[19x01] January 27th, 2013

[19x01] January 27th, 2013

• Total voters
I have watched it a 2nd time, Richard's Huyura segment was too reminiscent of Fifth Gear! There was not enough dicking about. I watch Top Gear for the dicking about, if I want to see perfectly shot pieces about cars with serious facts I'd watch Fifth Gear!

6/10

Pagani was watchable, nice car good visuals, some effects overdone...
News, I liked them, could be better and real content though...
Bentley nice to have it on real road, noticed the Finnish Notes. I didn't enjoy James being in that situation, but it did look great.
SIARPC - no idea about guest, the track was awfull, can't really say much...
P45 Had it's fun parts, but they could have done it in less maybe 10-15 mins and maybe just destroy something in last 5 or 10 minutes, or jump over something...

Most reviews in this thread so far are pretty harsh. I'm not going to say it was the best episode ever (it wasn't) but I did enjoy it, and we were laughing a lot. The P45 segment was only ever going to be incredibly silly, but I still found a lot of it really entertaining. The Dragons bit I could do without.
The news was entertaining, as was the SIARPC (except when they started talking about football zzz) and the other two segments were really well done- loved James getting shouted at for sucking at pace notes :)
Gonna give it a 7, but as some others said, the montage suggests some pretty epic stuff to come...

Good episode, with memorable bits and less memorable bits, and two records at both ends

Huayra review was great, with an amazing and insane car, and an equaly incredible time
The news was good and really funny
Bentley rallying was amazing, such an impressive car and superb driving
Usually couldn't care less about the SIARPC, but the apocalyptical lap was really entertaining
I dreaded the P45 segment, but it was quite good, but too long

Now I'm really looking forward to the US trip

Good solid episode, eventhough Jeremys scripted P45 segment, to which I laugh'd couple of times.

But one thing has to be said WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO HAMSTER?! He looks like he has gained 50 years in 1 year. Also May and Jezza look old as dinosaurs, but that we sort of knew

And was it just me or have they changed their filming style?

And post n.300! yay :cool:

Last edited:
6/10 for me, nothing we haven't seen already. The P45 segment was terrible, shouldn't have been on the show. Bentley piece was the highlight for me, although there was some questionable editing from what was obviously a second take after the event. Also, 140MPH in a 2.5 ton car on Welsh Rally Stages on road tyres? Please...

Good episode.

Didn't feel content though. Sort of ended abruptly, leaving me wanting more...though I suppose that's what they want ;)

I thought it was an alright episode. I liked the Huayra review and the Bentley stage. But the Clarkson P45 segment.. as much as I wanted to like it.. I just couldn't. It was so set up, and scripted and felt like a cheap way of getting a few laughs. The preview for the series I thought was awesome. And the guest (who I call 'WINTERS' due to his bad ass role in Band of Brothers) actually talked a hell of a lot. But he was a good sport, and I thought he did pretty well on the track considering the conditions. It felt like they were trying to get back into the groove after being away for so long. Hopefully it picks up a bit next week.

I'd give this episode a 6.5

Pagani segment ? watchable, quality cinematography, booster seat for the Hamster needed
News ? dumb and forced
Bentley segment ? watchable
SIARPC ? watchable, what was that noise from the crowd when he said he's Liverpool fan
P45 ? unimaginative rehash of the original, classic Peel P50 segment without a nice bottom

6/10

As I enjoyed most of the episode, I'll give it a 7/10. The wooden acting during the introduction to the P45, and the Dragon's Den scene during the same segment, could only be described as cringeworthy.

Last edited:
9 for the Bentley, need more Kris Meeke

6 from me

Hammond made the Pagani segment a bit boring to be honest. The formula for super car reviews is tired, they did everything you would expect. Glitzy close ups with cool lighting effects and then gurning like an idiot at the speed of the thing. I realize they are probably very limited with what they can do with a very low volume, ?800,000 car but they need to start getting imaginative again. Hammond even has a raging passion for these Pagani's and that didn't really come across very well either. A bit of a bum note that one.

News - Awful in the extreme. Even have may bleating out loud. No good.

Bentley - Pre-show this was the one I was most worried about. I just didn't see any relevance of putting a luxury yacht round a welsh rally stage. There wasn't any point to it really. We didn't really learn much about the car expect that it rides ok and isn't quite the slowest machine to grace the mud and gravel. But that is it. Happily though it was well presented by May (I reckon he is the best of the 3 now, although I hear JC is the consumate professional when it comes to interviews, doing things in one take and off the cuff remarks) and Meeke is a beast! It was entertaining to watch despite it being only skin deep on details.

SIARPC - Don't mind these. Guest was vaguely interesting and he had a good stab at it in the snow.

JC's P45 - Mixed bag. Re-hashed stuff they did before. Some genuinely funny quips. Some irritatingly bad "hamming it up" like screaming all the way down the A3 and screaming every time the wheels fouled with the body work. Bit too long, but it had its moments. Telling Duncan he couldnt understand a word he was saying was a laugh out loud moment. Buying james a present from Anne summers was funny as well. Actually for me, I think the dragons den part just about saved it.

Must improve.

Hopefully they have decided to get the shite out of the way first. Roll on the good stuff next week! NEW VIPER THO!

And what's the thing with Lewis Hamilton in season previews?

Are they so angry that German driver is on the top of F1 board, that they needed to invite him again to beat his 'wet&oily' time? They did the same with Jenson Button.

It gets a solid "meh" from me. The Pagani segment was decent. The news forgettable. The Bentley rallying was freaking cool. The P-45 was idiotic. I skipped the guest.

7/10

The Pagani bit was decent, I just loved watching the car go round the track, amazing time.

The Bentley bit surprised me, initially I was like "oh lord not another boring Bentley review" but then the rally came on and I was like... :woot:

SIARPC: solid, as I'm a big Homeland fan.

Jeremy's P45: felt really draaagggggeeeeed out. The only funny bit was the Dragon's Den portion. Other than that I was not impressed and really put a damper on the whole EP for me.

JC's P45 - Mixed bag. Re-hashed stuff they did before. Some genuinely funny quips. Some irritatingly bad "hamming it up" like screaming all the way down the A3 and screaming every time the wheels fouled with the body work.

Really? I thought that was the best part--only Jeremy could have pulled off that film. His style of screaming and cutting right back to polite conversation is hilarious, IMO.

Overall it was a well rounded episode; lots of things I liked and some I didn't.

Pagani - Awesome car, not as awesome film. It wasn't bad, but it didn't really do the car justice. They didn't really do anything new in terms of effects and cinematography; reeked of previous reviews. Could have done better.

News - Pretty amusing, though the Top Gear withdrawl might have had something to do with it.

Bentley - Incredible, though mostly in a "how the hell is it doing that?" sort of way. Like watching the Titanic take on a Jetsprint race; it's going to be quite a spectacle. James wasn't too bad of a co-driver either. Sure, he was rubbish at the start, but got rather decent towards the end.

SIARPC - I usually don't like this segment, especially when I don't have the slightest clue as to who the guest is. However, watching the C-apostrophe-D slide around in the snow was hilarious. As Jeremy said, definitely the most entertaining lap of the track.

P45 - That was such a ridiculous sight. Had a few laughs, but it also had a lot of cheesy bits. Skipped the Dragon's Den section of it.

Could have been a little better, but still a good start to the series.
Was going to give it a 7, but gave it an 8 instead because I was so glad to see the boys back (yeah, the withdrawl got really bad).

Like they said from the beginning of the episode: nothing has changed, but not for the good.
The Pagani and Bentley were very good pieces, standard TG stuff, the Pagani was simply done perfectly
The news...terrible, very unfunny and rehashing old jokes...we deserve better than that
SIARPC was great, they should really make an adverse weather board just to distinguish it from the dry times, and please make more dramatic slides like this one!
Jeremy's P45...ah, the car is a brilliant idea from a creative standpoint, I like they actually put thought in the project, but the whole section dragged on too long, like all the cock-about features always do:mad: Being a non-UK viewer I skipped the Dragon bit first chance I got, and I'm glad I did it.

Not too promising for a series opener I must say, and that Huayra time is clearly RIGGED

Really? I thought that was the best part--only Jeremy could have pulled off that film. His style of screaming and cutting right back to polite conversation is hilarious, IMO.

Meh different strokes. Not my kind of humor. He is much funnier with is off the cuff comments though.

- - - Updated - - -

Like they said from the beginning of the episode: nothing has changed, but not for the good.
The Pagani and Bentley were very good pieces, standard TG stuff, the Pagani was simply done perfectly
The news...terrible, very unfunny and rehashing old jokes...we deserve better than that
SIARPC was great, they should really make an adverse weather board just to distinguish it from the dry times, and please make more dramatic slides like this one!
Jeremy's P45...ah, the car is a brilliant idea from a creative standpoint, I like they actually put thought in the project, but the whole section dragged on too long, like all the cock-about features always do:mad: Being a non-UK viewer I skipped the Dragon bit first chance I got, and I'm glad I did it.

Not too promising for a series opener I must say, and that Huayra time is clearly RIGGED

Why do you say that?

What motive do they have to rig the time?