[19x05] February 24th, 2013

[19x05] February 24th, 2013

• Total voters
Yes, a very solid 8 for me and the RR review was interesting. They have decided to go into luxury cars at last with the Range Rover now that they have worthy lower priced 'moths'. The SIARPC was good too.

I must say though I am all of a quiver for next weeks Africa Challenge - I hope that it will be epic.

I gave it an 8. This isn't Motor Week and I don't except super serious business from Top Gear. I enjoyed the Multipla, especially the first part. I like watching them build stuff, like the boats way back when. It wasn't there best but it certainly wasn't their worst. I got some good laughs, especially the cracks at James May. Speaking of which, loved his segment. Lot of fun to watch him race the Terramax, and the Transformers score was bonus points for me. News was good too.

To the negative nancies, all I have to say is:

y-so-srs-2.jpg

What exactly could James May have said or done to make it a proper review, I happen to believe that racing an autonomous truck across that landscape is a better demonstration of the SUV's ability then watching some motoring journalist be guided up a pre-selected hill that Land Rover PR found a collection of journalists to drive up and down.

Worst episode of a not so good season so far. :(

Main segment of the old people cars was just simply so boring that i can hardly even remember what happened in rest of the episode.
RR was ok, but i would have actually been interested to see more about the car. Though i will say the "PC truck" vs RR was actually one of the better ones of these they have done.

And about the people who say not to expect car review show, non of us are. Yet i think Top Gear this season has been quite tired and the cocking about filler segments have been one of the worst i have seen from them. Compare them to example just couple seasons back of the "has communism ever produced a great car".
Naturally just my opinion, but i really hope they improve.

7/10

Last edited:
Gave it a 6, as the only thing that saved it was the Range Rover film (brilliant cinematography in the early part). Found myself skipping forward through the Old people's car segments a bit too often, although I did get a chuckle out of their vehicle location system.

Is it just me, or does Jeremy & Richard getting together for a segment or challenge usually spell disaster?

"Commie Cars" was a rehash of "old top gear", and even then it was 5 years ago.

I gave it an 8. I was entertained. That's what matters to me. I will say that any 'more' of it and it would have been just too much... they pushed it right to the limit of the limit on this one. The series has now had its truly 'goofy' episode, so hopefully the special is more serious, but still a little goofy.

I enjoyed the guest, the first part of the Multipla test and the news. The rest was dreary
I'm tired of Land Rovers, especially with James driving them. The Evoque review was terrible too.

Worst episode of the season but still a 6/10. The rest of this season has been amazing, especially the hot hatches and Kia fun from last week.

I enjoyed the guest, the first part of the Multipla test and the news. The rest was dreary
I'm tired of Land Rovers, especially with James driving them. The Evoque review was terrible too.

Worst episode of the season but still a 6/10. The rest of this season has been amazing, especially the hot hatches and Kia fun from last week.

Yes but you can't blame Top Gear because the world economy is fucked up and there are fewer really interesting cars.

Yes but you can't blame Top Gear because the world economy is fucked up and there are fewer really interesting cars.

The TG guys do whatever they want regardless of the amount of interesting new cars, as far as I know. There have been plenty of new cars recently that they could've reviewed or made videos about, rather than failed attempts at being funny.

The Range Rover review was obviously fake. No way it could make it through the water like that.

2nd best episode of the series so far, episode 1 was just marginally better. 1st ep was a 9.75, this was a 9.5. This is how each episode should be, lots of dicking about, funny off topic And Now The News, entertaining SIARPC, a good car review with some humour. They started the season off really well, went lukewarm for a few weeks, then came back to form. If I want boring car reviews I'll watch Fifth Gear, I want to see three grown men make dicks of themselves & be utterly childish!

The Range Rover review was obviously fake. No way it could make it through the water like that.

I was thinking that too. Just as he said they had raised the air intake, his bow wave broke over the bonnet (which is a lot higher than the wading depth he quoted).

There's a difference between water kinda being pushed over the bonnet and water actually getting into the air intake under the bonnet, which will ofcourse have extra protection measures.

On the whole episode; I didn't like it, JC+Hammond bit was completely moronic and boring, SIARPC didn't do it for me and while James' bit was fine in and of itself it felt like a rehash because of the Evoque thing.

There's a difference between water kinda being pushed over the bonnet and water actually getting into the air intake under the bonnet, which will ofcourse have extra protection measures.

Bleh... After the storm Sandy here in NYC, there were plenty of Range Rovers and other cars/suvs that were flooded and totaled, and the water didn't even get that high. I lost a BMW and a Lexus. It seems that once the water gets just over the door sills, it starts flooding the interior. I highly doubt that new RR is hermetically sealed and water proof to withstand water that high. And water being pushed over the bonnet like that, it would most definitely get sucked into the intake and hydro lock that engine. But in reality, it would probably short out all the electronics way before it even got that high.

Not to mention that what looked like low profile touring all season tires would have no traction on the underwater muddy surface.

Last edited:
Bleh... After the storm Sandy here in NYC, there were plenty of Range Rovers and other cars/suvs that were flooded and totaled, and the water didn't even get that high.

There's a difference between a car getting flooded while standing still and a car fording river. That's why you don't want to stop during fording.

EDIT: Whoops.. should read all posts before posting myself. Tzarrim already mentioned the bow-wave thing. My bad.

S.

Last edited:

On the whole episode; I didn't like it, JC+Hammond bit was completely moronic and boring, SIARPC didn't do it for me and while James' bit was fine in and of itself it felt like a rehash because of the Evoque thing.

The idea of the bow wave is to keep it in front of the car (so the air intake rides through the following trough), not to have it break on the bonnet. If you look at the video, you'll see the water is up to the gunwales back as far as the windscreen, a height much greater than the wading depth (which is to the top of the wheel arches).

Gave it a 7. I quite liked the Multipla challenge, but as a whole this series has felt a bit flat.

Talking of cars they can review, how about the Peugeot RCZ? Saw one in the flesh the other day and it looks great.