[19x04] February 17th, 2013

[19x04] February 17th, 2013

• Total voters
Pretty good, but TG US is getting better and better, TG UK better watch out.

Honda Jazz? Nissan Pixo? Ford Fiesta?

I always felt that they're trying to go for cars that were kind of "left field", a bit odd/tacky .. in short: easy to mock. Silly names, small makers and an "exotic" status on the UK market are a plus. The Lacetti fit that bill perfectly IMO: Tacky name, wanna-be Chevrolet, not very good looking and certainly not a common sight on European streets. That's why I don't think they'd ever use a VW Polo, Renault Clio or Ford Fiesta.

I think it's similar to how they handle their studio and its "decorations": It's not a flash place but a simple hangar.. they sit on old car-seats not on some hugely expensive desiger-sofas.

I also think that they deliberately avoid cars with sporting credentials. Personally, I think the Twingo RS would be a great choice. It's certainly reasonably priced, small and has a great chassis. And while it's not hugely powerful, it's still quite fast. Would be interesting to see what kind of laptimes the guests could achieve in this one.

S.

I just have to point out, I really do not know JC's hate for the Vectra's. Ok it looked a bit dull and V6 ones don't corner very well, but come on, look at the Primera from that era, it even looks less desirable (Sorry Primera guys if I had to step on your tie). I did own a 96' Vectra seven years ago and it was a very good car, to look at and drive (until I had a large accident in it), didn't developed any rust anywhere.

Other than that, good episode, I really enjoyed the KIA rugby game :lol: , but I don't want to know how much it had cost, must've been jolly expensive. :p

I just have to point out, I really do not know JC's hate for the Vectra's. Ok it looked a bit dull and V6 ones don't corner very well, but come on, look at the Primera from that era, it even looks less desirable (Sorry Primera guys if I had to step on your tie). I did own a 96' Vectra seven years ago and it was a very good car, to look at and drive (until I had a large accident in it), didn't developed any rust anywhere.

JC has always said that his hatred for the Vectra stemmed from the fact that it made no pretense about being anything other than a car designed by committee. It didn't bother to hide that fact from anyone. For him, it was the ultimate designation that the person who bought it just didn't give two shits about cars or how they appeared to the world when driving one. The Vectra was a car completely devoid of the thing he regards as most important in a car: soul. It was such a black hole that it sucked the soul out of anyone who owned one. The rancid cherry on top of the manure cake was the fact that it bore a British badge. Yes, he knew and we all know that it was an Opel, but that Vauxhall badge was the killer. It didn't help that GM worldwide (with the possible exception of Holden) was a massive pile of suck at the time.

Remember what Richard said about the Nissan Sunny back in, I believe, 02x01? It had no character and there was nothing interesting about it? Same principle here, only worse due to the badge. A lot of us have good personal experiences with driving bland cars. Rick's got his Saturn, for instance. I have very fond memories of my Dodge Shadow. You've got yours with your Vectra. But the Vectra represents a personal affront to what JC finds important in a car. If Opel/Vauxhall had tried, even a little bit, he would have been more forgiving. But it was evident in everything, from the appearance to the equipment to the ride, that they hadn't.

9/10 ... I liked the ... "packedness" of it. Reminded me of S10.

Now that's how to do the second to last corner, absolutely majestic, IMO the secret behind that gained second.
The Fiesta was the best "Needham" review but that's because it was the first one and they had all the ideas to explore. This wasn't bad, quite funny.
Good news.
Someone suggested the Mastretta review should've eaten a bit off of the rugby segment ... I most definitely agree.
That field was, ruined o_O

I really don't feel like nit-picking this series, I'm just happy I get to watch TG every Sunday.

I always felt that they're trying to go for cars that were kind of "left field", a bit odd/tacky .. in short: easy to mock. Silly names, small makers and an "exotic" status on the UK market are a plus. The Lacetti fit that bill perfectly IMO: Tacky name, wanna-be Chevrolet, not very good looking and certainly not a common sight on European streets. That's why I don't think they'd ever use a VW Polo, Renault Clio or Ford Fiesta.

Good News! The Dacia Sandero seems to fit the bill. It'd be funny if they could get one as their next reasonably priced car, kind of a punch line to their running-gag. :lol:

Good News! The Dacia Sandero seems to fit the bill. It'd be funny if they could get one as their next reasonably priced car, kind of a punch line to their running-gag. :lol:

Well, that's what I was saying a few posts up as well. To repeat myself: How much more reasonably priced than a Sandero can you get? :D

Well, that's what I was saying a few posts up as well. To repeat myself: How much more reasonably priced than a Sandero can you get? :D

According to Richard Porter in the 'Ambitious but Rubbish' TG book the plan was to have the Sandero as the RPC when the Lacetti was retired. Renault/Dacia were going to launch the car in the UK then and were very keen for TG to use the car and had also offered to get it kitted out with the safety equipment at their Clio Cup race Division. Unfortunately due to the recession the launch was pulled and as TG won't use a car that isn't for sale in the UK they went with the Kia instead. Personally I don't like the Kia - it seems almost too mainstream for me - not quirky enough.I Have a feeling now that Dacia may have missed the boat unless TG carries on after the present contracts expire.

The Cee'd will need to be replaced sometime pretty soon, though, if previous form is anything to go by. I think the Sandero having just launched as well as the whole TG association would make it a prime candidate to be the replacement.

The only problem I see is that they won't be changing the RPC for another 2 seasons, and with the current Sandero already out since 2012, it may seem a bit old-hat by the time they get a new RPC in 2014. Unless Dacia gives it a mid-life nip/tuck lol

Watching Lewis' lap again was so satisfying.

4-wheeling it into the penultimate was sooooooooooo smoooth. So much style, so Hamilton.

According to Richard Porter in the 'Ambitious but Rubbish' TG book the plan was to have the Sandero as the RPC when the Lacetti was retired. Renault/Dacia were going to launch the car in the UK then and were very keen for TG to use the car and had also offered to get it kitted out with the safety equipment at their Clio Cup race Division.

Interesting. That would've given some "meaning" to their constant bashing of the Sandero.

Personally I don't like the Kia - it seems almost too mainstream for me - not quirky enough

I've driven both of them and the Sandero is as bland as the Cee'd.. well, almost. I know it's a matter of opinion, but both of them had that typical feel about them that tells you that you've entered the "cheap seats zone".. if that makes sense.. :) However: The Sandero does have two things going for it: The price, and the fact that Renault/Dacia aggressively market it as a "cheap" car. It doesn't make any excuses for what it is. And that's probably the main reason why it would make the perfec reasonably priced car IMO.

S.

Last edited:
To remind people who are complaining about the Cee'ds and Sportages being trashed in the car rugby segment:

Cars used on TG are generally what are called, in the industry, "press beaters," ones that don't have a full VIN and thus can't be titled and sold, built before the start of full production specifically for the press to review. They live a hard, short life, and then, after they're no longer being used to give the press chances to drive the cars for review, they go to the crusher. I'd be willing to bet that those Kias were all used-up press beaters that were due to be crushed, anyway, and thus Kia really didn't care how much damage was done to them.