2,240 police, 460 patrol cars, copter mobilized for car chase in Osaka

But... Police cars here are only factory tuned.If you can do better than 180K they can't catch you, so they don't even try.

Dammit I was going to say that as soon as someone questioned why they couldn't catch him.

I can see why he kept the chase going for so long...

The Japanese cop cars are restricted to 180 km/h. :p

[/Tokyo Drift joke]

Don't the cops in Japan drive Chasers? Those aren't exactly slow or light.
Unless they managed to confiscate one the vast majority of Japanese police cruisers are Toyota Crowns which I admit look similar to the Chaser. The cars appear to be a Toyota Crown Majesta(they seem to be the only ones with a Toyota logo). Also the Chaser is no more, Toyota sadly killed it off in favour of the ugly Verossa which looked more like a Daewoo. The Verossa failed and has no successor leaving another hole in Toyota's performance line-up. Chassis-wise the Chaser(along with the Mark II, Cresta and Cressida) lives on in the Mark X.

It is ;), but catching up to the car is only half the battle. Then they have to stop it. And I'm thinking that a typical Japanese cruiser, or even an STI is going to have some trouble running a powerful, fullsize car off the road.

Seems most people don't realise that different countries have different laws regarding car chases. From what Ive seen on "Cops" :p, in the US the cops can ram cars off the road, throw down spike strips etc. In Australia the cops have to abort chases if they become too dangerous (innocent people have been killed as a result and it was deemed not worth it to kill an innocent person to catch a 16yo car thief) and in Japan I assume its similar to that.

Unrelated story, but a Police Officer was stabbed to death with his gun still its holster because he didn't want to risk shooting anyone on the busy street where the crazy guy was wielding his knife.

And when they say X number of Police and car were "mobilised", that doesn't mean they were all directly involved in the chase.

Japanese police use a number of different marked cars, mainly Crowns and Cedrics/Crews, but also lots of different unmarked cars also.

From what Ive seen on "Cops" :p, in the US the cops can ram cars off the road, throw down spike strips etc.

Depends. Only the actual chases make it onto Cops though. But yes, we are a lot less pussy footed about getting in a chase than say like the UK cops.

Basic rules though are you tail them for as long as possible while you wait for backup if you think they're gonna run. Chase if need be, but it may be called off if he's going bat shit crazy.

PITs are only allowed via HQ approval due to the risk involved. Spike strips are very often used as it's a really safe way to stop a car (it slowly let's the air out).

BigJ would know more than me though.

Wow...genuine JDM police officers and car damage.

Gosh, I wish I was Japanese so I could have JDM damage on my JDM car after hitting a JDM bridge. I wonder if he got a JDM police officer beatdown after the chase, too. I bet the chase was totally JDM.

JDM!
:lmao: Man, be glad you weren't in my 10th grade chemistry class. Those crazy Wapanese kids totally took notes in Japanese between giggling at Yatta as they practiced it for the school play. JDM yo!

Chinese people are way better, anyway. :D

Depends. Only the actual chases make it onto Cops though. But yes, we are a lot less pussy footed about getting in a chase than say like the UK cops.

Basic rules though are you tail them for as long as possible while you wait for backup if you think they're gonna run. Chase if need be, but it may be called off if he's going bat shit crazy.

PITs are only allowed via HQ approval due to the risk involved. Spike strips are very often used as it's a really safe way to stop a car (it slowly let's the air out).

BigJ would know more than me though.

Here in Texas, our state police have an even better method, if you won't stop.

They simply shoot out your tires, fuel tank and radiator and wait for your vehicle to die.

[YOUTUBE]wg4NwrpXB1o[/YOUTUBE]
(In case that doesn't work, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4NwrpXB1o )

http://www.knbc.com/news/9563081/detail.html?rss=la&psp=nationalnews

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A hostage drama ended peacefully Sunday along a highway near Dallas.

A man who police said held a female truck driver hostage surrendered after police fired tear gas into the cab of an 18-wheeler. The woman and her dog ran to safety.

An hour-long standoff followed a three-hour chase that at one point went through downtown Dallas and through three counties. Police forced the rig to stop by shooting the tires and into the engine.

The local cops will sometimes do it as well:
[youtube]uMTZmFz3BUk[/youtube]

Moral of story: Do not run from the police in Texas. It never helps, chances are that you won't be getting away, and nobody in this state has any sympathy for you if you get hurt or die while running from the police.

Last edited:
Running from the police generally doesn't work, esp in the US. The NY highway partol is currently using twin turbo R/T Chargers. We are talking estimated 500-600bhp. Add to that the fact that the car is around 4000lbs and they are allowed to ram into you.....

damn, this guy beat my record in NFSMW

in real life :blink:

Running from the police generally doesn't work, esp in the US. The NY highway partol is currently using twin turbo R/T Chargers. We are talking estimated 500-600bhp. Add to that the fact that the car is around 4000lbs and they are allowed to ram into you.....

Twin-turbo 500-600hp? Somebody's been playing too much NFS, most Chargers are of the V6 variety. You don't need massive amounts of power to catch up with a Motorola (cliche, but it's true, otherwise police would be running around in ZR-1s).

Twin-turbo 500-600hp? Somebody's been playing too much NFS, most Chargers are of the V6 variety. You don't need massive amounts of power to catch up with a Motorola (cliche, but it's true, otherwise police would be running around in ZR-1s).

The R/T charger is a HEMI V8 N/A, which are around 400bhp last I checked. The police ones have twin turbos added on top of that. An extra 100 horses is nothing extraordinary with a turbo. Also a Motorola is an electronics company isn't it? At least I have never heard of them creating cars.

Most speeding around here is done by either fairly quick production cars or modified cars. On average you will see G35's and BMW's speeding there is also an odd Audi and STi/Evo flying around at at least 20 over.

Last edited:
2,240 ? that is ridiculous. But as said they might have some seriously lame restrictions regarding chases. Tho I doubt it, its japan. All they needed was one copter and a shooter. Wait for the right moment and shoot at the engine like crazy. Copters can remain very steady in the air and the guy probabily wouldnt anticipate it so he would not be sverwing left and right. Job done.

The R/T charger is a HEMI V8 N/A, which are around 400bhp last I checked. The police ones have twin turbos added on top of that. An extra 100 horses is nothing extraordinary with a turbo. Also a Motorola is an electronics company isn't it? At least I have never heard of them creating cars.

CDM1550LS+.jpg

o_rly.jpg

Twin turbos...are you fucking joking me? Where are you getting this shit from? :lmao:

Dodge Charger squad car - standard equipment
  • 160-amp high-output alternator
  • 160-mph or 260-km/h (certified) calibrated speedometer
  • 18x7.5-inch steel wheels
  • 3.5-liter V6 engine with 250 hp @ 6,400 rpm and 250 lb-ft of torque @ 3,800 rpm
  • 800 CCA battery
  • AM/FM stereo radio with CD player, changer controls, four speakers, and clock
  • Bright hubcaps
  • Cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar and rear fixed bench seat
  • Column shifter
  • Easy path wiring grommet between underhood and passenger compartments
  • Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Emergency Brake Assist
  • External Oil Coolers: engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid
  • Five-speed automatic transmission with overdrive
  • Four-wheel antilock brakes with All-Speed Traction Control
  • Four-wheel independent performance suspension
  • P225/60R18 BSW V-rated performance tires
  • Police equipment mounting bracket
  • Rear trunk-lid key lock cylinder
  • Separate key and key fob
  • Severe-duty cooling system
http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html
At most the pursuit versions come with the venerable 5.7 liter HEMI. But we can make up shit dream, can't we?

The P71 Crown Vics actually have quad-turbodiesel V12s underneath their unassuming hoods. 1500bhp on pump gas is nothing extraordinary with a Borla exhaust.

Actually, the top level police Chargers can have the SRT8 6.1. Texas DPS (state police) ordered several in this configuration and they've started appearing in service. I got a look under the hood of one thanks to a friendly officer, and yeah, it's a 6.1, has all the covers and stickers proclaiming it.

They do not have blowers or turbos. They *do* have a higher state of tune than the regular ones because cop cars can be exempted from emissions regulations.

Dallas is testing the 5.7s now and will probably order a couple hundred over the next few years. TxDPS will probably end up sticking with the 6.1 and using them to replace all the Crown Vics and (ugh) Taurus Police models they still have.

Also a Motorola is an electronics company isn't it? At least I have never heard of them creating cars.

Most speeding around here is done by either fairly quick production cars or modified cars. On average you will see G35's and BMW's speeding there is also an odd Audi and STi/Evo flying around at at least 20 over.

Hahaha what did you think cops just had whistles or something. I know you live in Brooklyn but 20 over is not really all that fast. Try driving up the road from you and drive the thruway and you will see Toyota's, Ford's, and oh my uninsured trucks doing 80 and others ripping up the right lane doing 95. Guess what even the prius can do over 100!

Hahaha what did you think cops just had whistles or something. I know you live in Brooklyn but 20 over is not really all that fast. Try driving up the road from you and drive the thruway and you will see Toyota's, Ford's, and oh my uninsured trucks doing 80 and others ripping up the right lane doing 95. Guess what even the prius can do over 100!

20 over the limit in NYC is 6 points on your license. So that's plenty quick to lose your license. I'm talking about normal daily occurencies there are plenty of cars doing 100 + (me being one of them). Last I drove the Thruway I was the fastest car on there at 80mph for a pretty big stretch of road (200miles or so) before I saw another car going about the same speed and a couple doing 90. If I'm going around 70-80 and you are stationary I'm going MUCH faster than you and you need huge acceleration.

At most the pursuit versions come with the venerable 5.7 liter HEMI. But we can make up shit dream, can't we?
From what I know the ones in use by NYC police are the TT HEMI's.
The P71 Crown Vics actually have quad-turbodiesel V12s underneath their unassuming hoods. 1500bhp on pump gas is nothing extraordinary with a Borla exhaust.
You ever seen one accelerate from a stand still? I was on the road once when I saw a Crown Vic interceptor take off from a standstill. His 0-60 was about 3 seconds, the reason I know that is because I was going 60 when I was about where his trunk was and he was IN FRONT of me by the time I was where his nose would have been.

Yes an interceptor doesn't have to have a 200+ top end but they have to accelerate VERY quickly to catch up to speeding cars BEFORE they have a chance to cause issues/disappear.