[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
Not Ferrari F12 ?

Slightly above average, so 6/10.

Nice cinematography (the heli work during the fighter scenes was spectacular) and a couple of good jokes.

Above all, it should be against some law to deliver an Aston in that colour and with those wheels. It is NOT beautiful!

8/10

Really liked the episode. Not much to complain about, shockingly. Although I was just watching an episode from series 2 where Jeremy brought out the anti-nodding-off device attached to his ear. Of all the segments of the show, the News segment should be the last one to rehash old stuff. Certainly they can find something else interesting in the car world to talk about for the whole 47 seconds that the News segment takes up nowadays.

MWF: Why not 911 ?

That was a good episode, the only thing I didn`t like was the final part.

They've never done it for me. Sure they are capable and well built but they don't give me the fizz.

Read this somewhere else; summed up my thoughts exactly:

Stream of consciousness:

I would like them to at least do some sort of review on cars they have for three segments. The climax of their "epic" road trip was them driving down a highway - and the whole laser tag thing was 3x as long as it should have been. It seems as if they have run out of ideas; every homogeneous episode follows the same exact blue print + a penis joke. It is sad that my favorite part of the episode was James' reaction after telling the joke about the stealth bomber, as it was the first genuine moment for a very long time; I hate being able to predict the dialogue before it is spoken. It seems each season gets gradually targeted at a younger and younger audience. I miss the glory days. It has been a while seen the show has even been about cars.

"In this episode, the boys answer a question no one was really asking: Can you buy an old car from the old USSR for less than 50p and travel from Moscow to Vladivostok?"

Boy I can almost already see the 3 battered old bags of bolts with dashboards written in russian, Clarkson shouting at some weird gearbox setup, Hammond falling in love with an old Lada, and James going mad at all the cold war relics and ghost towns. Let's not forget the Speed challenge! The guys must beat a time set by the Stig's russian cousin in a Morris Marina at the newly opened Moscow Raceway. :D
I would so watch that. But then I've always been a fan of cheap car challenges since they usually give the presenters a lot more to do that just drive around. At some point they usually have to be modified (the cars, that is), they break down a lot (still talking about the cars) and from my point it's just more entertaining to not know if some crappy 500 dollar 30th-hand japanese three-wheel-drive suzuki could actually make it across south america. Watching three perfectly working up to date supercars is interesing and nice to look at... for about five minutes, especially when everybody is going "omg mine is so perfect and yours too". And speaking of fake bashing - how about Richard's remarks towards the LFA? If I remember correctly he did a test of that car not that long ago and he quite liked it and now he had to bash it just to provide some contrast to James and Jeremy.
All in all I guess I liked this episode, however, as many others before me already mentioned, something was missing, something you can't put your finger on. It wasn't necessarily boring, but it wasn't that exciting either.

(...) The LFA for all its attention to detail doesn't have a real highlight such as this.. except for its rarity, I guess.
And its panel-gap sorry air-intake.

8/10, but Clarkson and Hammond should stop about May being boring, joke isn't funny 213123123 times each episode.

Like other people, I think there wasn't really anything wrong with the episode per se. But does anyone else get the feeling that the TG production team were burned quite badly by their first American road trip through the south and so, from now on, aren't dishing it out as much as they could? I get the sense that Americans, as a generalisation, don't like the piss being taken out of them quite so much as other Anglophone countries - in fact, some of them can get quite shitty about it some times.

But I bet not on Final Gear. I don't mind a jab from the Top Gear team. Usually, there is some truth in it. Nobody is perfect, no country is perfect. And BTW, we aren't as United as the name would lead you to believe. I think some parts of the US are full of nutjobs, and I'm sure they think the same of where I live.

BTW, I finally figured out what that Vanquish reminds me of. It's the color of Skype. The difference is SKype is free and the Aston is bloody expensive.

Boring. They stretched everything out as long as they could and still had to waste time with the incredibly stupid "fire extinguisher chair". Dumb even by Jeremy standards.

Also, I am almost positive that they edited Jeremy's call to the Lexus person to say that he had drawn a gentleman sausage on a storm drain--the woman on the other end was almost certainly his wife.

Like other people, I think there wasn't really anything wrong with the episode per se. But does anyone else get the feeling that the TG production team were burned quite badly by their first American road trip through the south and so, from now on, aren't dishing it out as much as they could? I get the sense that Americans, as a generalisation, don't like the piss being taken out of them quite so much as other Anglophone countries - in fact, some of them can get quite shitty about it some times.

Ah come on.. that's a load of shit. How did they get burned by their American trip episode? They went to Alabama.. and the worst part of Alabama.. and the result was exactly as I expected. Americans are (generally) known for not giving a crap about what people from other countries think about them, so your comment doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, the episode gets a 9/10 from me because I thought it was MUCH better and more entertaining than last week's. The best guest SIARPC that I've seen in a long time. The episode didn't feel quite as scripted or forced aside from a few portions. It was fun to watch.

I do agree the laser tag portion went on too long, though it had some spectacular visuals. They could've done more off-track shenanigans.. fun in Las Vegas or something. The finish to the race was surprisingly anti-climatic and cheap (given that they cheated from the onset). Looking forward to seeing the Mexico episode and also hopefully another America road trip in Pacific Northwest eventually (Seattle area).

Last edited:
So Sonia somehow turned into an understated British woman who says "oh my" in response to being told that you just drew a penis on a street?
Not british but she and many other women that I work with say "oh my". Trust me, we all have some go to phrases for when we don't have an actual answer. The one they give us as a base to start from in training is just "oh, I'm sorry to hear that" or "I'm sorry to hear you're having that issue" or something along those lines. Doesn't matter if you have an actual answer or not, say something so it's not silence then come up with an answer. Oh, and the fact that the first part of the call is a recording then you actually talk to the actual agent.

i couldn't stop staring at the girl behind hammond during the news segment. she was pretty hot. 9/10. the musical road part was hilarious

the musical road bit had me rolling. ;D

The episode was satisfying, but not the best.
I struggled with giving it a 7 or 8...
But I gave it a 7, because I try to compare it against episodes that did similar things and were more interesting.

The laser tag segment was too long, and so was the SIARPC...

All style, no substance. (Though I must say the style was particularly stylish this week; amazing!)

Started well with Richard bantering with the others, but I quickly had to ask myself what they were actually doing there. Fighter plane thing didn't really fit for me, would've been better as a stand alone film IMO.

Favourite part was when Jezza got the envelope at the end and said "But we've finished?!"

Finished what?? You never did anything! :blink: 6/10

To quote Jeremy in 8x07: "Bored. Bored. Bored. Bored. Bored. Boring. Boring. Dull. Tedious. Annoying." (I know he went on from there, but it's not relevant to this.) Also: Predictable outcome. *shakes head & rolls eyes*

Yes, you read that correctly. Me. Shellygrrl. Someone who generally champions the show (though I'm not averse to criticising it when I find it necessary) saying an episode was boring and predictable.

Just... no. They've done better.

One of the things I think was missing from this episode was the "story." The previous great road-trip episodes always told a story of the journey, showed their true passion for the cars and made you WANT to go do what they just did. While there were smatterings of this in tonights episode, it felt more like a bunch of fantastic footage strung together by cheap jokes and to fulfill a contract obligation... The care just didn't seem present - no emotion

THIS! :nod: Yes! None of that happened for me. I didn't give a shit about any of the cars, really.

This does seem very half-assed, IMO. I mean, so they're in contract for what, three more series or whatever it is? That's not an excuse for laziness.

I felt the whole show was sort of lack luster and dull. The planes were cool. I sat through the SIARPC for once and it reminded me why I usually skip over it. It wasn't awful overall, just blah, so I gave it a 6/10.

- - - Updated - - -

8/10, but Clarkson and Hammond should stop about May being boring, joke isn't funny 213123123 times each episode.
I'd say May is more interesting than either of them, but maybe that's part of the joke.

Does anyone know which part of the LA storm drain they filmed the three cars at? Cras streets?