stout canvas" line.

My feeling is that perhaps Pagani has replaced Porsche with the laziest designers ever? Huayra looks just like the Zonda to me, and at least Porsche keeps calling theirs the 911 and doesn't have the balls to change the name and not the design.

SIARPC was fine. At least I knew who Damian Lewis is, unlike some northern comedians. Enjoyed the slushy lap. Here in the US, of course, they'd have a few pickups with a blade affixed to the front which they'd have sent 'round in the morning - maybe a bit of salt, and it would have been dry by the time he drove it, but as we know, they don't have those there. Hahaha. :lol:

P45 was not my type of slapstick humor, but I know families will have enjoyed it, and I'm glad TG tries to please a wide audience.

Fingers crossed for next week's road trip.

Well, to be fair.. car prices in the US tend to be lower in general - and with the current exchange rate, that gap is even bigger than usual. The Golf GTI I cited as an example starts at $24,000 in the US (~ ?17,700). The GTI is inbetween models right now, but the last version (Mk. VI) was around ?26,000-27,000 in Germany ($35,000 - 36,000). Plus even the entry-level US-version has BT, iPod-interface, satellite-radio and 18''-wheels as standard.. all of which are optional extras over here.

When I ordered my current car in 2009, I did a quick comparison with US-prices just for laughs .. and sure enough, in the US, I *almost* could've gotten an entry-level Corvette for the price of my reasonably well equipped Golf.

I *think* Chevrolet are beginning to see the light however.. they used to market the Corvette as a seperate brand (no mention of it on the German Chevrolet-website for example). Not sure if they changed that for good, but when I checked their site again last night, the Corvette now does appear on there, and the corvette-europe.com url now gets you to the European Chevy-page.

S.

Well, I have the same reaction when I compare Dutch with German prices. For example, in the Netherlands the Renault Megane RS is exactly ?8,000 more expensive than in Germany (?36,000 vs ?28,000). Silly money.

Expectations for the new series were very high after such a long absence but I think the team turned in a pretty 'safe' episode. A new fastest car from their go-to manufacturer for such things, an 'ok' celebrity (helped by poor conditions), an over-the-top bit for Jeremy for comic relief, and taking a 'good' car to an unusual use bit (the Bentley).

I gave it a 9 as I think they did the formula right, minus being 'epic'. Certainly re-watchable.

Here in the US, of course, they'd have a few pickups with a blade affixed to the front which they'd have sent 'round in the morning - maybe a bit of salt, and it would have been dry by the time he drove it, but as we know, they don't have those there. Hahaha. :lol:

Yeah where's the Snowbine when you need it? :(

6581633419_f99f2849c6_z.jpg

^
yeah! why they didn't use those? it's already "proven" before, so there's no reason to not use it again... :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic though:

Good opening episode! Worth the wait, great content overall but as someone said here, the atmosphere dull... the Bentley one was very nice, while the P45 is suprisingly funny and rubbish at the same time, at least to me... Can't wait to see the road trip and the 86/BRZ...

Also, as Hammond said, there maybe some people who watch this episode (also maybe some on this forum? :D) that can actually afford a Huayra...

"and is the job of you, me and everybody else to stand around and join together in the chorus... DO IT!! DO IT!! DO IT!!"