[19x04] February 17th, 2013

[19x04] February 17th, 2013

• Total voters
It's not often I praise TG for a good episode because they tend to take the easy route most of the times, this one however got a 9 out of me.

- 3 car test: very well done, informative and entertaining
- news: just good
- Cee'd: wasn't sure where it would be going but it turned out great although at times they went overboard a tiny tad
- SIARPC: yes
- Mexican bit: no really annoying "humour" and quite good

However. The rugby bit being overdone, boring and far too long and the fact that May had no "solo" part in it is a let down. Would that rugby bit not have been there (or at least significantly shorter) making way for an item made by James then it would be the perfect episode to me. You don't need fancy cars, it's useful but not at all needed.

A really entertaining episode. The hot hatch comparo was interesting, the Kia test was fun ( particularly with those cameos) and the rugby was hilarious (although I can't believe that Twickenham let them do that to the ground). Best car football they have done.

8/10

The SIARPC was a huge disappointment! :cry: What was closer to a 10 has dropped back to an 8. The KIA test was the best, the Mastretta was too short! I gave Ep1 a 10, Ep 2,3,4 8s that is 34/40. Enjoyable nonetheless! :)

love the episode, well rounded bit of cars bit of laughs
gave it an 8/10

it would be a 12/10 if they took the hot hatches on a road trip across uk or europe and visited a track on the way

Very well done. Mostly free from the "we don't care anymore" rubbish, except for James drawing the penis at halftime. The segments were nice and short and clean, unlike the formula in recent years of having one film that lasts for 40+ minutes. Jeremy also tweeted that he felt this episode was the best in a long while, and I would agree.

With reference to the Twickenham pitch, which many people have mentioned, I can only assume the Kia rugby match was played last summer (the weather looked crap enough) immediately prior to the turf being relaid or the hybrid natural/artificial pitch with which they replaced it is REALLY hard wearing:

With the advent of artificial pitches in the 1980s grass seemed to have had its day, but new hybrid technology is giving it a new lease of life.

When England beat Calcutta'Cup rivals Scotland at Twickenham earlier this month in the RBS Rugby Six Nations, both teams could be sure that the playing surface was in immaculate condition.

The pitch, maligned over the years, was re-laid last summer but rather than opting for a traditional grass surface, the stadium's owners, the Rugby Football Union, opted for a hybrid pitch. This combines the strength and robustness of an artificial pitch with the pleasing aesthetics and forgiving properties of a grass surface.

The above taken from the magazine of the Institute of Engineering and Technology, which won't let me link to it, unfortunately

Am I the only one, or does anyone else experience this sync problem (audio vs. video) towards the end with the 720p rip?

With reference to the Twickenham pitch, which many people have mentioned, I can only assume the Kia rugby match was played last summer (the weather looked crap enough)

You can tell it was last summer since the BA 737 that flew past in the segment had the old paint scheme that was completely phased out by last August.

Massive bonus points for the Clapton and Willis cameos. Otherwise a pretty down-to-earth episode.

The Vauxhall is the prettiest of the trio. Where was the GTI?

9/10, very entertaining. Hot hatches were ok, "local guitarrist" and mr McClane gave something special to the Ceed's "sensible" review. Great to see Lewis do a proper lap, i knew he would be amazingly fast, his original time was outstanding considering the conditions of the track. Car rugby was hilarious and very TG. Haters gonna hate...

Best TG ep in a while!

9 from me!

I really liked the episode apart from the car rugby part. That let down an other wise great episode.

8/10.

Where was the GTI?

Old model. I don't know about the UK, but in Germany, VW currently offers no Golf GTI. The Golf Mk. VII came out in late 2012 and traditionally the GTI hits the showrooms around April/May of the following year (in this case 2013). Plus: With "only" 210 hp, the Mk. VI GTI wouldn't have been a good fit for that group anyway. IIRC, those cars are all in the 250-260 hp range. The Scirocco R would've been a better candidate WRT power, but even though it's not *really* a coup?, it's not really a hatchback either.

S.

Last edited:
9/10

The rugby section wasn't as entertaining as I expected (Soccer Aygos was better IMO). And Top Gear really just needs to forget about Mexico unless they have proper cars to offer.

I just realized that I joined this site exactly nine years ago to the day!

Top Gear is FINALLY back. The first two episodes were a joke, last week was so close to perfection and they have now hit their stride..... with one episode left to go. :(

Well, watching 19x04 made me happy. Mission accomplished. No need to dissect it into what I liked and didn't like. Overall it left me in a good mood.

I never comment on anything really, but I just have to.

First off - 6.5? Really?
Second - rounding UP means that you INCREASE the number. Going from 6.5 to 6 is rounding DOWN.

I know that my comment might come off as a bit retarded, but your comment just bothered me.

As far the episode goes. I think it was great. A solid 9. I thought that the rugby bit will be deja vu just like the other 2 (or 3 times) that they did something similar, but it was surprisingly very entertaining.
Read what I say, I said a 6.5/10 but I'm not going to round it up for the voting here, so I voted a 6 here. Exactly what you describe there so I don't see any problems?

A 6.5 because the whole Cee'd part was just terrible, been there, done that and felt like an advertisement for the Kia Cee'd. The SIARPC was segment also not great and it should've been better if he joined with some other F1 driver as this was too short and pretty much uninteresting. The mexico part wasn't bad, but not great either. The 3 car segment was by far the best, but I think they could've checked/mentioned a few more cars, the whole segment started off very well but ended a bit mediocre.

Oh, and the news was OK, but nothing special. Best part of this episode was the horse meat comment :)

Last edited: