[19x06] March 3rd, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 1]

[19x06] March 3rd, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 1]

• Total voters
Near the end, where the BMW is behind the Subaru on the muddy road, why is the picture mirrored? :D On my file it's at 55:49.

Go back a couple pages. Look for "Planet Earth Live." It was a show that Hammond hosted. I have not seen it, but it sounds like it was a disaster.

Well, Julia Bradbury's breasts with the bears up in Minnesota weren't too bad. There was also the fact that when the show went out live in the UK, it was the middle of the day in the North Woods. But Hammond stuck in a campsite in Africa in the darkness, introducing VT pieces and waxing rhapsodic about the courage of Moja's mom, with occasional glimpses of wildlife through thermal imaging cameras...just cut to the meerkats. Everyone loves meerkats.

Near the end, where the BMW is behind the Subaru on the muddy road, why is the picture mirrored? :D On my file it's at 55:49.
Don't have the file with me right now, but a mirrored shot usually means that the camera crew/director fucked up a camera setup and jumped the line, but decided that the shot was too beautiful to leave out. Mirroring the image hides the mistake.

Just checked it, you're right. Not sure what's the purpose of this?
Can't be a mistake.

Loved the episode but I kept asking myself, why didn't May go with an XC70? If he wanted to stay volvo, that would've been a much better choice...

@Aonsaithya
The toilet seat is on the left side and where's that hole on the left front door?

Loved the episode but I kept asking myself, why didn't May go with an XC70? If he wanted to stay volvo, that would've been a much better choice...

At a guess - budget. The majority of XC70s on eBay that have sold recently haven't been in-budget.

Alternatively, an 850R makes for a more interesting program - it's more likely to break down than a more recent XC70, and conversely with less electronics it's probably easier to repair.

@Aonsaithya
The toilet seat is on the left side and where's that hole on the left front door?

May used it to make a skid plate for his Volvo...

At a guess - budget. The majority of XC70s on eBay that have sold recently haven't been in-budget.

Alternatively, an 850R makes for a more interesting program - it's more likely to break down than a more recent XC70, and conversely with less electronics it's probably easier to repair.
Not to mention, they've all done this often enough to realise that if one of them turned up with the perfect car, the other two would quickly conspire to take him down a notch.

AKA the "Genesis-addition".

Last edited:
What was the "chair leg" Jeremy was eating?

The camera guys did a great job on this one, as usual. I don't think there are any other camera men that can touch the top gear camera guys.

Looked like some kind of bread type thing. And I agree on the camerawork. Beautiful, as usual. :)

May used it to make a skid plate for his Volvo...

I guess that was done before they set off for that long journey. Skip to 55:49 and you'll see that the toilet seat is on the left side (it was on the right side earlier) of the Beemer and there is no hole on the LF door. That skid plate was definitely not made from the Beemer's door.

Stupid episode.
How so - explain please.

What was the "chair leg" Jeremy was eating?

The camera guys did a great job on this one, as usual. I don't think there are any other camera men that can touch the top gear camera guys.
Off with David Attenborough wild life filming next?

Last edited:
Go back a couple pages. Look for "Planet Earth Live." It was a show that Hammond hosted. I have not seen it, but it sounds like it was a disaster.

It was a disaster. A complete and total one.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't have the file with me right now, but a mirrored shot usually means that the camera crew/director fucked up a camera setup and jumped the line, but decided that the shot was too beautiful to leave out. Mirroring the image hides the mistake.

Yup, here's what it should look like:

R4RYGS9.jpg

And what it did look like

oGann0a.jpg

This is odd, but I've worked out why the image is mirrored. The shot is the same place as this happened:

Dav49H0.jpg

So they've re-used the shot later, and mirrored it to disguise the fact. A bit odd that one :)

EDIT: not the same exact shot, it's the same LOCATION I meant

Last edited: