[19x07] March 10th, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 2]

[19x07] March 10th, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 2]

• Total voters
The true source of the Nile was discovered with the help of a Volvo 850R! :p

A solid 9, I felt last weeks was a little better (10). Overall it's a really good special and I'd give it a 9.5 total

If I'm honest, they should've made it the one big special, because some bits from both episodes were pretty slow off to start with but then at the end it got better. So I reckon they could've left some parts out and then just them on the bonus scenes for the DVD.

But I felt good after this and it's something that I haven't found with them for quite a while and that's why I gave them a 10, although probably more like a 9.5 but hey, it was a good adventure.

Not as good as last week, too much scripting and setups, but together they form a very enjoyable special.

And the Chinese have built quite a few of the roads in Tanzania too. They've just done such a shoddy job of it, that it just takes a few years for them to almost turn into the "car killer roads".

I said 10, because for me it was a high 9. Factoring the previous part of the journey in, it would definitely average a high 9, rounding up to 10.

Great special overall.

9/10 for me. Great end to a great adventure. I'm glad they split it into a two-part-er. I sometimes watch deleted scenes and wish they would have included them and told the story properly. Glad that they did that here. Most of these epic adventure trips should get the same treatment, I think.

This is a low 9, compared to the high 9 of the first bit of the special. I was gonna put it an 8, but that "handbrake log" made me laugh so hard that would't be fair

Epic journey, I presume? :) Very good one, for me, the list goes like this now:

Vietnam Special
Bolivia Special
Botswana Special
Africa Special
US Special
Polar Special
Middle East Special
India Special

Last edited:
IMHO it was good, not being hurted by hammond falling into a ditch or landing on the beach. Nice thrills and lot of laughs, it goes straight to the top with the others old good specials.

I thought this was one of the best TG episodes in for a while. I'd give both parts a 10.

I enjoyed it far more than part 1. Among everything else, that heli-camera thing was very cool and James' "Hello" was just...:lol: (it sounded almost exactly like he said it in that Alfa film from series 11; maybe they dubbed it in :p).

Funny and awesome at the same time while not being quite as dull (IMO) as part 1. 9.5/10. :)

These last 2 episodes were the best of this series! I hope the summer series has some greatness to come.

I love Hammond's Impreza on this episode, I have that exact same car!

Giving it an 8/10 like last week.

I just felt that the underlying purpose of the journey was a bit flimsy, and they didn't compensate by any entertaining distractions* along the way, for example with Vietnam's driving school or Botswana's rallying (and limping home afterwards). The scenery was fantastic and there were some good bits, Jeremy's handbrake solution and the river crossing being highlights, but nothing from the special really gripped me.

As an example, when Richard's Subaru broke down there was nowhere near the emotional connection or genuine tension as there was when Oliver sank in Botswana. It just sort of happened, and he sort of arrived the next day. Woo hoo.

Also, I agree with those here that think the 120 minutes running time was a bit too long. But saying that, I don't know if they could cut down to 75 whilst keeping the flow. The whole episode felt slower, there weren't as many obvious pieces of action to cut (e.g. Vietnamese Stig). To be honest though, I'm the sort of person that would rather see a more full 120 minute version aired rather than seeing bits cut, even if bits feel slower as a result.

Still, really glad I don't have to wait 10 months for the next episode. I've quite enjoyed this one. Yes, even the P45.

* not to excuse cheap scripted failures (I'm looking at you, India)

9. Fun to watch, amazing scenery, and the random car part thievery was quite amusing.

Didn't have anything like the sense of adventure of the Bolivia special, or even Botswana as the cars self-destructed less, but it's up there.

Polar Special
Bolivia Special
Botswana Special
Africa Special
Winter Olympics Special
Middle East Special
Vietnam Special
US "Flying Cow" Special
India "Special"

I shall murder May for the pillaging of the Subaru's bonnet scoop if I ever shall meet him.

Overall though, 9/10.

Great special. But should have been 90 minutes. Also a bit of a rehash of all previous specials. Scenery and locals made up for it.

TG is getting old I'm afraid. Or I am. I don't know.

I think this is the freshest thing they have done in a while.

A solid 9
Where the Vietnam special is a 10

(Oh, and I used to own an 850 as my name suggests. Surprised it made it...)

Not as good as part 1, but I've marked it 10 for overall effort.

Great scenery, greater cinematography, a bit of scripting but nothing that ruined it (could've done without the "the guys stand around talking while something funny happen in the background" bit), and definantly a special that's right up there with the Botswana special.

Part 1 got a 10, this part an 8. The first half-hour was good, but then it went downhill. Too scripted, the arguing and leaving-others-by-the-side-of-the-road has gotten very, very old, and the gushing about their cars came far too early. While I believe that all three of them are more intelligent than they appear, I seriously doubt Jeremy made the ARU. Also, it doesn't matter to me if that's the source of the Nile or not, but I'm thrilled to pieces it was James who got there first.

Bolivia remains my favorite of the specials, this easily ties with Vietnam for second place.

I really hope there are DVD/web extras showing the storms and wildlife they encounter.

Last edited: