[19x04] February 17th, 2013

[19x04] February 17th, 2013

• Total voters
10/10 -- Classic TG.

Look, as much as I wish they could be, they all can't be full of challenges, adventures, and excursions. That being said, this episode was PACKED with cool stuff.

On a side note, anyone see Hamsters tight security detail in Mexico?

http://imageshack.**/a/img688/2162/111amy.jpg

http://imageshack.**/a/img221/4523/222cpq.jpg

http://imageshack.**/a/img24/7130/333fe.jpg

Gave it 10/10.. no real complaints, it was entertaining. Actually my main complain is that the Mexico segment seemed uneventful and short, but I'm just glad they followed up on the American episode.

If I'm honest, 10/10 is probably overrated (especially since I normally don't give ANYTHING 10/10) but I guess I was just excited that it held my interest throughout and it had a fast pace. And because I felt I needed to make up for my low ratings for some of the previous episodes.

All in all, solid hour with a bunch of fun surprises.

6.5/10, but not gonna round it up, so 6.
I never comment on anything really, but I just have to.

First off - 6.5? Really?
Second - rounding UP means that you INCREASE the number. Going from 6.5 to 6 is rounding DOWN.

I know that my comment might come off as a bit retarded, but your comment just bothered me.

As far the episode goes. I think it was great. A solid 9. I thought that the rugby bit will be deja vu just like the other 2 (or 3 times) that they did something similar, but it was surprisingly very entertaining.

No Stig in the Mastretta. Whats that about?

Glad to see they made a proper episode though. The last few have been a bit disapointing. This one had more than 2 features, and thats good.

Last edited:
Second - rounding UP means that you INCREASE the number. Going from 6.5 to 6 is rounding DOWN.
He said "but not gonna round it up, so 6."

Episode had its moments, I liked the cameos in the KIA piece. The hatchbacks were mildly entertaining, I just have no interest in those cars. Mexico bit was also ok. I saw that car at the autoshow and Hammond was too nice to it. It physically looks like a kit car with huge panel gaps, and cheap looking materials. But he was giving them the benefit of the doubt and that this is their first homegrown car. Lame that the Stig didn't do a lap.

Rugby game was probably a lot more fun to participate in than watch. That's how I feel about all of these auto sports matches. They never make for good tv.

7/10, because it had some real highs and lows.

Highs:
- Hot hatch comparison. Very much "old" Top Gear - straightforward, to the point. Nicely done.
- The news. Take away the prolonged handbrake turn bit (come on, you already did this in Season 13), and it too, was surprisingly straightforward, to the point, and about cars.
- Kia Cee'd part 1. The ol' "Mr. Needham" sensible reviews bit, eh? Well, unlike the others in that style, this one wasn't dragged out, and it actually showed Jeremy giving (gasp) factual information about the car. The Eric Clapton bit was just a nice cherry.
- The Mastretta. Don't look now, but not only did Top Gear just do a sensible review of a sports car away from the track, but Hammond actually was reviewing as though he was back in Season 4 or 5. Do you see, Andy? Let them just get back to doing reviews!

Lows:
- SIARPC. I don't mind Lewis. The interview itself was ok. But this gets a low from me because I do not believe for one second that time is legit. Either the car is now drastically dissimilar to the one driven in all the other F1 laps, or this was just fudged. You mean to tell me that Lewis is somehow more than one second faster than every other F1 driver -previous and current- who tried their hand at this car on this lap? I call complete and utter bull unless somehow the producers or JC can provide an otherwise legitimate explanation.

- Kia rugby. My god, it was long, boring, and just slow (until the very end, when it actually had some pace).

Of course this means I need to amend my scores from previous episodes in this series.
Ep1 was 7/10, now is 6/10 (because they weren't into it).
Ep2 was 7/10, now is 5/10 (because they had all the ingredients for a great episode, but because they weren't into it at all it really showed in the end result)
Ep3 was 9/10 and still is, because epic race, dammit!

Last edited:
Anyone know what road that was in Mexico where they did the Mastretta review??? I sort of want to take a road trip to Mexico now ... o_O

Its called La Rumorosa, is the road you take from Tijuana to get to Mexicali. Very dangerous and pretty.

1 second isn't that much of a stretch. If he's been doing nothing but practicing that lap in his spare time in a simulator, it's entirely plausible.

actually found it very great

News: was good, found the handbrake jokes very funny,

Hot hatch: it was fun(in my country, car guys dont drive Opels/vauxhall, they drive everything else)

Hamilton: it was good to see him again

Kia Cee?d part 1: it was good to see them review a normal car, the cameos where great,
that is one of the most sold cars (of its segment) in my country mostly because of the 7 year warranty

That Mastretta: the review was good, the build quality is really bad, looked okay, the bonnet jumping wtf, that is basic quality things gone wrong

Kia Rugby:i found it to be very fun,
but i have actually tryed something like that

1 second isn't that much of a stretch.

In this car, on this track and considering the competition 1.1 seconds is a *huge* gap.

a car on studio

Dang.. how could I forget that one? Having a car/prototype in the studio and actually discussing it was a welcome return to "old-new TG".

Another thing that stuck with me is how packed the show seemed compared to what they usually do these days. Again: This felt much more like "old-new TG". The only bit that dragged (for me) was the rugby.

S.

Last edited:
Gonna go for a 7. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would actually, as I don't really care for rugby and I think Hamilton is a dick, but the hot hatch reviews were well done (no 135i tho, but I guess it would be too expensive), news was funny, and the Kia test, while being something of a rehash of previous segments, still seemed fresh and had some great moments such as the cameos.
The rugby bit went on a bit too long for me personally, but I'd agree with others that the guys seemed more back to their old selves again in this one

Classic Top Gear.
I love it when they do a proper feature on normal cars. Tonight we got two.
Lewis: Meh, although it was interesting to hear that Mclaren really pushed him in regards to sponsor commitments.
Mastretta: Good review and a fair one for a new start up. They highlighted the flaws without hammering them for it. Could any Mexicans here tell me how likely theaverage cashed up Mexican is going to support it?

Gave it a 6.

The hatchback review was decent, the news was pretty off topic but that's an improvement over the other weeks, the Masretta review was pretty boring but it ended quickly, car rugby would've been fine if it was a bit shorter.

You mean to tell me that Lewis is somehow more than one second faster than every other F1 driver

Everyone says he is "one of the fastest EVER", especially when it comes to comparisons over one single lap. Plus, he did do 1:44:7 on a wet track so his dry time seems legit.

7. the last few minutes upgraded the 6 rating i was going to give it :)

YEEEEEEEES!!! TG IS BACK BABY! :D

The thing that annoyed me about the first 3 eps is the lack of content and some awkwardness between the presenters, but this one was jam packed with segments and felt like proper, old Top Gear.

-A nice hot hatch test
-News was funny and not awkward
-It was great to see the boys talking about a car I've never heard of (that copper Peugeot)
-The Cee'd review was just awesome (especially the cameos :D) and much better than the Fiesta and Twingo reviews from before
-Lewis Hamilton was entertaining (I think he got such a good time because he probably had lots of practice, I'm sure if the other drivers had that much time to prepare a lap they could improve their times by a second or more)
-Richard did a good, proper review of the Tortilla :)P) without too much cocking about with the Mexico issue (and those parts were actually not bad at all)
-Finally a nice, funny, and action packed car rugby segment to end the show.

9.5/10

Well done boys, well done and keep up the good work! :clap:

Good but far from great TG this time around. The hot-hatch segment couldve been a bit longer and with another or so car and the rugby bit couldve been much much shorter or not at all. I skipped most of it anyway, it was just a long deja-vu with destruction of perfectly good cars. And Hammond was very nice about the Mastreta, a bit too nice IMO. One could see from the camera angles how horribly built the car is and the "minor" bonnet rattling heh, the thing was shaking and rattling like it was about to fall off any second. But I guess I do understand why he was holding back and he did say it wasnt a finished product.

Last edited: