[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
. Don't get me wrong: I'm sure the LFA is a brilliant car, but ?375,000 for that? If you want a nerdy, insanely fast Japanese car, why not buy the much more practical Nissan GT-R and save tons of ?s/$s?

S.

That's a very common complaint regarding the LFA, but Toyota have sold every single one that they intended to build, so you could say they nailed the pricing from their point of view.

Liked the episode a lot. Skipped the guest and nodded off during the news :D though. Are they going to reuse props from like 10 series ago now?

But another quite good trip to ze states. The 55 mph joke did work for me even after the 5th time ...

8/10

I see a lot of people complain about the fact that Jeremy says the LFA is his new favourite car. Of course, everyone can disagree with this, but I think he is serious about it. He has said the same thing about this Lexus in a lot of interviews now, and in a recent column in Top Gear magazine he even says it is the first car he really wants to buy immediately after I think the Ferrari F355. The reason is that it is a car that can go very quickly but is usable every day as well, a bit like the James May argument about the MP4-12C. Sure, it is not like Clarkson at all, but then he is no stereotype, but a real person.

but Toyota have sold every single one that they intended to build, so you could say they nailed the pricing from their point of view.

IIRC, they only built 500 of them.. so they were bound to sell like crazy. They're collectibles. The funny thing is that the GT-R isn't just a lot cheaper, more practical and better equipped.. its laptimes round the Ring and Hockenheim Short are virtually identical to the LFA's. Which makes the Lexus look even more ridiculous. Or to throw an even more expensive car into the mix: The Veyron may not be that fast round a track, but it's the fastest production car in the world. The LFA for all its attention to detail doesn't have a real highlight such as this.. except for its rarity, I guess.

S.

Yeah.. remember stuff like the final bit during the Isle of Man Coupe-shootout (Porsche, Aston V8, BMW M6)? When they all sat down at the end and argued about the cars? What a great little moment. Quiet, authentic, brilliant.
Hahahah, I'm browsing this thread before watching the new episode....

...and just simply reading your comment makes me want to watch 7x01 first. Right now. Before the new episode.

Kinda sums up how excited I am about new TG these days :p

IIRC, they only built 500 of them.. so they were bound to sell like crazy. They're collectibles. The funny thing is that the GT-R isn't just a lot cheaper, more practical and better equipped.. its laptimes round the Ring and Hockenheim Short are virtually identical to the LFA's. Which makes the Lexus look even more ridiculous. Or to throw an even more expensive car into the mix: The Veyron may not be that fast round a track, but it's the fastest production car in the world. The LFA for all its attention to detail doesn't have a real highlight such as this.. except for its rarity, I guess.

S.

Plus money no object I would probably have a GT-R as my daily driver. I wouldn't give the LFA a second glance. For that kind of money I would want something that looks as special as its price and frankly it doesn't.

Plus money no object I would probably have a GT-R as my daily driver. I wouldn't give the LFA a second glance. For that kind of money I would want something that looks as special as its price and frankly it doesn't.

I like the GTR. A lot. But it doesn't rock my world in a way that a full blown supercar does (plus they're pretty common in Perth, so the novelty has probably worn off.) The three cars on tonights ep have the bedroom poster appeal to me.
(Althought the Aston to a lesser extent. Familiarity again I guess)

I like the GT-R because it's relatively discreet and more than a bit of a Q car. Money no object I'd still have an awesome car collection but I'd want something capable for daily use, rummage or no rummage.

MWF: Why not 911 ?

That was a good episode, the only thing I didn`t like was the final part.

I felt tempted to give it an 8, liked some things (55 mph joke, the backwards musical message, the GPS girl...) but overall feels a bit bland, a bit soulless, i don't know...besides, penis jokes...come on...

7/10 for me

I enjoyed it. those 3 cars look superb in those colours I must say.

Thennnnn there's the LF-A. Beautiful car, beautiful sound, beautiful colour, although I can't help but think that another car should have been brought along that hasn't been featured on the show yet like the other two.

Actually, I hated that color. Looked too cartoonish to me. But it's still a beautiful car. :)

Although the road trip wasn't the best, it was still good. I loved the ongoing joke about 55mph. :D

That was really funny to me. But they did what I, and frankly pretty much anybody else would do in that situation. "Why the F**** is the speed limit so low? *looks around* *Floors it*".

Solid 8, very good episode. I liked what James and Jeremy did to the Viper before leaving for the boarder... :D

Last edited:
I hated the 55mph joke. I lived through that entire era, a lot of it as a driver. It taught me one thing: ignore all speed limits. And let's have a good joke about the 70mph limit in Blighty while driving down, say, I-355 in Kansas (75 limit), the various locales where the limit is 80, or the new tollway in Texas. You can even do that in those countries or areas that still allow 130kph limits.

Hey, Jezza, our expressways are usually 55mph in urban areas. The Westway still 30?

Dull, dull episode. Would it have been enlivened if they got the Ferrari as planned? Doubtful.

I think I gave a too low score at first, but yesterday I was a bit disappointed. I stayed up late, watched some Top Gear (Pre-Season 6) before the show and somehow this didn't feel as good. The cars were nice, the guest was nice. However the aircraft chase seemed a bit prolonged, and the trip felt a little too fast, and didn't portray the distances traveled.

Don't get me wrong, Top Gear is still the best show around. But both the Bond documentary, and the Worst Car in the World was better than any of the episodes in this season so far.

wonderful episode
lovely cars (except: Aston Martin DB7 is the most beautiful Aston in my opinion and the previous Viper looks much better than the current).
brilliant guest (I like to drive on Fleetwood Mac ): Dr. Evil gesture+ billions!
@ -19:37 a guy in the audience(near the lap board) wearing a pink-black stripes sweater, just like James' .

I agree with many others. The episode was good /great in terms of music, cinematic, cars, ... What I think that was missing from this episode compared to the other 3 cars road trip, is the fact that we didn't have good enough information about the cars. Normally at the end of a typical road trip, we know what kind of car each is.

Examples:
16x01 (US trip): Porsche cheap compared to others, a bit mid life crisis, great in corners. The Ferrari was all round the best and the most beautiful. The Mercedes was the one for people with "passion" who like to be going sideways, ...
10x10 (Spain, Ascari): BMW was the best, great handling, great engine still the best consider them all. Mercedes had a terrific engine and probably the most fun to drive, the audi was the more secure but still a great car

Each car had his own characteristics and that made it special. At the end of this episode I still don't know which car is what? Why is the LFA the best? Is the Vanquish better then all Aston Martins and a great car all round? What about the Viper? etc. You don't get that from this episode and I think this is what's missing ...

And I also think it's a shame that Hammond didn't brought the new 911 (turbo?). I know he would be killed for this on this forum, but I want to know more about the car from them

Dull, dull episode. Would it have been enlivened if they got the Ferrari as planned? Doubtful.
Which Ferrari were they going to get and for which car if I may ask?

Last edited:
I agree with many posters here. I think the big issue with the road movie was that it was more a holiday movie this time. The three TG presenters going from event to event in nice cars, rather than a road trip to enjoy those cars. Too focused on the presenters, not enough on what this show is supposed to be about: cars and motoring.

That said, California looks quite brilliant. I don't know what the producers did, but the colors were very crisp and warm. I want to go there, today rather than tomorrow.