[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
haha? 9/10? I liked how they sticked to the speed limits :p

and JCs face when he used the LFAs concierge service :p

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. I do agree with others here. "Something" was missing. 8/10

While it's a bit raw at times (the laser plane thing was just too long), I laughed my ass off at the funny segments
It's a strong 8.

Didn't catch all of it live (again).. so here are some random thoughts:

Nerdy nitpick: Cars don't stall when you push stuff up their tailpipes. Example: The Mythbusters *jammed* potatoes into the exhaust of an old small block and those things just came flying out when the engine was started.

Jezza and the LFA: Didn't sound very convincing when he declared it was the "best car he's ever driven". That thing is so not his style and he didn't make a very good argument for the car during the show.

And like some others on here, I also had a feeling that something was missing from the show. Presenters didn't seem to bond with the cars at all - unlike what happened during the muscle-car roadtrip.
Solution: Don't put the guys into cars they adore - or at least not all of them. Jezza in the LFA is fine I guess (shouldn't be his thing), but May in an Aston, in the US?

Why use the traditional format for a road-trip show? Should've skipped the news and SIARPC and all the other studio bits and shown more of the actual trip.

Also could've given the presenters more interesting challenges and a more interesting goal. Say, like Bonneville in the muscle-car-trip. Seeing them drive down some highway as the final race wasn't that exciting.

Plus: The Mexico-thing wasn't that funny when it originally happened. And they built the entire last act around that weak joke.

S.

Last edited:
Ok better than last week! Rather fun actually - not a 10 but hey they can't all be now can they?

Last edited:
I remember watching some of the early episodes over and over again and thinking how exceptional they were.... and now..... I don't know..... but still, a minor improvement to the last week's episode.

Yeah.. remember stuff like the final bit during the Isle of Man Coupe-shootout (Porsche, Aston V8, BMW M6)? When they all sat down at the end and argued about the cars? What a great little moment. Quiet, authentic, brilliant.

Why use the traditional format for a road-trip show? Should've skipped the news and SIARPC and all the other studio bits and shown more of the actual trip.

I'm pretty sure it will be released as a separate DVD Special..... for more income, of course :)

Yeah.. remember stuff like the final bit during the Isle of Man Coupe-shootout (Porsche, Aston V8, BMW M6)? When they all sat down at the end and argued about the cars? What a great little moment. Quiet, authentic, brilliant.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, that was something...... ah, good old earlier seasons.....

Unfortunately, they set themselves a high standard with the Bonneville roadtrip several series ago and I tend to measure all others against that. This one didn't really shape up, although there was nothing wrong with it.

Also (and I say this with trepidation, lest I should get my head bitten off) Hammond is now way too old to be doing his "voice of the youth" thing and poking fun at the other two for being old fogeys, especially whilst dressed like a Thatcherite yahoo. And someone PLEASE tell him to stop labouring a joke for seven minutes after it stopped being funny.

Nice road trip, great film, just enough relaxed humor, interesting guest, tolerable news. Overall a good episode, certainly a lot better than average.

Unfortunately, they set themselves a high standard with the Bonneville roadtrip several series ago and I tend to measure all others against that.

No need to point to the excellent Bonneville-episode. I usually watch an episode twice before rating it, but right now, I'd go as far as saying that the Eastcoast US-roadtrip (Fezza, 911 GT3, Merc SLS) was a lot better than this one.

S.

Cinematography was amazingly insane. Some of the best shots ever on Top Gear.

Considering some of the epic cinematography of earlier episodes (the M5 Wagon vs. E63 Estate at Manchester Airport and the approach to Paris in the Supercar Road Trip), when Top Gear went HD I was expecting amazing. However, I was mostly disappointed with the first few seasons.

Tonight, however, they had the magic. :cool:

I think the road trip isn't quite as good as the ones before. I agreed people here that Jeremy's comments on LFA isn't enough. I expected to see a detailed and exciting shots of LFA while watching and disapointed a lot. I can't even see the length of 11's.
by the way not bad but could be better i thought

The episode was great. Much better than the last one, I don't know why didn't they start with this instead of that.

8/10

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two acts of the road trip. A wonderful, typical blend of banter and driving (the 55 MPH jokes were good). Great cinematography this series, too.

I thought the news was great. Guest was fantastic (because he's Mick Fleetwood, of course).

The Mexico joke was played out when it first started (really, Richard?). Dedicating the third act to that idea was pretty disappointing. Who didn't see the ending after hearing the premise of this trip?

And really, who is looking forward to the potential of another film (the review) begin dedicated to the ongoing joke?

I'm pretty sure it will be released as a separate DVD Special..... for more income, of course

And I'm pretty sure it'll be paired with this year's Africa special to form Great Adventures whatever number they're up to

This. There was nothing essentially wrong with it, the cinematography and the setting were excellent, the news was funny, the SIARPC pretty good and the expected goofing off at the end absent but for some reason it left me without goosebumps, pinpricks behind the eyes or a sense of drama. I hate to say this but to me while I am sure they had a good time making it they failed to convey that and it rather felt like they were just going through the motions.

While it was a good episode to show to someone who is a TG sceptic it is already proving itself to be one that didn't stick in the memory.

7/10

I think it didn't have a nice flow to it and that was the main problem. It seemed a bit un-homogenous. The racing against the planes and the drag race bits were out of context for such a road trip. It was overlong and kinda broke the road movie feeling.

And speaking about one thing missing: Where was the Stig (or one of his cousins)?

But nevertheless I chuckled more than once, Mick Fleetwood was a very nice guest (I also adore "Rumors") and the news were funny enough.

And they surely seemed to do some bad-ass driving inside the US of A.

So 8/10 from me.

Better than last weeks episode, but still missing 'that thing' that will make me watch it time and time again.
Ah well - even thought is wasn't an epic episode it was beautifully shot.
7/10

8, but only just.

The "55 mph" thing was hilarious and saved the ep for me.

LFA: Done to death. Let it go already.
Aston: Awesome. James seemed to be driving like an actual human this time.
Viper: More awesome. Though it would be nice if Hammo could drive the thing.

Star: Fun, but not memorable.

No Stig test of the cars = lame.

I'll make a note to try one of these "Tack-ohs" Clarkson was going on about.

8/10.

Same as others, it was good, but didn't feel special. There was no sense of personality about the cars and the guys seemed to be buried under tasks or projects without being able to just be themselves and banter about.