[19x05] February 24th, 2013

[19x05] February 24th, 2013

• Total voters
I feel like there must be something wrong with me because I'm at odds with most people on here again over this episode. I liked it. James' RR review was the best part (his segments are almost always the best part because he doesn't present himself as a moron like Richard and Julia-Child-in-Drag-Jeremy) I didn't even mind the old person car part that much. 8/10

This season has been an utter disappointment so far and this week's episode was the lowest point of the series. It was probably the first time that I recall when wanted to skip the segments. If this is the indication of what lies ahead in the future, sadly I won't be missing TG when it goes away for a year (or more) after the specials in the next coming weeks.

Range Rover review was nice enough. Rest was rubbish.
I can't say it any better than this.

I'll admit, I did chuckle during some parts of the other film (such as the constant "you know" references), but on the whole it was an elephant-sized pile of feces.
And that was the worst "news" segment I can ever remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. It's been subpar from start to finish. There hasn't even been significant saving graces on the level of Romania or the Lancia film. It's been their worst season since 14.
I think Season 16 would like to have a word with you, because even though it had a few redeeming features, it had many, many low(er) points compared to this season.

It's such a shame, too. After seasons 17 & 18, I thought they were getting their shit back together.

- - - Updated - - -

And there's the rub. There is absolutely no point of doing serious, dry reviews any more, as by the time the ep goes to air, every car geek has already seen about 10 such reviews (of a very high standard nowadays) on youtube.
Top gear knows this so the show has evolved into a broader focused entertainmen show with an automotive focus.
See, that's just it. I don't care if Top Gear doesn't review something "first." And I like it when they cock about. I just want the focus to be on the cars with the cocking about a natural result of their personalities and group dynamic, not a half-arse comedy show (that dead cat bit was *dreadful*) that throws in a car review on the side.

I think Season 16 would like to have a word with you, because even though it had a few redeeming features, it had many, many low(er) points compared to this season.

Now I disagree. Season 16 was mainly mediocre, but it was a sign that they were continuing their progress back from the depths of the last half of Season 13 and all of Season 14. Besides, in Season 16, I got EVILEVILEVIL BMWs filled with mucus, pubic hair, and shit. I didn't (or in this case, won't) have to look at one for two hours of a "special" while praise is lavished on it.

It's such a shame, too. After seasons 17 & 18, I thought they were getting their shit back together.

I think that's what surprising most people. 18 was fantastic, we were all certain they were fully back, they had a nice long break to recharge the batteries, and they churn out this shit.

What gets me is the lemmings who keep saying things like "Worst episode of the season! Disastrous! I give it an 8." I despair for humanity very often thanks to morons like this.

This has been quite a ride, but I do feel like this episode in particular really shows how far top gear has com.e. Where if this were a normal show it would have been fairly good, but we expect more, and its tough when they do not deliver. I rate this one just like the season so far 5/10

What gets me is the lemmings who keep saying things like "Worst episode of the season! Disastrous! I give it an 8." I despair for humanity very often thanks to morons like this.

This happens with every episode of TG. They could probably show them taking a shit in a bucket for an hour and people would still rate it 7 & 8. But we're on a forum dedicated to the show so it's not that big of a suprise. Even the India special which almost everyone hated was rated mostly above a 5.

They could probably show them taking a shit in a bucket for an hour and people would still rate it 7 & 8.

Waaah! Don't give their writers any ideas for season 20.. ;)

See, that's just it. I don't care if Top Gear doesn't review something "first.

Exactly. Doing "world exclusive first reviews" never was the point of TG anyway. But with their old system of two seasons per year (both of which were longer than the single one we're getting now), they at least had a chance to review new cars fairly close to their release dates.

S.

Finally had time to watch it:

Old people's car: you know, there is something about these pieces that already stinks when they announce them. It just was made of fail from beginning to end. It was like someone gave Jeremy and Richard a bootload of money to force them to do something they really do not want to do, and even more money to force them to look like they enjoy it. I don't want to go into the details, cause don't see a point in that.
News: a bit over the place, not cringeworthy but not really good either
Range Rover:
a good film, but nothing exceptional. I must say James does good reviews though, it seems he wants to make sure there is some vital information in his pieces.
SIARPC: skipped him for the most part, only watched the lap.

Overall, this episode was solely saved by James' review. The rest was just dreary. 4/10, and that feels generous already.

Last edited:
I watched this again, this time with a friend, and we both thought the old person's car segments were a hoot. My friend laughed almost to tears at certain points. But then we both have a sarcastic turn of mind and enjoy absurd and black humour and we peeled back the layers in these segments and got a lot out of them.

I went into this episode expecting the old people's car segment to be along the lines of the Sweeney bit, or the car-train bit...I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't. Sure, there were some bits that just left me shaking my head but I did find myself chuckling more times than I thought I would.

And Richard does do a good impression of that Mini.... :lol:

Does anyone know what the upright thing was on the dash behind the steering wheel in the James?

http://img46.imageshack.**/img46/7618/whatof.jpg

It's been really interesting watching the poll graph for this over the last few days. Initially there were peaks at about 8 and 4, but it seems to have settled down into a much more typical Gaussian-style curve with a peak at 8, albeit with slightly more votes than usual around the 3-4-5 mark.

Does anyone know what the upright thing was on the dash behind the steering wheel in the James?

Unless you mean that vertical "mini-pillar" (seperating the main window and that little triangular window behind the A-pillar), I'd say that's a home-made panel with an old-fashioned type of lightswitch on it.

light-switch-round-dark-oak.jpg

http://www.charlieroe.com/art-deco/art-deco-electric-fittings/art-deco-electric-fittings-2.html

S.

Ah yes, I think it is a switch.
Isn't that Jeremy's "rear foglight switch" which isn't actually connected to anything?

This episode definitely improves when seen for the second time; if it also had an epic challenge I wouldn't have hesitated in awarding this episode a 9, but an average SIARPC also pushed the score down slightly hence my awarded score of 7. It's still a very entertaining all-round episode though, but I laughed like a drain during their Sweeney stunts which a fair number of forum members seemed to dislike.

Well....i liked the old people piece. Had me laughing out loud some times. Especially the cat. Yeeees it was made up. But the burial was still hilarious. Last part with destroying the car was too much though. And first part of it just wasn't funny, and the hammers are getting old.

RR part good, News meeeeh, SIARPC, well, I don't care.

6/10. It wasn't their best shot, but worth watching.

PS: to the topic of Season 16. Yeah, the snowbine harvester was shit mostly. But the 80's supercar film was brilliant, Albania was brilliant apart from the useless police chase, but with the "Mulsanne" it had one of the classiest Top Gear ideas ever.

Top Gear mentioned in my local newspaper!

Top Gear mentioned in my local newspaper!

For those that don't know, the Terramax is made by Oshkosh Truck Corporation, whose home is only a half hour from me in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The local newspaper, the Oshkosh Northwestern, had an article today about the Terramax and James' trip to Nevada for Top Gear to compete against it in the Range Rover. It's a good article and has a nice picture of James and the Oshkosh Truck crew standing in front of the Terramax. I took some pics of the article and included them below for your viewing pleasure. It was the lead article on the front page. Shows how much goes on up here... :)

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00278.jpg