[19x05] February 24th, 2013

[19x05] February 24th, 2013

• Total voters
You only need to delay your audio sync by .10 seconds, I didn't notice it for most of the show.

Hmm...I didn't notice anything "off" when I watched it the first time...and I just tried that adjustment....and now it seems "off."

When the News is the best part of the show, you have either one of two conditions: a really, really, really excellent show (12x06, for instance), or something that should be rolled away by a dung beetle and buried. This was the latter. Nothing really worked.

Just a reminder: If the special turns out to be epic, no one has any right to say that the season was salvaged. Remember, Bolivia didn't save Season 14.

I am watching it now and so far I would give it a negative # based upon the old people carrier alone. Terrible episode so far.

I read the comments here and was bracing myself for something truly horrible, but... I must be an easy to please person, because I quite liked it!

I watched this with my 58yr old mother and she loved the "Rover" Multipla :D

I was right about just how miserable that Multipla bit was. "Tedious" best describes this episode.

The Range Rover test was fantastic, though.

5/10

Edit: Also, while I'm looking forward to the Africa special, the two-week split is painful. With any luck, it won't feel drawn out.

Last edited:
Kept bouncing between 7 and 8, in the end I gave it an 8.

Not my favorite ep, but James' review of the Range Rover was great, the news was good, and many parts of the "pensioner-mobile" were pretty good.

I enjoyed when Jeremy opened his drawer and it was all hammers. And then he is doing all of the interior modifications - just banging on things with bigger and bigger hammers. That was great.

Cat burial on the roof, Flare gun on the roof, speedo, "Don't overdo it," lots of little laughs here and there.

And of course I've never seen a vehicle quite so hideous to begin with. :)

I guess I was expecting more laughs out of that whole segment, but looking back, it wasn't really that bad.

When the News is the best part of the show, you have either one of two conditions: a really, really, really excellent show (12x06, for instance), or something that should be rolled away by a dung beetle and buried. This was the latter. Nothing really worked.

Just a reminder: If the special turns out to be epic, no one has any right to say that the season was salvaged. Remember, Bolivia didn't save Season 14.

You are seriously comparing this series to series 14?

You are seriously comparing this series to series 14?

Yes. It's been subpar from start to finish. There hasn't even been significant saving graces on the level of Romania or the Lancia film. It's been their worst season since 14.

the sound sync isnt a problem

its the very poor sound quality

its like recorded off a cheap tv from asda

downloading the repack

There's an interesting spread of scores and opinions here. Those hoping for serious car stuff want to give it a low score overall - James' excellent review being overwhelmed by the nonsense stuff that this group can't abide. However, those who watch the show for a bit of car related fun (the beige bit) and, say, an amiable old bloke with long hair in a new Range Rover racing a crew-cut robo-truck up a hill, would be thoroughly entertained and giving it a good score overall despite the SIARPC (which I skipped).

So, two expectations, two very divided opinions and two peaks on the scoreboard.

Not a great episode, but better than the first 2 of this season. I actually quite enjoyed the Fiat Multipla bit, but the stars were the three ladies who went along with the gag. This was the best part of the show.

The Range Rover ad went along a bit too long and wasn't very informative (lots of style, little substance). The race was a bit long winded too.

SIARPC seemed to enjoy himself, but was boring and that segment also included a plug for a rubbish movie (an all too common feature on the show that really grinds my gears).

5/10

For me the highlight was the Range Rover review, after all the dreary youtube range rover reviews it's nice to see it finally get the film it deserves, and now I want one.
The Old people's car, not bad I was reasonably entertained some good gags and what not and it finished well though James May didn't seem to have much to say unlike the bit in series 17 when they decided to buy 12 cylinder cars for the price of a nissan pixo.

What a terrible episode, and that was the last of the "real" ones this season. I would have given it a 2 but the RR review was decent so I gave it a 4.

That offroad truck was super neat too, never ceases to amaze me the kit the US militaryy comes up with

Yes. It's been subpar from start to finish. There hasn't even been significant saving graces on the level of Romania or the Lancia film. It's been their worst season since 14.

Completely agree. This episode was even worse imo than the infamous Geoff episode.

Last edited:

was laughing hard lolz.

but it was weird(the old people test)

and the terramax was baddass as well.

Good lord what is with some of you?

I wasn't really looking forward to this ep because I thought the elderly car segment would be awful, but it really surprised me how entertaining and well-done it was (not one cringe-worthy moment, unlike some past segments). Also the news was good, the RR review was good, the guest was good, and on the whole it was just a good, solid episode of TG with just the right amount of car stuff and comedy.

8.5/10

There's an interesting spread of scores and opinions here. Those hoping for serious car stuff want to give it a low score overall - James' excellent review being overwhelmed by the nonsense stuff that this group can't abide. However, those who watch the show for a bit of car related fun (the beige bit) and, say, an amiable old bloke with long hair in a new Range Rover racing a crew-cut robo-truck up a hill, would be thoroughly entertained and giving it a good score overall despite the SIARPC (which I skipped).

So, two expectations, two very divided opinions and two peaks on the scoreboard.

And there's the rub. There is absolutely no point of doing serious, dry reviews any more, as by the time the ep goes to air, every car geek has already seen about 10 such reviews (of a very high standard nowadays) on youtube.
Top gear knows this so the show has evolved into a broader focused entertainmen show with an automotive focus.

And there's the rub. There is absolutely no point of doing serious, dry reviews any more, as by the time the ep goes to air, every car geek has already seen about 10 such reviews (of a very high standard nowadays) on youtube.
Top gear knows this so the show has evolved into a broader focused entertainmen show with an automotive focus.

Very true. I get the 'proper' review on Drive weeks if not months before I get in on TG. So the only reason the RR review has a right to live, is because of the extra bits, like the autonomous truck.

Sure, I would not mind another 'proper' review on Top Gear, but it's not necessary.

Anyway, I liked the episode, I laughed at the Multipla and the news. Gave it an 8.
Looking forward to next week.