[19x03] February 10th, 2013

[19x03] February 10th, 2013

• Total voters
I wasn't really looking forward to this one for some reason, it seemed like it had the makings to be a let down but I really liked it and so far probably best of series.
The bit about how's their studio audience going to get to the show without their yobbo mobiles and James May revealing that he had a bicycle in his suitcase, lots to like in this episode.

To Jeremy, Richard, James, and Andy

That's how you do it. We don't need every episode to specifically repeat the past to be good (as this one did), but we do need the ingredients which were present in this episode (and most of Series 18):

1) let the cars be the stars 2) keep the cocking about to minimum, and don't force it, and 3) PASSION.

This episode made me want both a GT86 and a GT500. I can't give higher praise to a TG episode than that. Well done, chaps. Well done.

Addendum: Jeremy was even his proper self (and not a stylized buffoon) during the SIARPC segment, and it was refreshing to see.

Last edited:
was actually glad jeremy didn't spend the complete trip in the GT500 making low IQ/never left the island redneck jokes like he nomrally does w/ american cars. The little bit he did on carol shelby was nice too

The sound of the Mustang was terrific. The Toyota/Subaru car seemed very nice but the lack of traction they displayed during the testing make it seem absolutely ridiculous and maybe a bit dangerous to drive in the city. Sure it looks fun, but when do you get a chance to drive like that during normal commuting? More likely you'd end up hitting a tree..

SIARPC was better than usual and yeah.. chick was hot as hell.

The race was exciting even though it seemed to be a no-contest during part 1. Ended up being a bit uneventful though aside from James' surprise fold-up bike which was clever and took me by surprise. I don't quite understand how he managed to lose the race to Hammond with a bike.. but to be fair, it wasn't exactly a racing style bike. I was rooting for Jeremy but the ending felt authentic given the road construction.

The constant references to the US being "uncivilized" was pretty irritating but to be expected from Jeremy (one of the most uncivilized men in Britain). Also a bit annoying how his negatives on the Mustang were things that in previous reviews he gets excited about. Apparently Jeremy now prefers more comfort and luxury rather than POWERRRR and noise as his old self.

I gave it 8/10. I have to say I thought episode 2 was more fun to watch.

+ car review was informative. (Subaru <3)
+ The race was fun! Although, not too funny, but I found myself engrossed! ;D
+ Liked the Shelby history lesson.
+ SIARPC was cute and kept it interesting.
- News was mostly just idle jabber to me..

8/10

Last edited:
Frs bit was ok.

The race was 'been there done that'. Even the guys looked bored, same exciting 'riding the train for hours, running to another train, running to yet another train'... jc was driving the same road he did probably 10 times already, getting stuck in traffic as usual. They just looked like they were going through the motions... nice car though.

6/10 for me.

Better, much better. The magic is still there to call upon. The car review was very good (although I couldn't help but think the new Toyota/Subaru is very similar to the new Hyundai Coupe in the works (which is also rear drive) nice car though. Good cinematography for it too, felt like "proper" TG.

The race - WOW. I liked the fact that the "characters" were binned, and James' bicycle was a masterpiece of TG ingenuity and skulduggery. Thought the Shelby tribute from Jeremy was spot on, and it really made a difference to see him driving something that people might just be able to afford. I'd have the Knight Rider black version though.

SIARPC - I skipped. Celebrities do not interest me. She was a bit fit though :mrgreen:

I needed an episode like this to reaffirm my TG love. Bravo boys, Bravo.

I think the "race" was still pretty much staged and filmed in parts and was probably not really a race. How is it that James May is slower riding a bike on the street than Richard running through crowds in what looked like cowboy boots?

Because James had to stick to the roads and Hammond could dodge around buildings, junctions and alleyways?

What, nobody has made an animated .gif out of Jeremy's smile yet?

As for Jeremy saying that the Mustang ( a supercharged V8 ) is the most powerful road going V8 ever made... Mr. Clarkson, does the name Koeniggsegg tell you smoething (supercharged V8s ) Mustang 662bhp, Koeniggsegg 800 - 1100+

I really liked this episode. Interesting review, epic race and a great SIARPC. Never new that she was scottish, couldn't tell it from her music. :) 9/10

Finally a great episode.

I wasn't really into the other two, not too much to complain but they felt like it was missing something.

This one was perfect in my opinion, proof that if there are cars involved (without stupid going from A to B challenges), good scenarios and the right amount of cocking about the episodes turn out to be brilliant.

Does anybody know where I can download the edition of the "Fifty Shades of Grey" that Clarkson played in the Mustang during the race? :) I found one but the voice is different to what Clarkson was listening to....

At the risk of repeating what's already been posted on here:

Now, that's more like it!

Toyota review: Pretty good, although a bit short for my taste. Still: No real nonsense in that film and some good info on the car(s). Although I would've liked JC to delve a bit deeper into the background of the Toyota/Subaru cooperation.
Just one thing: Why are Subaru and Toyota building the same car, only to have it competing against itself in the market? "Buy ours because our badge is prettier"? I didn't get it...

Exactly. I don't get it either. No difference in styling, power, engine-type, setup or even interior. So why do we even get a choice between the Subaru and Toyota-badge? It boggles the mind.

News was longer than usual and also pretty good. Mostly car-related, the jokes were mostly funny, and the whole conversation felt natural. Good effort.

SIARPC: What a charming, pretty, cute and modest celebrity. *And* she loves cars *and* knows how to drive. I think I'm in love - but reading previous comments on here, I guess I'd have to get in line .. ;)

Race: It sounds corny, but the race was more or less exactly what I had hoped for. They used a setup I've been wanting to see for years (JC in a relatively cheap car). And what a great car it is. I mean, sure: It probably is unrefined (I only drove a 2005, non-Shelby Mustang and that thing was pretty agricultural), but if there was a prize for character in a car, the Shelby Mustang would be a hot contender. I also liked how they included their tribute to Shelby in this film. It wasn't very long, but I think the old man himself would've loved the way they did the tribute while actually using a Shelby car in a trans-continental race.

I'm slightly disappointed with the outcome. They should've let JC use the tunnel to make it a closer race. I mean: He did use the tunnel in most of the other races.

Overall: 8/10 ...

... I just hope they can sustain this level of quality throughout the remainder of the series.

What, nobody has made an animated .gif out of Jeremy's smile yet?

Yup.. that thing begs to be converted to gif-format. That's probably why they included the shot and held it as long as they did in the first place.. ;)

S.

Last edited:
Yeah...But you didn't have any problems with those constant French/France-mocking jokes?

Exactly. I don't get it either. No difference in styling, power, engine-type, setup or even interior. So why do we even get a choice between the Subaru and Toyota-badge? It boggles the mind.

Well, in some ways the car is a Toyota, and in others, it's a Subaru. If they split the development cost, then it only makes sense that they'll split the profits. At that point it will come down to which brand did a better job with their image. The sort of people who'll be browsing the Toyota dealerships for a new car are going to be very different from the sort of people who browse the Subaru lots. At least around here anyway. So in a sense, they're able to sell the car to very different customer bases.

Of course, with all the hype the car has gotten, I don't think there is anyone left who hasn't already heard all about it.