[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
Have they ever had any of the cast on at all? I don't think so... that would be pretty awesome...

No, and I'm not sure if the cast or films are popular in the UK.
I could see Paul Walker showing up one day.

Also, if they do a drifting segment in Japan, I hope they use some music from the Wangan Midnight OSTs. <3

Have they ever had any of the cast on at all? I don't think so... that would be pretty awesome...

Err.. no.

Having someone on the show who worked on Bullitt, Mad Max, Le Mans, Grand Prix or Ronin would be awesome (they'd probably need a time machine for most of them though ;) ). Why should TG help promote a film series that turned car chases into cartoonish CGI-fests?

That said: I sure hope they'll do something on the upcoming James Hunt/Niki Lauda film by Ron Howard ("Rush").

S.

Err.. no.

Having someone on the show who worked on Bullitt, Mad Max, Le Mans, Grand Prix or Ronin would be awesome (they'd probably need a time machine for most of them though ;) ). Why should TG help promote a film series that turned car chases into cartoonish CGI-fests?

why shouldn't they?
Fast 5 was recent, really fun and featured some really cool cars.

why shouldn't they?

Probably because F&F embodies everything that they hate about car culture. Which, now that I think about it, could make for a pretty entertaining interview. Just please, not Paul Walker.

The Rock, on the other hand, I would pay to see interviewed by Jeremy.

Yeah.. remember stuff like the final bit during the Isle of Man Coupe-shootout (Porsche, Aston V8, BMW M6)? When they all sat down at the end and argued about the cars? What a great little moment. Quiet, authentic, brilliant.

You just made me watch 07x01 again :D (And it was brilliant! @_@)

Problem is that I must watch every single old episode now... Every time I finish one I play another... I can't stop ... help ._.

Last edited:
why shouldn't they?

Real cars doing real stunts.. that's why. Or next thing you know, you'll have a computer animator who worked on "Speed Racer" on the couch, talking about how cool it was to fake all the driving scenes in that one.. :D

Little reality check (and a good excuse to post these ;) ) .. this is what a good car scene looks like:

[video=youtube;-Lbs_nYW3-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lbs_nYW3-o[/video]

or this:

Haven't seen anything like that in F&F.

S.

Its great that they did another US road trip, but its all the usual cocking about, when will TGUK do crazy things again? Like driving off a cliff or blowing stuff up...

Real cars doing real stunts.. that's why. Or next thing you know, you'll have a computer animator who worked on "Speed Racer" on the couch, talking about how cool it was to fake all the driving scenes in that one.. :D

Little reality check (and a good excuse to post these ;) ) .. this is what a good car scene looks like:

<snip>

or this:

<snip>

Haven't seen anything like that in F&F.

S.

I prefer the chase from "French Connection". A large part of the bumps suffered by that Pontiac during the elevated train chase weren't even supposed to happen.

Its great that they did another US road trip, but its all the usual cocking about, when will TGUK do crazy things again? Like driving off a cliff or blowing stuff up...

You're right. I think we should fill in a complaint (this one will be slightly different than the usual complaints) because there aren't enough caravans getting smashed nowadays :(

I enjoyed the episode just ok. What pisses me off about when they go to America, is that they always go to stupid and boring places. Why go to Vegas again when they've already been there and Reno? I just don't get it.

Check out PCH in NorCal, Yosemite, the back roads of CO, etc. I hate when they go to Vegas.

I enjoyed the episode just ok. What pisses me off about when they go to America, is that they always go to stupid and boring places. Why go to Vegas again when they've already been there and Reno? I just don't get it.

Check out PCH in NorCal, Yosemite, the back roads of CO, etc. I hate when they go to Vegas.

yeah, i'm pissed too. They didn't play black jack 21 and drink scotch, like I'd hoped. ;(

These days, I think he's trying Jeremy's "I know better than everyone else" schtick and it doesn't work for him. For me, he comes across more naturally in his solo work these days.

I agree with this and not just for James either...it will be interesting in ep 3 to see how James and Richard are together in a race situation and compare their 'characters' to those on show in older races. The Richard in TG these days is almost unrecognisable (and not for the better) from the more natural Richard on view in Crash Course S2 - or even the full-on presenter inMiracles of Nature. Only Jeremy still seems to be essentially the same person as he was several years ago. Its all a bit sad really.

Ok episode but again... I don't know what is wrong with me but this felt like something was missing. Very bland.
Everything was ok. Challenge, news, guest but still...something something...

Posted this on e90post and thought I'll share:

Season 14 onwards has been a totally different experience in terms of what to expect, consistently.

The reviews don't engage my attention as they used to mainly because there is far too a kiddish approach taken by all three presenters. Very ironic because they look much older on the screen and definitely appear to have lost all interest in the series themselves. All driving scenes are morphed into digitized headache with a sprinkle here and there of fine cinematography. They can't drive fast anymore either, except in a straight line.

I thought the last truly great automotive piece was the Aston clip at the end of season 13. Jeremy barely spoke more than 15-20 words. Silence in that case was golden. I hope that TG rises back to that level of film making again and soon.

Sincerely,
Fan who's been through all seasons 5x over.

Last edited:
I think they stopped doing real reviews and real news because the Internet has completely flooded the market for that stuff. To stay special they had to do what Autoblog and the like couldn't, namely have ridiculous "challenges" and spend a lot of money on beautiful shots of them driving around exotic locales.

That said, though, it is a little disheartening that they treated this road trip as an example of them being serious and reviewing real cars. Because it sucked.

Agree...
IMO no better than the 1st EP, great camera work, but that is about it..

I thought it was dull for Top Gear UK...it this the best they can do....we all know it is not the best..

What ever happened to real car news and real car reviews of old, yes the interweb does it, but so it did 6 years ago.

Where is the technical news there has been some groundbreaking stuff of the past few years by mainstream car makers, but nothing said....

Disappointing, again IMO this looks like the last series.

I work with her 3-4 days a week, I think I know what she sounds like. Plus I work tomorrow so will be able to talk to her anyway. Got that grand handy?

Have you realized you're wrong yet? You can even tell that the video was clearly spliced together by watching the background over Clarkson's left shoulder.

Last edited:
While it was fun, I was disappointed about how they crapped all over the Viper. I know making fun of `merican cars is their shtick but I was really looking forward to a TGUK review of it (and hope it gets a proper one). It hasn't had a review since season 5.

Really, I'm almost surprised (almost) they didn't give the Aston crap for not going far enough with the new car. I mean it is desperately pretty, and the interior is very nice, but that V12 is hardly a powerhouse, and they could have done more with the car. Hard to stay mad at it when you lay eyes on that bodywork though.

The LFA may not be pretty, but what an engine, and what a sound it makes. Every time he revved it up is was music to my ears.

It was a good episode, I really enjoyed the laser tag, some good laughs (the penis joke was funny, so was the call Jeremy made to escape the planes). It just could have been better. Why did they go to that part of the country again? It's a pretty big country with lots of different backdrops. I mean TGUS has yet to do a show outside of the US and they can mix up the backdrops.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you want that TGUS just blew 3 cars up. Early in the season they literally took 3 cars off a cliff...well Adam tried to make his Mustang fly!

Last edited:
I mean TGUS has yet to do a show outside of the US and they can mix up the backdrops.

Well, TG USA just finished filming a special in Iceland, sooo...

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the last truly great automotive piece was the Aston clip at the end of season 13.

Fixed. :)

Having seen two episodes of the new series, I'm afraid to say I think the magic's gone. Hammond has been dumbed down to a ridiculous level (Like he wouldn't be standing there in awe of the Stealth Bomber like the others) and there's just a purveying sense of "going through the motions" about it.

I used to count the hours until a new TG, but now it's becoming a show I'll keep half an eye on whilst doing something else. I think the only time I laughed was at the sabotage of the Viper, and Richard's reaction "Yes, we're living in a cartoon"

Not feeling confident about an up turn in fortunes. It's all the more obvious given I watched a couple of older eps on Dave and still roared with laughter (the Fiesta test in Basingstoke's shopping centre)

Maybe this should be the last series.

we still don't have enough Top Gear UK in the HD era, so I hope they keep going for 10 more series. ;D
Even though I love SD era episodes most, it's not too awesome to watch stuff in SD on my screen.. ;(

oh, and I happen to enjoy series 19, even if it's a bit lacking.

Last edited:
The real issue has just occurred to me, because the lads now have stand alone interests that we see (Hammond's science programmes, James' man lab and Clarkson's books) we now know them more than we did. And now we find that the Top Gear "characters" don't gel with it.

Hammond is not a moron, James is not boring, and Jeremy is very smart. It's actually making me cringe to see things like the P45 and Hammond calling the STEALTH BOMBER a "silly little aeroplane"

And maybe now, two 50 year olds and a 40 year old "cocking about" is well, just a little tragic.