[19x03] February 10th, 2013

[19x03] February 10th, 2013

• Total voters
Am I the only one who doesn't want a car that has absolutely no grip?

Nope, you're not.

That said: I wonder just how tail-happy this thing is on the road and with the traction control engaged. That review made it look like a 1970's Capri - which I'm sure it isn't.

Seen a few Mustangs around though, so someone is importing them over here.

Like I said: Same over here. You can get them and I've seen quite a few Mustangs here in Munich, but you can't get them from Ford. I also don't know if Ford even services those cars and if you get any kind of warranty from them (since they don't import them officially).

Well, in some ways the car is a Toyota, and in others, it's a Subaru. If they split the development cost, then it only makes sense that they'll split the profits.

Fair points, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind all this. I mean: They could've split the profits without selling the same car under two different names.
It's a bit like if GM sold the Astra both under the Vauxhall- and Opel-label in the UK. Sticking with the GM-example: They did something similar with the Opel Speedster/Vauhall VXR which were more or less just rebadged Lotus Elises. But the GM-models at least had different styling and different interiors.

*shrug*

S.

Last edited:
"What's the point of all this? It might as well tell me the weather forecast for Adelaide..."

HA!!! Made my day!! Screw you every other larger and more interesting capital city in Australia.

And Jeremy, Adelaide is going to be 34? and Sunny. Absolutely the best time of the year to be living in or visiting Adelaide. The Clipsal 500 is just around the corner. Ken Block is a support feature and Kiss and Motley Crue are the main bands.

Thanks for asking. :)

Last edited:
A pretty good episode, just bored of the many2 GT86/BRZ reviews n vids out there, and one of the main reason to watch TG is cos they have access to the more 'spectacular' cars. Still the toyobaru does set the standard for an entry level fun car ever since the Nissan Silvia left us many years ago.

SIARPC is great, a beautiful, talented musician and only 25, and yes have had all the 3 different types of R8, and owns a 458, and did 1.44... on the lap, can't beat that :)

Race is ok, I agree with some of the comments here and they didn't focus enough on the landscape, the mountain roads and the car definitely deserves more detail other than the basic Carol Shelby story.
Hopefully it gets better next week :)

Admittedly a couple extra points for the hot, car liking singer guest I'd never heard of.

Our first "4" in the ratings eh?? ...

Care to convince us? 'cause I think you can't.

Now that you've brought it up.. it really doesn't sound right.

Damp track, relatively heavy, not super-powerful car, skinny tires, tail-happy setup...

When you look at the laptimes of cars with similar power (Civic Type R, Golf GTI, etc.) it seems even less credible. They're slightly older, yes, but both the Honda and the VW were timed on a dry track and are supposedly 1 - 2 seconds slower .. hmmm.

For comparison: A German car mag timed the GT at 1:21.5 on Hockenheim Short. The same mag timed a Type R at 1:21.2 and a MK V GTI at 1:19.6 - both in 2007.

S.

Yes, also the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo which makes the same power ast the FT86 (200bhp) but weighing somewhere between 600-800 lbs less did the exact same time in dry conditions. Such a discrepancy could be explained by stating that the GT86 is a great handling car, but the VX220 is no slouch in that department and was Top Gear's and JC's top car back when it first came out. Suffice is to say, I dont see how the GT86 put down those times... it would be very very difficult for it to do that on a dry track, with track tires, and optimal conditions... but on a damp track on skinny non-performance tires... that's just not possible.

Heavy? The GT86 is a heavy car?
Depending on the gearbox and stuff you ticket on the box of the order form it weighs about 1250kg.
That is extremely light for today's standards. If I haven't mistaken you, a Vauxhall is about 600 to 800 lbs leigher? Thats some hundreds of kilograms...

Please say a bit if I misunderstood something here, I'm confused.

Last edited:
Yes, also the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo which makes the same power ast the FT86 (200bhp) but weighing somewhere between 600-800 lbs less did the exact same time in dry conditions. Such a discrepancy could be explained by stating that the GT86 is a great handling car, but the VX220 is no slouch in that department and was Top Gear's and JC's top car back when it first came out. Suffice is to say, I dont see how the GT86 put down those times... it would be very very difficult for it to do that on a dry track, with track tires, and optimal conditions... but on a damp track on skinny non-performance tires... that's just not possible.

One part of the answer: different Stig.

Rubbish Stig

- - - Updated - - -

Rubbish Stig

Depending on the gearbox and stuff you ticket on the box of the order form it weighs about 1250kg.
That is extremely light for today's standards. If I haven't mistaken you, a Vauxhall is about 600 to 800 lbs leigher? Thats some hundreds of kilograms...

The 600 - 800 lbs quote wasn't from me ... but:

It referred to the Vauxhall VXR (or Opel Speedster to us Germans), which was basically a Lotus Elise with an Opel-/Vauxhall-badge. According to sport auto, the Turbo-version (200hp) weighed in at 928 kg, which is roughly 300 kg less than the GT86.

Also: 1250kgs isn't really light for a small coupe with "just" 200hp and 205 Nm of torque. Ignoring the fact that in the other tests I quoted, both the Civic and GTI (identical power but heavier and 5 years older) were faster than the GT86 round the same track, just look at the power-to-weight ratios for the GT86 (6.25kg/hp) and the VXR/Speedster (4.6kg/hp). That's a huge difference. Plus (as stated before), the three other cars were tested by TG on a dry track - the GT86 was timed on a damp one.

S.

Had a rewatch as promised. Enjoyed the episode, and I like the variety of having an old-school race. But I didn't enjoy it any more (or less) than the first couple of episodes. The review was too short and the race was not as exciting as some of the others they have done.

Perhaps nostalgia for the race is masking these shortcomings for some? Or, of course, they just like different stuff. Who knows.

Pretty good episode all around.
Review: Skipped over the GT-86 review because the car could be made out of gold but since it has a Toyota badge on it I just don't give a fuck.
News: Nothing special or really funny about it at all, although it is quite mind-boggling that Subaru is going to stop selling the Impreza in the UK?
Race: I'm not really shocked that Clarkson lost, but I was kind of surprised that he didn't bitch and moan during the entire segment about how bad he thinks the car is. On the plus side, the mini-montage they did about Shelby was very well done given it was only about 90-120 seconds long. It would be interesting to see what kind of 7-8 minute tribute video the TG crew could put together about Shelby if they did that well in 2 minutes.
SIARPC: I thought women who look like that and love those kinds of cars were a myth. God, if only I could find someone who is that into cars and actually enjoys driving instead of being on twitter or playing games on her iphone.

Pretty good episode all around.
Review: Skipped over the GT-86 review because the car could be made out of gold but since it has a Toyota badge on it I just don't give a fuck.

Then you missed out on the one with the Subaru badge! :p

I think they should have showed a bit more of Milan in the race--they've never been there, and they made Oslo look brilliant in the SLR race back in 2005. Surely Jeremy drove by some cool landmarks? I don't think they had any helicopter shots of the car either, right? It looked like they used canned shots of TGV trains only, probably for budget reasons.

The whole premise was also kind of weird--Hammond got go to a match but they didn't show anything happen there or do anything with it? Why not have a better finish line where the car wouldn't just sit in boring traffic at the end?
Couldn't agree more and I also think he should picked another car (the new Ferrari F12 Berlinetta)

Because of those 2 reasons: 8/10

Couldn't agree more and I also think he should picked another car (the new Ferrari F12 Berlinetta)

And if you can find one that costs GBP35000, more power to you.